List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

At this late stage it feels like both Pez and Cumming are both leaving. In which case, I’m glad we have Fonti. And I really hope the Stone move works.

I do feel like we need a high quality wingman… Wehr and Angwin don’t quite cut it for mine… Look at the impact Cumming made when he played on the wing compared to those two.

At this late stage it feels like both Pez and Cumming are both leaving. In which case, I’m glad we have Fonti. And I really hope the Stone move works.

I do feel like we need a high quality wingman… Wehr and Angwin don’t quite cut it for mine… Look at the impact Cumming made when he played on the wing compared to those two.
Do you think we would lose both? I thought we would be able to keep one of them, throwing some extra $ left by the departure of the other.

I think the longer they don’t sign the contract extension that have been put to them, the less likely it is they stay - but some players want to focus on the games and finals and only decide on the contract later?

Not sure how long in the season it was last time that Perryman and Cummings signed their current contract - may offer us some insight.

With Cumming, presumably he wanted to hold off on contract talks until he'd played some games. Unfortunately, with his injury, he won't have further opportunity to show his wares to drive up his $$. So, I'd expect his agent is looking deeply at his options right now. I think if he doesn't sign in the next couple of weeks, then he's likely leaving.

I'd agree. We've been crying out for a top notch winger for several seasons. Tom Scully was superb for us in the early days, but we seem to pay it off now. I occasionally see some stats about how much possession we give off to other teams on the wing - it's a bit staggering.

Do we try to steal someone who's not getting a first-grade chance, or just aim to draft? Noting that I reckon we also need an inside midfielder (or probably more accurately an inside-outside mid IMHO) to complement Green in the middle ... who would effectively replace Ward in the rotation.

I'd agree. We've been crying out for a top notch winger for several seasons. Tom Scully was superb for us in the early days, but we seem to pay it off now. I occasionally see some stats about how much possession we give off to other teams on the wing - it's a bit staggering.

Do we try to steal someone who's not getting a first-grade chance, or just aim to draft? Noting that I reckon we also need an inside midfielder (or probably more accurately an inside-outside mid IMHO) to complement Green in the middle ... who would effectively replace Ward in the rotation.
You could say we already have one in Kelly, but he's been needed in the centre square of late. If Ward hangs up the boots - we'll be short 2 good wingers. Leake seems to coming along in the VFL.

You could say we already have one in Kelly, but he's been needed in the centre square of late. If Ward hangs up the boots - we'll be short 2 good wingers. Leake seems to coming along in the VFL.
Where's Leake been playing - in the middle, or wing? Given the number of clearances, I'd suggest in the middle (sorry, I have not had time recently to match VFL games). However, he's a bit of a utility, so could probably - like how Callaghan started - play mostly wing and roll through the middle sometimes. But does that give us the "high quality" winger we're wanting? That's the nub of the question.

Wings are a hard one to get right, most variation between how different clubs use them in terms of set up and movement off the ball as well, so without watching much state league footy to see what fringe options elsewhere are actually doing it's hard to get a vibe for how they 'fit'. Jaxon Binns is killing it numbers wise, both with the footy and ground coverage, for the Blues but can't break in past Acres and Hollands Jnr, kicking still leaves a bit to be desired though. Caleb Mitchell (Swans), Miller Bergman (North Melbourne), Ed Allen (Collingwood) are a couple of others that played wing in their draft year that seem to have kicked on, but I don't watch nearly enough state league footy to say whether or not these would be worthwhile.

Draft wise, Xavier Lindsay could fit the bill well but I think his future is more on the inside. Langford, Davis and Travaglia have traits that would suit the wing well but haven't quite had the exposure there either.

Where's Leake been playing - in the middle, or wing? Given the number of clearances, I'd suggest in the middle (sorry, I have not had time recently to match VFL games). However, he's a bit of a utility, so could probably - like how Callaghan started - play mostly wing and roll through the middle sometimes. But does that give us the "high quality" winger we're wanting? That's the nub of the question.
Leake has been mostly midfield and looking promising.
Having a decent pre-season and natural improvement throws him up as a possibility. Time will tell us if he's part of the answer to your question.

Wings are a hard one to get right, most variation between how different clubs use them in terms of set up and movement off the ball as well, so without watching much state league footy to see what fringe options elsewhere are actually doing it's hard to get a vibe for how they 'fit'. Jaxon Binns is killing it numbers wise, both with the footy and ground coverage, for the Blues but can't break in past Acres and Hollands Jnr, kicking still leaves a bit to be desired though. Caleb Mitchell (Swans), Miller Bergman (North Melbourne), Ed Allen (Collingwood) are a couple of others that played wing in their draft year that seem to have kicked on, but I don't watch nearly enough state league footy to say whether or not these would be worthwhile.

Draft wise, Xavier Lindsay could fit the bill well but I think his future is more on the inside. Langford, Davis and Travaglia have traits that would suit the wing well but haven't quite had the exposure there either.
Thanks Bangers. What are your thoughts on our current wing set-up? And where you see Angwin and Wehr in the long run; maybe Fonti too in the event that Pez and Cumming do leave?

Thanks Bangers. What are your thoughts on our current wing set-up? And where you see Angwin and Wehr in the long run; maybe Fonti too in the event that Pez and Cumming do leave?
It is what it is really, our gameplan revolves around corridor use and linking by hand so getting high quality centre square mids is a higher priority, and the wings suffer from that focus.

Wehr I like for the wing role, not a superstar but never astonishingly bad, I've liked McMullin there as well, Angwin is meh, covers the ground well enough but is prone to some shockers with ball in hand. Fonti is a big tick, has weapons to be used all over the ground and another testament to Caruso and Co. we're always overly optimistic with young talent so I'm cautious to say this, but I don't think there's any reason he can't be what Cumming has been to us, and potentially more, so that's alleviated the potential pain if Isaac does leave.

Perryman I really want to keep though, think he brings a bit to the team that isn't easily replaced through the draft (except for Xavier Lindsay) or trade, and we don't really have anything in the 2s as a stop gap either, and with Ward nearing the end Pez is the most logical option to step into the same roles

Hmmm, so what I'm interpreting is ... don't go spending too much on a winger type, because we don't really use them well enough to justify.

And there's some big unknows: Pez, Cumming FA, Ward retirement or not, trade Angwin perhaps, does EH come to GWS now allowing us to retire Keeffe.

I think it's going to be an interesting trade and draft period for us. And of course the other unknown - what's our draft pick?

Hmmm, so what I'm interpreting is ... don't go spending too much on a winger type, because we don't really use them well enough to justify.

And there's some big unknows: Pez, Cumming FA, Ward retirement or not, trade Angwin perhaps, does EH come to GWS now allowing us to retire Keeffe.

I think it's going to be an interesting trade and draft period for us. And of course the other unknown - what's our draft pick?
Probably 20 after a couple father sons

Arguably we have 2 in Kelly and Callaghan, but we need them to roll through the centre bounces & contests on ball, to use their speed breaking away from the contest with the ball. We've seen years when Kelly has been purely outside, and others where he's been heavily inside due to necessity (injuries to our pure inside mids), and neither works as well as a more balanced option.

I guess I think back to Tom Scully, and now look at someone like Ed Langdon, or Josh Daicos for Pies, who do operate by keeping their width and running up and back. You probably only ever operate with one of those, and the other is more involved. So, we really only need Cumming, with Wehr or Angwin as a backup. Potentially if Fonti proves to be a good user of the football, he could probably take that wing spot if Cumming leaves. Wehr could be the injury back-up, and no real need for Angwin if we want to trade him in and upgrade at the draft for another type of player.

Leake then is possibly a bit of a utility, who effectively is a bench player, who rolls through wing, inside and even forward flank roles in a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m keen to see Leake and Rowston with another preseason into them.
Some of Rowstons clearance work is exceptional. He could be the perfect solution for our poor clearance work.
Leake is a good size too. Since the beginning they have been training him up at an inside mid.
I love Rowstons competitiveness. I wanted to see more of him this year.

Should we be worried that Peatling has still not renewed his contract with us? His contract also expires this year, and after Perryman and Cummings, he would be one of the people we want to keep - especially after his match saving performances against Melbourne showed what he is capable of? I think it’s unlikely that we keep both Perryman and Cummings, but I really don’t want to lose Peatling too!

Should we be worried that Peatling has still not renewed his contract with us? His contract also expires this year, and after Perryman and Cummings, he would be one of the people we want to keep - especially after his match saving performances against Melbourne showed what he is capable of? I think it’s unlikely that we keep both Perryman and Cummings, but I really don’t want to lose Peatling too!
It could be a case of waiting to see how much $$ is left in the kitty to reward him with a contract increase.

It could be a case of waiting to see how much $$ is left in the kitty to reward him with a contract increase.
How’s Nick Haynes tracking? Is he in GWS plans moving forward? Would love to have him at the eagles for 1+1 with games trigger and then move into coaching if he’s not likely to get another contract

How’s Nick Haynes tracking? Is he in GWS plans moving forward? Would love to have him at the eagles for 1+1 with games trigger and then move into coaching if he’s not likely to get another contract
That's a good question. I recall a comment from him that suggested (perhaps even stated) that he had another year or two in him, and he's made no secret of his desire to be a one-club player. However, I'm not sure that GWS reciprocates the sentiment. I know that the fans love him, but clubs do have to be hard-nosed about players and what's best for the club as a whole. He's lost his first-grade spot, though still performing very well in VFL. I would not be certain that he'll get an extension, and if he wants to play on he might need to find another club. He might be open to something like a 1+1. I think the only query would be around moving to WA, but if there was a coaching opportunity at the end of playing time, that might be enough to tempt him into the move. Very much a wait and see from us GWS fans at this stage.

That's a good question. I recall a comment from him that suggested (perhaps even stated) that he had another year or two in him, and he's made no secret of his desire to be a one-club player. However, I'm not sure that GWS reciprocates the sentiment. I know that the fans love him, but clubs do have to be hard-nosed about players and what's best for the club as a whole. He's lost his first-grade spot, though still performing very well in VFL. I would not be certain that he'll get an extension, and if he wants to play on he might need to find another club. He might be open to something like a 1+1. I think the only query would be around moving to WA, but if there was a coaching opportunity at the end of playing time, that might be enough to tempt him into the move. Very much a wait and see from us GWS fans at this stage.
Yes, last article sometime ago in this thread seemed to indicate that he wanted a two year contract. I think the club offers him a 1 year extension or rookie him, but not sure if Haynes will want that. Personally, he is just one of 5 original Giants left, and I hope we are flexible and accommodate his requests in recognition of his 13 years with us. However, understand the club will do in the end what it needs to for the overall benefit of the list and members.

Last edited:
I imagine it'll be left to him, particularly given we arent desperate for list spots, to decide what he wants his last couple of years to look like, the club isn't about to force him out given his experience, leadership and reliability when called to the 1s, but if he stays it isn't as a regular best 22 player and it isn't on a great contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back