List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather Parfitt than Stringer. Better age, inside mid which is what we lack, tackle and clearance stats are good. Easy takes over from Peatling if he wants the spot.
I think Parfitt is in the mix as a delisted free agent but they will just see what comes up now.

Stringer is high risk high reward. I wonder how he fits in our forward line where Jessie very much dominates the space. He would need to take the selfishness out of his game and play a role. With him there Toby Greene could play more in the middle which is perhaps a change he needs.

Stringer doesn’t have the tank to play midfield and can only relieve in there.

He kicks a lot of goals and the tenure doesn’t really concern as it’s only 2 years on not a lot of cash.

I think Parfitt is in the mix as a delisted free agent but they will just see what comes up now.

Stringer is high risk high reward. I wonder how he fits in our forward line where Jessie very much dominates the space. He would need to take the selfishness out of his game and play a role. With him there Toby Greene could play more in the middle which is perhaps a change he needs.

Stringer doesn’t have the tank to play midfield and can only relieve in there.

He kicks a lot of goals and the tenure doesn’t really concern as it’s only 2 years on not a lot of cash.
The longer I think about Stringer the more I'm coming around to it.
Don't like him but he's got insane talent.

As far as getting in Hogan's way I think clearing out and leading his own paths won't be a problem. He's great 1on1 like Toby Greene and defenders will struggle to keep them both out of the game.

Money and attitude has to be right.
I'd back Kingsley in to make the right choice/get the best out of him

With him there Toby Greene could play more in the middle which is perhaps a change he needs.
While most of us agree Toby had an off year, he still kicked 44 goals and remains a massive threat in the forward line. If Stringer does come in it's probably at the expense of Keeffe, meaning someone else (Cadman?) does the ruck chop-out work.

I like Lachie but we just can't afford to have a KPF who can't convert simple shots at goal, even if he brings other strengths to the team. It cost us a couple of times crucially in the finals series.

I'd rather Parfitt than Stringer. Better age, inside mid which is what we lack, tackle and clearance stats are good. Easy takes over from Peatling if he wants the spot.
Parfitt is rubbish. We want players who can impact. Stringer can win 2-3 games per year on his own. Parfitt has NEVER won a game. We could get Stringer for a late 2nd round pick or even a 3rd round pick I think.
I would take Stringer and back in our culture. He can play half forward, move Daniels into the midfield or even Jones onto a wing.

While most of us agree Toby had an off year, he still kicked 44 goals and remains a massive threat in the forward line. If Stringer does come in it's probably at the expense of Keeffe, meaning someone else (Cadman?) does the ruck chop-out work.

I like Lachie but we just can't afford to have a KPF who can't convert simple shots at goal, even if he brings other strengths to the team. It cost us a couple of times crucially in the finals series.
But, we also won multiple games by simply kicking straight. Toby was a big offender in that area during the year.
Stringer is a gun.
Think Stevie Johnson when he came to us. Gave 2 years. Won a few games of football and provided a ton of experience. I just don't see a down side to Stringer if we get him for not much and only have to pay him say $500k over 2 years

I'd rather Shiel than Parfitt if we had to pick one. With so many players now leaving we probably have room for Dylan and Stringer on the list. They're both impact players that can offer value to the team for a year or two while we're still in contention.

I'd rather Shiel than Parfitt if we had to pick one. With so many players now leaving we probably have room for Dylan and Stringer on the list. They're both impact players that can offer value to the team for a year or two while we're still in contention.
Yep and we should be able to get Shiel for a packet of chips as well. Plus as a bonus we get his elite training standards setting a great example to the young guys at the club.

Also Stringer has been the main man in the Bombers forward line for years and for him to be able to get the 2nd best defender would not only be great for him but just imagine Cadman getting the 3rd best defender with another pre-season under his belt!

Yep and we should be able to get Shiel for a packet of chips as well. Plus as a bonus we get his elite training standards setting a great example to the young guys at the club.

Also Stringer has been the main man in the Bombers forward line for years and for him to be able to get the 2nd best defender would not only be great for him but just imagine Cadman getting the 3rd best defender with another pre-season under his belt!
I’m quite bullish about what the two bummers can provide …. They play their role and it improves us

If we get stringer in it makes us immediately stronger and there is only upside. We had $$$ set aside for cumming, Pez and Peatling none of which were game winners. Would give us the most dynamic forward mix in the comp.

Shiel likewise if we could get that over the line it is an improvement over Peatling which makes us stronger. Draft capital would be minimal for them cause of age and then it’s 2 year contracts, if it does t work out no big deal.

Bombers will want both off their list cause they aren’t contending soon. Could prob get both for a single 2nd rounder then take the first round picks we have to the draft

If we get stringer in it makes us immediately stronger and there is only upside. We had $$$ set aside for cumming, Pez and Peatling none of which were game winners. Would give us the most dynamic forward mix in the comp.

Shiel likewise if we could get that over the line it is an improvement over Peatling which makes us stronger. Draft capital would be minimal for them cause of age and then it’s 2 year contracts, if it does t work out no big deal.

Bombers will want both off their list cause they aren’t contending soon. Could prob get both for a single 2nd rounder then take the first round picks we have to the draft
A couple of picks in the 50s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I see Stringer as a risk to take on, I also understand the club's thinking in potentially doing so. I must assume that they would see him replacing the third tall (so Riccardi, or Keeffe in the recent finals series) - anything else doesn't make sense. Gotta take risks to win the flag, so they see goalscoring as one avenue to tweak. Then it's down to the club, as to whether they can translate his arrival into a concrete outcome.

Our second, third and fourth goal kickers have tended to be 40s/30s/20s, so if we can get more from our third goalkicker, it might just make the difference in a season. Of course, it would put Cadman in the second ruck role, but he did seem to do okay there (even thrive, to an extent) this season.

Two years, perhaps an incentive-based component (might need to be for just the second year) and potentially a trigger for a third year (as long as it's not overly generous).

Still happy with Shiel; he finished 2024 strongly, so his body isn't completely shot.

If we can focus the trade cost around that second round pick (which is at risk from a bid on Logan Smith anyway) for both of them, then it's win-win for both clubs.

Current picks #52 & #55 can cover a bid on Smith from #29, and if Brisbane and Gold Coast buy some picks in the 30s & 40s to use on matching bids, then they will creep forward a few spots, so no worries there to match on the ruckman.

As much as I see Stringer as a risk to take on, I also understand the club's thinking in potentially doing so. I must assume that they would see him replacing the third tall (so Riccardi, or Keeffe in the recent finals series) - anything else doesn't make sense. Gotta take risks to win the flag, so they see goalscoring as one avenue to tweak. Then it's down to the club, as to whether they can translate his arrival into a concrete outcome.

Our second, third and fourth goal kickers have tended to be 40s/30s/20s, so if we can get more from our third goalkicker, it might just make the difference in a season. Of course, it would put Cadman in the second ruck role, but he did seem to do okay there (even thrive, to an extent) this season.

Two years, perhaps an incentive-based component (might need to be for just the second year) and potentially a trigger for a third year (as long as it's not overly generous).

Still happy with Shiel; he finished 2024 strongly, so his body isn't completely shot.

If we can focus the trade cost around that second round pick (which is at risk from a bid on Logan Smith anyway) for both of them, then it's win-win for both clubs.

Current picks #52 & #55 can cover a bid on Smith from #29, and if Brisbane and Gold Coast buy some picks in the 30s & 40s to use on matching bids, then they will creep forward a few spots, so no worries there to match on the ruckman.
Stringer is lethal in Centre square bounces as well.
I said this before, this is a Geelong like move, if you're comfortable he wont damage your culture its a low cost move with a high upside.

Yes, so that's where I'd suggest some sort of incentive in his contract, so he isn't entirely comfortable and stays motivated!
Shiel and Stringer would really help our center clearances and Jake would be great in combination with our current forward line mix …. The more I think about it the more I like it.

But totally agree on a kpi based contract with a trigger for a 3rd year

Yes, so that's where I'd suggest some sort of incentive in his contract, so he isn't entirely comfortable and stays motivated!
Luckily there's no bikies or dodgy elements in Western Sydney for him to fall in with! It's perfect! ;)

Stringer is lethal in Centre square bounces as well.
I said this before, this is a Geelong like move, if you're comfortable he wont damage your culture its a low cost move with a high upside.

I don't really get the worry about stringer and culture, he is well liked at Essendon, never been any problems. Yes he can come back unfit, but he seems to play better the heavier he is I've noticed, coz he breaks more tackles.

I think if stringer and sheil happen it's probably good for both clubs. It brings in two mature guys with a high ceiling for a giants flag tilt and at low cost and it helps Essendon move to blooding some younger kids. The only thing with the two players is, I think they both have young families which makes moving interstate less appealing.

The giants should try get across shiels father in law choco Williams too, one of the best assistant coaches in the competition. Another area that needs strengthening is the coaching panel.

Hmmm, didn't we try that once before? :think:

I remember him doing a great job at the giants early days, really helped set that winning culture with sheeds as the front man. I can't remember what happened when he left though, was he upset he didn't get the senior gig or something? Everywhere he goes he seems to develop young players well and has success, it could be a nice home coming.

I remember him doing a great job at the giants early days, really helped set that winning culture with sheeds as the front man. I can't remember what happened when he left though, was he upset he didn't get the senior gig or something? Everywhere he goes he seems to develop young players well and has success, it could be a nice home coming.
Sheedy got another year at the gig, pissed him off supposedly and we ended up with Leon.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right that he did a good job. Wish he had stayed for the top gig. My point is probably more that it's unlikely that he'd come back now.

I agree that enticing Jake & Dylan back to Sydney with young families might be difficult ... over to you Mr McCartney!

Yeah, you're right that he did a good job. Wish he had stayed for the top gig. My point is probably more that it's unlikely that he'd come back now.

I agree that enticing Jake & Dylan back to Sydney with young families might be difficult ... over to you Mr McCartney!
The sell of going Off Broadway I can see being a nice change of pace for Stringer.
The Hogan story has done wonders for us in that regard. Bit different? Not into all the hype and fuss...come to the Giants.

Shiel I think always loved it at the Giants and I think would thrive again.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back