Game Day 2024 Grand Final - South Melbourne vs Fitzroy, Sat 28 Sept at MCG 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I try to rationalise the PF loss by believing we would have been beaten today in the GF
Will be interesting if the Lions get up comfortably.
Well can add 24 to the years of 20, 19, 17, 16, 13 and 08 as blown chances.

As for this game I think Brisbane will win.

Will be interesting if the Lions get up comfortably.
Well can add 24 to the years of 20, 19, 17, 16, 13 and 08 as blown chances.

As for this game I think Brisbane will win.

Not every prelim loss is a blown chance

I know. But the ones we could/should have won are blown chances. And I listed all of the ones we were in a great position to win.
You cant include this year in that conversation, yes we could have won it but we werent expected to even get close so we should be reasonably content.

I know. But the ones we could/should have won are blown chances. And I listed all of the ones we were in a great position to win.

08 was a blown chance, and 2020 if we could have held our nerves either side of half-time, who knows - but we also spent majority of that match with Parfitt playing with a broken hand & Ablett with a broken shoulder

Not sure this year really is - even if we won last week, we limped to the final siren and doubtful we would have been at our best today

2013 we had chances, but we also had a number of key players missing due to injuries or entering the finals under duress

It's easy to think "what if" we could have made it through the grand final in a few of those years, but not sure too many of them really are blown chances upon reflection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You cant include this year in that conversation, yes we could have won it but we werent expected to even get close so we should be reasonably content.
This year was absolutely a blown chance.

People didn’t expect us to win the flag at the start of the year but we were favourites going into the prelim after destroying port in Adelaide and a weeks rest.
We were coming up against an interstate team at the MCG team that finished outside the top 4 and had to come from 8 goals down the previous week on the road. We had barely any injuries and looked incredibly fit.

Yes we lost and it is what it is now but it doesn’t mean it’s all ok because we weren’t expected to win by the experts. Who cares if we weren’t expected to win.
Were Hawthorn expected to win in 2008?
Eagles 2018?
We shot ourselves in the foot by missing goals early and not being able to hold the lead with 2 minutes on the clock.
We genuinely could have won the flag.

Anyway that’s all I’ll say on this in this thread.

Hopefully todays game is a cracker.

Shame. BT will still be with us that is.
I’ll be watching Foxtel broadcast, although not sure King + Dermie will be any better 🤦🏻‍♀️

Definitely muting + sticking with KROCK

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Grand Final - South Melbourne vs Fitzroy, Sat 28 Sept at MCG 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back