Game Day 2024 Grand Final - South Melbourne vs Fitzroy, Sat 28 Sept at MCG 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The Lions are a good but flawed team that Geelong has had the wood over in the last couple of years and it's a shame that the boys couldn't get over the line last week because this year's flag was definitely Geelong's for the taking.
Yes agree
But they completely swamped us second half

How'd you reckon GWS feel, 44 points up at home against the eventual premiers?

Who knows how the season pans out if they hold on in that game.

I think they are the team that really missed their opportunity. Even more so than us.

Utter bullshiit
They wobble in Grand Finals, its still very much a thing.

There are only 2 teams Geelong can play in a GF and I will be confident, and the Pies are one of those two teams.

They did win the flag last year.
I think you're stretching the truth there.
They shithoused a 4 point win over a Brisbane team who couldn't at the time win at the MCG when they had every gift imaginable handed to them including umpiring decisions late.
They lucked out bigtime.

Yes they won. But that means since 1990 they went 2W, 1D, 4L in GFs. And even then they should be 1W and 0D but the footy gods hate St Kilda more than they hate Collingwood.

Slipney are the worst modern day GF team but lets not act like the Pies erased the "Colliwobbles" just because they won a flag in 1990.

I think they are the team that really missed their opportunity. Even more so than us.
So many teams will rue not winning this years flag, EVERY team had a gaping hole somewhere on their list or in their gameplan.
For us its the midfield, Sydney have no good, reliable key forwards and now have a mental burden in Grand Finals that won't go until (maybe, big maybe IF they can ever win one), Port have a great top 10 on their list but then they have issues to the point Charlie "statue" Dixon was selected frequently, and GWS have a lot of talent but had the wrong players drop off and while their best forward and defender are two of the best in the league, their young talent just wasn't at the level needed to sustain a challenge.

Brisbane had the right blend of youth end experience, they had their slump early in the season but it wasn't catastrophic enough to ruin their year like it did to the Pies, and then they got on a roll and their influential players really stepped up over the last 5 games of the season and during the finals.

What will be interesting is if next season returns to the norm, where there is a clear top 5/6 teams of which usually only 2 or 3 are legitimate premiership chances, the bottom 4 become fairly uncompetitive again especially the wooden spooners and teams 8th to 17th are just sort of there and making up the numbers.
Or do we get a repeat of this year where teams 1-10 have ridiculous seasons, we see teams unlucky to miss finals who could have had an impact, we see teams in the top 6 all have legitimate flag claims, and we get another cracking season.

Was at the game and was stunned by Sydney's lack of intensity, but also how risk-averse their game style was.

Sure, their trademark in my eyes has always been short hit-up kicks into the forward line, but that was ridiculous today.

And that midfield, like Port's, is starting to gain a reputation as defensively inept, or at least careless.

We weren’t good enough to beat Lioms so we’ll done to them. Still feels like we blew it this year.
To be the best you have to beat the best. We had an extra week of rest and it was in our home state. If we were truly better, there's no excuse for losing last week. If the tables turned because of a single injury to Max Holmes, then all that proves is we didn't have the necessary midfield depth or coaching nous to correct on the run.

Credit to Brisbane. Really, their form since the middle of the year was telling. They stormed home after a poor start, and to get up after being so far down in the semi and prelim finals are testament to their collective strength of character. So often have I seen Geelong sides concede leads in the finals; it must be amazing to watch fro the other side, seeing your team quickly erode the lead and edge back in front as they did two weeks in a row.

GF day doesn't really hurt. Brisbane have been a good team for a long time, and it's fair they get one. Interstate winners, especially from traditional non-footy states, don't really bother me anyway. It's an acknowledgement and move on sort of deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at the game and was stunned by Sydney's lack of intensity, but also how risk-averse their game style was.

Sure, their trademark in my eyes has always been short hit-up kicks into the forward line, but that was ridiculous today.

And that midfield, like Port's, is starting to gain a reputation as defensively inept, or at least careless.
I wasn't at the game but I too was wondering when Sydney would increase their pressure, but it never happened. After losing the first quarter, at the start of the 2nd I thought here we go, but it was Brisbane not Sydney.

Rampe is the only player the Swans have who is older than 31. I'm struggling to see how they're not there or thereabouts again next year.
I agree and said as much going into the game. Felt it was Brisbane's last chance for a while, because they've been up for so long and a number of their key players are now in the twilight of their careers. They have some good quality kids coming through but I don't know if that would be enough to keep them in contention past this year.

Sydney, however, have been driven by mostly young players. Their midfield, for instance, is still very young. They'll continue to be in contention for a while, but they may need to re-work how they play, because it's clear at the moment that it doesn't stack up in GFs. As good as the midfield may be, seems they need to get better at winning in the contest. Might take a few down year for them to figure out how to play premiership footy.

Well, that was the worst game BT has ever called. He was absolute crap.
Do you remember his 2022 Grand Final call? You would not hear a more disinterested call if you tried! Dunno what was up, because I've heard his call for MMM for the qualifying final vs Collingwood and it was actually really good.

You know, for BT.

The Lions are a good but flawed team that Geelong has had the wood over in the last couple of years and it's a shame that the boys couldn't get over the line last week because this year's flag was definitely Geelong's for the taking.
Yeah. Could of, should of, would have.

Didn't.

Lions won it. The rest is just sour grapes, really.

We had a great year. Im proud of our boys. Dismissing Lions and talking them down and bringing up history is just pointless and means nothing.

Lions win and they were better when it mattered. It's that simple.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Grand Final - South Melbourne vs Fitzroy, Sat 28 Sept at MCG 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back