List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

They are very bullish about the last couple of draft classes.
I think they are expecting to get a lot of growth out of the likes of Cadman, McMullen, Rpwsten, Madden ,Jones, Leake. Gothard and Fonti.
Plus they will add in 3 first rounders this year.

Surely you can't be relying on young guys to push you across the line for a flag though, most of those mentioned haven't even played more than 10 games.

For what it's worth I said this last year as well, I think they could have won the flag this year if they topped up with some extra mature talent.

I'm glad stringer was picked up, but would have liked depth added to the midfield. One or two injuries and it's running very thin. There were also opportunities to bring back past giants in Kennedy and Sheil. Anyhow, hopefully some of those young guys bounce earlier than expected.

What about Joe Daniher, Josh Dunkley and Charlie Cameron? From earlier years.

Dunkley is the one that pushed them over the line imo. From being a good solid contender, to playing in grand finals and winning the flag.

*I also thought McKenna was really handy in that sub role come finals this year.

Last edited:
Do we know which mids are likely to fall in the late teens range?
Really hard to tell with the wide range of ratings on draftees this year.

Possibly Xavier Lindsay (but he might go early), Bo Allan (maybe) then guys who should be taken in the 20s: Tom Gross, Cooper Hynes (both mid-forwards) plus Oliver Hannaford who rocketed up the draft rankings late in the season.
Will we still take a DFA?

eg Ben Paton
Yes. We've got 3 spots on the Rookie A list available, so I think someone like Paton (for his experience) or perhaps Lions' Jaxon (if he's delisted, for his potential). Possibly our academy kid, Joey Delana. One other: maybe someone who misses out on the main draft (so, a Cooper Hamilton type).

From small sample size i have seen i like the look of Cooper Hynes and he is likeky to be available at our selections..Hotton sounds good ..Watched a fair bit over the last few years of Lombard though .He is a gun and obviously he will end up at the suns but i figure if players are rated above him then this is a real high qulity draft for mids in at least the top 10. Question is what woul it cost to trade up to get one of these top mids.Probably 14,16 and a future second maybe Maybe not worth it but Caruso is pretty good in that space generally so it will be interesting to see how it transpres.

From small sample size i have seen i like the look of Cooper Hynes and he is likeky to be available at our selections..Hotton sounds good ..Watched a fair bit over the last few years of Lombard though .He is a gun and obviously he will end up at the suns but i figure if players are rated above him then this is a real high qulity draft for mids in at least the top 10. Question is what woul it cost to trade up to get one of these top mids.Probably 14,16 and a future second maybe Maybe not worth it but Caruso is pretty good in that space generally so it will be interesting to see how it transpres.
Hynes doesn't really fit our drafting profile under Caruso given his lacklustre athletic traits

PMBangers , I suspect unless further players come off the list (which may now happen!) we may be looking to trade and perhaps turn two of those early selections into a pick for a targeted guy.

I haven’t followed this year very closely but from my limited trawling and comments I’ve seen here and around Xavier Lindsay seems the most suitable player from a needs perspective. Would you agree and who else should you potentially move up a little for?

I think we need someone who is effective at clearance as that has been such a weak point for us even though we’ve seemingly overcome it most games.

I think Leake shows some signs in the twos and we also have Rowston if he can get on the park.

I don’t have much time for Angwin, to me he is so vanilla, lacks agility, and has no hurt factor. I’d like to upgrade him with a winger with quick feet and a good user.

Josh Fahey has also been a disappointment, he looks like he has some specs but not a lot between the ears. His body has not developed at all and I reckon he will be one of those guys you see killing it in the twos and you wonder why he doesn’t get a game but when he plays firsts he never does it!

They seem to like Gruz but I don’t know he looked like an undersized lost puppy to me in the few games he played. Clearly a key position player needs years, size and development but he is 2 years away for mine. Is a Jack Whitlock or his brother an option?

The thing I hate about our current roster is that we have so many fumblers. Guys that have traits but lack composure at key moments, XO is a fumbler, Ricca is a fumbler, Ash, Himmelberg and Brown are fumblers. I adore Daniels and Bedford but they too can mess up when under pressure.

I want some good users of the pill that can kick into zones like a Hayden Young type, some fast feet that can pressurise and create opportunities and two way runners that can get up and down the ground.

If we bring that in to compliment what we have it might be the difference. Oh and we also need another mature ruck from the lower leagues as coverage for Briggs!

What would be your dream draft outcome for us given our selections?

Last edited:
PMBangers , I suspect unless further players come off the list (which may now happen!) we may be looking to trade and perhaps turn two of those early selections into a pick for a targeted guy.

I haven’t followed this year very closely but from my limited trawling and comments I’ve seen here and around Xavier Lindsay seems the most suitable player from a needs perspective. Would you agree and who else should you potentially move up a little for?

I think we need someone who is effective at clearance as that has been such a weak point for us even though we’ve seemingly overcome it most games.

I think Leake shows some signs in the twos and we also have Rowston if he can get on the park.

I don’t have much time for Angwin, to me he is so vanilla, lacks agility, and has no hurt factor. I’d like to upgrade him with a winger with quick feet and a good user.

They seem to like Gruz but I don’t know he looked like an undersized lost puppy to me in the few games he played. Clearly a key position player needs years, size and development but he is 2 years away for mine. Is a Jack Whitlock or his brother an option?

The thing I hate about our current roster is that we have so many fumblers. Guys that have traits but lack composure at key moments, XO is a fumbler, Ricca is a fumbler, Ash, Himmelberg and Brown are fumblers. I adore Daniels and Bedford but they too can mess up when under pressure.

I want some good users of the pill that can kick into zones like a Hayden Young type, some fast feet that can pressurise and create opportunities and two way runners that can get up and down the ground.

If we bring that in to compliment what we have it might be the difference. Oh and we also need another mature ruck from the lower leagues as coverage for Briggs!
I reckon with another pre-season and some games in the 2s Madden won't be far away. Keefe is probably the cover in the mean time.

I agree completely about our other wing spot. Someone like Darcy Wilson (St Kilda) who is an immediate plug and play would be the dream. He was picked just after Leake after we moved ahead of him.
Young players who don't fumble much.
Harvey Thomas and Darcy Jones playing that high forward link player.

Love to hear who PMBangers thinks is on the board

Tbh, I’m very happy with the trade period.

Sure it sucks losing the 3 guys, but 1. They are role players who can be replaced by our younger players who need games or we could lose them and 2. We didn’t **** our cap by overpaying for them.

In terms of cap we must now be in a great place having lost Haynes, Kennedy and Preussy. Stringer is an X factor who could really shine with us. If he doesn’t we arent paying him
too much so no harm.

Now we see who Caruso can bring in at draft and grab a DFA or two.

Yeah, I’m pretty happy with how we stand.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Fahey has also been a disappointment, he looks like he has some specs but not a lot between the ears. His body has not developed at all and I reckon he will be one of those guys you see killing it in the twos and you wonder why he doesn’t get a game but when he plays firsts he never does it!

Yep Lindsay matches the description of what you're after, if he's still there at pick 15. I think we might get a slider or two outside the top 10 because Richmond have so many picks, they might pick for needs a bit. Lindsay is also from the country which is preferable, as he need's to move from home anyway.

The other guy I'd like is Bo Allan, he could play year 1 and has size, speed and a bit of X factor. However, drafting a West Australian is a big risk, those clubs will be on the phone to him before he even lands in Sydney.

Yep Lindsay matches the description of what you're after, if he's still there at pick 15. I think we might get a slider or two outside the top 10 because Richmond have so many picks, they might pick for needs a bit. Lindsay is also from the country which is preferable, as he need's to move from home anyway.

The other guy I'd like is Bo Allan, he could play year 1 and has size, speed and a bit of X factor. However, drafting a West Australian is a big risk, those clubs will be on the phone to him before he even lands in Sydney.
Wce will take Bo with their pick so he’ll be off the board

I'll acknowledge I've seen this but may take a few days to respond properly given I'm busy, need to put insightful thought into insightful questions
Appreciate your opinion on Hynes PM.Just looking at clips he looks like a powerful quick type.Poor ahletic profile means he has poor endurance ?
Nah for most part when referring to 'athleticism' with draftees it covers; vertical, agility, acceleration, top speed

More details on how the Stringer deal came about. It seems he’s on half a million a year, and Essendon were happy to pay a portion if we gave up our draft 37 pick. We didn’t, and there’s also no automatic trigger for a 3rd year in Stringer’s 2 year contract with us.

Stringer’s former side, the Western Bulldogs – where his connection with ex-Dogs list boss McCartney was formed – have an intense and fiery rivalry with GWS. Stringer had some big moments late in the Bulldogs’ narrow 2016 preliminary final win over the Giants that propelled them to the grand final.

McCartney and co. wanted to know Greene was on board with the plan to recruit Stringer because of that history. Greene was not only OK with it, but became very keen for GWS to make it happen.

Tommo delisted by Melbourne, 31 so maybe done from a playing perspective but an inaugural Giant with great character and education.

Would really love to see the club bring him back particularly if he can’t get on a list.

Perhaps in a dual role, runner/coach and long term to get on Board. These guys like him know the club and struggles, have genuine love and good intentions.

Tommo delisted by Melbourne, 31 so maybe done from a playing perspective but an inaugural Giant with great character and education.

Would really love to see the club bring him back particularly if he can’t get on a list.

Perhaps in a dual role, runner/coach and long term to get on Board. These guys like him know the club and struggles, have genuine love and good intentions.
100%
Only reason he shouldn’t have an offer to come “home” is because he has already said no.
Tommo if you are reading this reach out to the club, if the club is reading this reach out to Tommo.

So we offered Perryman ,Peatling and Cummings contracts .Say total 1.9 million for 2025.Stringer comes in on 500.Stone extends on 500 if we were desperate he stayed .Leaves close to a million in capspace possibly .

So we should be looking to extend Callaghans and Snoozes contracts and upgrade there contract for next year as part of enticing them to extend .Clubs will already be into Callaghan inparticular big time..Am i missing something here? ..This is the positive news i want before midde of next year

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back