List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We have to trade a player we have developed and want to keep to get a player who is 30+ that his team wants to get rid of?

Yeah, tell em they’re dreaming. These are separate matters. If Stone goes they need to find a selection.
Indeed …. There’s no unlocking the trade with Stone …. That’s an uninformed take

We are probably posturing to get a good deal, but we should let Derksen go. I agree with holding XO, but given after 2.5 years Wade hasn’t even made his debut with us, it does seem petty of our club to hold on to him.

GIANTS HOLD FIRM ON DERKSEN

GREATER Western Sydney continues to reiterate it will not trade Wade Derksen after knocking back Melbourne's initial advances for the contracted tall.

The Demons and the Giants have spoken on Derksen's future this week, with Melbourne tossing around proposals for a potential trade. But those ideas were instantly rejected, with GWS remaining steadfast that the 23-year-old will stay in Sydney next season.

As revealed by AFL.com.au back in September, Derksen has requested a trade to Melbourne despite being contracted at the Giants for 2025.

The Giants have remained adamant throughout the process that they wish to retain Derksen, having already lost free agents Harry Perryman (Collingwood) and Isaac Cumming (Adelaide) to start the player movement window.

James Peatling has also rejected a contract offer at the Giants and requested a trade to Adelaide, while Conor Stone (Essendon) and Xavier O'Halloran (Western Bulldogs) are other Giants to have attracted interest from rival clubs.

Derksen, a 194cm mid-season pickup, is yet to debut at AFL level but has shown plenty of promise and versatility as a tall forward and defender in the VFL, while he has also shown his potential as a mobile ruck option. – Riley Beveridge

We are probably posturing to get a good deal, but we should let Derksen go. I agree with holding XO, but given after 2.5 years Wade hasn’t even made his debut with us, it does seem petty of our club to hold on to him.

GIANTS HOLD FIRM ON DERKSEN

GREATER Western Sydney continues to reiterate it will not trade Wade Derksen after knocking back Melbourne's initial advances for the contracted tall.

The Demons and the Giants have spoken on Derksen's future this week, with Melbourne tossing around proposals for a potential trade. But those ideas were instantly rejected, with GWS remaining steadfast that the 23-year-old will stay in Sydney next season.

As revealed by AFL.com.au back in September, Derksen has requested a trade to Melbourne despite being contracted at the Giants for 2025.

The Giants have remained adamant throughout the process that they wish to retain Derksen, having already lost free agents Harry Perryman (Collingwood) and Isaac Cumming (Adelaide) to start the player movement window.

James Peatling has also rejected a contract offer at the Giants and requested a trade to Adelaide, while Conor Stone (Essendon) and Xavier O'Halloran (Western Bulldogs) are other Giants to have attracted interest from rival clubs.

Derksen, a 194cm mid-season pickup, is yet to debut at AFL level but has shown plenty of promise and versatility as a tall forward and defender in the VFL, while he has also shown his potential as a mobile ruck option. – Riley Beveridge

Mate we can’t get rid of everyone ….

Mate we can’t get rid of everyone ….
Spot on. We have already got a heap of players leaving. If we let too many go we will have zero depth and be badly exposed with a few injuries.

XO, Derksen and Stone should all be staying. Stone in particular as there is now an opening for him in the back 7 with Pez leaving. Stone was next up according to Kingas

Lol brad Johnson is the saltiest man in football, still upset that stringer left the bulldogs. Trust me, I was sitting on the boundary line one game and the way he treated his own teammates doesn't match his public 'good guy' persona at all.

From an Essendon perspective, I dunno why they'd give up stringer for a pick in the 50s. What's the point? It's a nothing junk pick with no points value, they may as well have him and his 40 goal season ability sitting as back up if they wanna change the forward mix, as he's only on 450k anyway.

Last edited:
Lol brad Johnson is the saltiest man in football, still upset that stringer left the bulldogs. Trust me, I was sitting on the boundary line one game and the way he treated his own teammates doesn't match his public 'good guy' persona at all.

From an Essendon perspective, I dunno why they'd give up stringer for a pick in the 50s. What's the point? It's a nothing junk pick with no points value, they may as well have him and his 40 goal season ability sitting as back up if they wanna change the forward mix, as he's only in 450k anyway.
This is how you dump a guy without dumping him

This is how you dump a guy without dumping him

Yeah maybe they are worried if he's on the list, he's too good not to play and it's too tempting to select him. I think his downfall at Essendon is that Langford, caddy and Perkins are also that medium tall height and they wanna fit some more smalls in to help with forward pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL trade news: Recap all the updates and news from day 3 of AFL trade period

Jay Clark

09 October 2024

News Sport Network

Essendon star forward Jake Stringer wants to play for Greater Western Sydney next season as the Bombers eye young Giant Conor Stone as a potential replacement inside 50m.

The Giants and Bombers are about to ramp up talks on a deal to send Stringer to the Giants next year potentially in exchange for Stone or a modest pick such as GWS’s 53 or 56.

Stringer, 30, and the Giants have taken the past couple of days to consider the move and, barring an unforeseen backflip, are expected to seal the blockbuster transfer by Wednesday’s trade deadline.

Stringer told the Herald Sun in May he could play for another four more seasons and still had some of his best football ahead of him.

“It doesn’t feel like I have hit my ceiling yet,” Stringer said.

But in a surprise late this season, the Bombers opened the door for his departure, and after some interest from Collingwood, GWS has swooped this week following talks with Stringer.

Young athletic GWS midfielder/forward Stone, 22, could also be on his way to the Bombers to replace Stringer inside 50m, pending further discussions with the two clubs over the next 48 hours.

Essendon has flagged considerable interest in Stone, a 189cm goal kicker, who has overcome five hamstring injuries and disc and arthritis problems in his back.

Stone, who was taken pick 15 in the 2020 draft as part of the Jeremy Cameron trade to Geelong, has played 13 AFL games in four years amid a horror run with injuries, but has not yet decided whether to join Essendon, however, the clubs could keep the two deals separate.

Earlier AFL reporter Josh Barnes answered your questions in a live Q&A – check out all his answers below:

Stringer is set to sign a two-year deal on about $550,000 plus bonuses to continue his career at a third club after booting 207 goals across 123 games in seven years in red and black.

The Bombers could also chip in some salary to offload him.

There remains a chance the deal falls over, if the terms cannot be agreed.

Stringer’s manager, Robbie D’Orazio from Connors Sports, pushed for a contract extension for the forward at Essendon but was knocked back, sparking talks with rivals.

The hard line stance from the Bombers signalled the likely end of his time at Tullamarine as coach Brad Scott looks to invest in more youth at the club.

The Bombers have pick nine and will attempt to nab one of the country’s most exciting playmakers before snaring exciting academy prospect Isaac Kako, giving it at least two top-line talents.

If the club suspects a bid will come for Kako before pick nine, the Bombers may look to make a live trade on draft night to jump up the order to help safeguard its first selection.

While the trade will deliver GWS one of the competition’s most dynamic goal kickers in Stringer, Essendon will move in a new direction in attack around second-year star Nate Caddy, Kyle Langford, Peter Wright, Jade Gresham and speedy Kako in attack.

Fringe midfielder Ben Hobbs, and midfielder Elijah Tsatas will also eye more game time at Essendon next year in Stringer’s absence after struggling to cement a senior position in 2024.

Stringer also has family to consider with two children to his current partner and two with his former partner.

Stringer told the Herald Sun earlier this year he wanted to stay at Essendon after helping round out his game under Scott.

But the club has signalled the desire for more change after falling out of the eight after a disappointing second half of the season.

The stance from the Bombers will likely act as a spur for Stringer who will form a dangerous partnership with Jesse Hogan and Jake Riccardi at GWS.

Stringer said he had plenty of fuel left in the tank.

“I think I’ve got three or four really good years left in me,” Stringer said in May.

“I’m becoming a more rounded player, I’m starting to find a groove with this young team. It doesn’t feel like I’ve hit my ceiling yet.”

GWS has ample salary cap room after the departures of Harry Perryman, Isaac Cumming and James Peatling

We have to trade a player we have developed and want to keep to get a player who is 30+ that his team wants to get rid of?

Yeah, tell em they’re dreaming. These are separate matters. If Stone goes they need to find a selection.
They have said they will be treated as 2 separate transactions

I hope "working through the pieces" involves canvassing the opinions of our leadership group.

Our culture is key to us remaining a contender. I wouldn't want to pursue any player that would put it at risk
Jake's bad days are behind him, including bullying Tom Boyd. We need to look at why we lost the finals, I.e picking players clearly not right in the midfield, leading to the midfield getting tired and not having energy in the 4th qtr.

AFL trade news: Recap all the updates and news from day 3 of AFL trade period

Jay Clark

09 October 2024

News Sport Network

Essendon star forward Jake Stringer wants to play for Greater Western Sydney next season as the Bombers eye young Giant Conor Stone as a potential replacement inside 50m.

The Giants and Bombers are about to ramp up talks on a deal to send Stringer to the Giants next year potentially in exchange for Stone or a modest pick such as GWS’s 53 or 56.

Stringer, 30, and the Giants have taken the past couple of days to consider the move and, barring an unforeseen backflip, are expected to seal the blockbuster transfer by Wednesday’s trade deadline.

Stringer told the Herald Sun in May he could play for another four more seasons and still had some of his best football ahead of him.

“It doesn’t feel like I have hit my ceiling yet,” Stringer said.

But in a surprise late this season, the Bombers opened the door for his departure, and after some interest from Collingwood, GWS has swooped this week following talks with Stringer.

Young athletic GWS midfielder/forward Stone, 22, could also be on his way to the Bombers to replace Stringer inside 50m, pending further discussions with the two clubs over the next 48 hours.

Essendon has flagged considerable interest in Stone, a 189cm goal kicker, who has overcome five hamstring injuries and disc and arthritis problems in his back.

Stone, who was taken pick 15 in the 2020 draft as part of the Jeremy Cameron trade to Geelong, has played 13 AFL games in four years amid a horror run with injuries, but has not yet decided whether to join Essendon, however, the clubs could keep the two deals separate.

Earlier AFL reporter Josh Barnes answered your questions in a live Q&A – check out all his answers below:

Stringer is set to sign a two-year deal on about $550,000 plus bonuses to continue his career at a third club after booting 207 goals across 123 games in seven years in red and black.

The Bombers could also chip in some salary to offload him.

There remains a chance the deal falls over, if the terms cannot be agreed.

Stringer’s manager, Robbie D’Orazio from Connors Sports, pushed for a contract extension for the forward at Essendon but was knocked back, sparking talks with rivals.

The hard line stance from the Bombers signalled the likely end of his time at Tullamarine as coach Brad Scott looks to invest in more youth at the club.

The Bombers have pick nine and will attempt to nab one of the country’s most exciting playmakers before snaring exciting academy prospect Isaac Kako, giving it at least two top-line talents.

If the club suspects a bid will come for Kako before pick nine, the Bombers may look to make a live trade on draft night to jump up the order to help safeguard its first selection.

While the trade will deliver GWS one of the competition’s most dynamic goal kickers in Stringer, Essendon will move in a new direction in attack around second-year star Nate Caddy, Kyle Langford, Peter Wright, Jade Gresham and speedy Kako in attack.

Fringe midfielder Ben Hobbs, and midfielder Elijah Tsatas will also eye more game time at Essendon next year in Stringer’s absence after struggling to cement a senior position in 2024.

Stringer also has family to consider with two children to his current partner and two with his former partner.

Stringer told the Herald Sun earlier this year he wanted to stay at Essendon after helping round out his game under Scott.

But the club has signalled the desire for more change after falling out of the eight after a disappointing second half of the season.

The stance from the Bombers will likely act as a spur for Stringer who will form a dangerous partnership with Jesse Hogan and Jake Riccardi at GWS.

Stringer said he had plenty of fuel left in the tank.

“I think I’ve got three or four really good years left in me,” Stringer said in May.

“I’m becoming a more rounded player, I’m starting to find a groove with this young team. It doesn’t feel like I’ve hit my ceiling yet.”

GWS has ample salary cap room after the departures of Harry Perryman, Isaac Cumming and James Peatling
Could we do Stringer,9,F3 for Stone , 15,F2.
Or better still,
Stringer, 9 for 21, Stone, F3
They can trade 21 for say 24,F2 with somebody else, trade 24 again for 30 31 to get more points to match Kako.

We can promise to live trade them 16 after Kako is bid upon.
Something like 16 for their future F2 F3.
So we lose Stone, 16,21,F3 for
Stringer, 9,F2,F3.
If we finish 6th, them 10th ( about right on average), it is
Stone, 16,21,49 for Stringer, 9, 27,45.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back