Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood stiff at the end, a definite over the mark free kick not paid! To be honest glad to see the tiggy touchwoods not paid though, if only they'd do it all game... Been kind of hoping the Pies make Finals to shake things up (and keep Essendon or Carlton out), looks like not to be now... Swans found their spark, Lions look out!!

Collingwood stiff at the end, a definite over the mark free kick not paid! To be honest glad to see the tiggy touchwoods not paid though, if only they'd do it all game... Been kind of hoping the Pies make Finals to shake things up (and keep Essendon or Carlton out), looks like not to be now... Swans found their spark, Lions look out!!
The only reason that didn't get paid was the Collingwood player decided to bolt it while the umpire was telling the Sydney player to get back.

Great comeback win for the Swans with the help of the umpires.

Collingwood supporters melting about the umpires is rich when they carried them to a flag last year, EABD you toothless muppets.

A few interesting games this weekend with a direct influence on the makeup of the finals. Pies done after last night, now we just need the Gold Coast to pull something from where the Sun don't shine to win their first game away against the bombers.

200 (29).gif

Without asking for too much, I'd like to then end the weekend in style with the Hawks beating Carlton, the Saints smashing the Tiges and Adelaide beating the Doggies!

IMG_1143.gif

If you think the umpires didn’t influence things in the last qtr then you are kidding yourself. Yes great, it was Collingwood, but if we lost the free kick count 1-10 in the last qtr we would be livid. That doesn’t take into account the non 50 call either. Cost my son his 5 leg multi. Filth to win and McStay to kick 2 were his misses.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually not, that's a pretty illogical thing to suggest.

There were also two late deliberate out of bounds in a row which we're quite line ball.
It just says how many frees were paid.

It doesn't say how many are wrong nor does it say how many were missed

It's actually not, that's a pretty illogical thing to suggest.

There were also two late deliberate out of bounds in a row which we're quite line ball.
The Cox one, yes, but the Moore one was pretty obvious I’d have thought.

But there was also the incident where it looked pretty clear thAt Elliot? and ball were over the boundary line before he centred the ball into the 50.

That's thing about that rule "Insufficient Intent" we're here arguing/discussing what is & what isn't insufficient intent. It's just an awful, stupid rule. One could argue, as a commentator mentioned in last nights game, everytime a ball goes out of bounds it's insufficient intent.

The rule has evolved this year to the point that if you kick the ball off the ground & it goes out of bounds, it's deemed a free. If you give the umpires an interpretive rule, each umpire will interpret it differently. It's the rule that is the problem, not the umpires. The AFLW has it right, or at least better.

The Cox one, yes, but the Moore one was pretty obvious I’d have thought.

But there was also the incident where it looked pretty clear thAt Elliot? and ball were over the boundary line before he centred the ball into the 50.

Remember them crying about Higgin's goal early in the year? This is what it looks like when the ball is over the line.

Lions are currently absolutely doing GWS in a very similar fashion to how they did us

That's thing about that rule "Insufficient Intent" we're here arguing/discussing what is & what isn't insufficient intent. It's just an awful, stupid rule. One could argue, as a commentator mentioned in last nights game, everytime a ball goes out of bounds it's insufficient intent.

The rule has evolved this year to the point that if you kick the ball off the ground & it goes out of bounds, it's deemed a free. If you give the umpires an interpretive rule, each umpire will interpret it differently. It's the rule that is the problem, not the umpires. The AFLW has it right, or at least better.
Especially when you’re using an odd-shaped ball that can turn any which way at any time.
And when they call it when a team is actually kicking into their own half or 50 it does my head in.

Having said that, there are times when it is clearly a deliberate foul and the umps should pay that. It all about commonsense really - and sometimes there is none. Like the calls for holding the ball, and who is holding who in a contest, and whether hands in the back is/is not paid - it’s up to the judgement of the ump and that’s why, to me, the more umps there are, the more chance there are of non-consistent calls.

Wow, two big chokes by Brisbane and Norf.

I expected that with Norf but I didn't expect that with Brisbane in the form they have been in and at home at the Gabbatoir.

GWS have taken over from Collingwood as the new last quarter comeback kings, they are great to watch when they get on a roll.

Not so great to watch in our elimination final last year though when they got on a roll from the opening bounce.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back