Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I must be thinking of Zane Duursma. My apologies.
who? (being sarcastic but wouldn't be surprised if he's not on an AFL list in 4 years)

Agree, Battle is really nothing like as a player Frost. It will be Battle or Phillips in the side IMO. Blanck is the obvious (and only) candidate for the long-term FB position.

At least with the renaissance of Frost we can give Blanck ample time to get his knee right, there's no rush now.
I think if Blanck doesn't recover as expected, the club will put Easy on a bulking program to get him up to 95kg over the off season so he can better handle the bigger guys. There aren't too many left though so we don't need the 100+Kg guys, just a few more onto him will suffice.

Having only seen him via TV, he looks like he reads it well in the air so with his height, he should be able to handle most guys currently but may lose out in a wrestle with guys like Curnow/McKay/Wright/Hawkins.

I think if Blanck doesn't recover as expected, the club will put Easy on a bulking program to get him up to 95kg over the off season so he can better handle the bigger guys. There aren't too many left though so we don't need the 100+Kg guys, just a few more onto him will suffice.

Having only seen him via TV, he looks like he reads it well in the air so with his height, he should be able to handle most guys currently but may lose out in a wrestle with guys like Curnow/McKay/Wright/Hawkins.
From what i've seen Phillips doesn't have the speed of Blanck/Frost to play that role

Speed is the concern with Phillips, I'm not sure he can go with some of the KPF's on the lead.

After all, Brian Lake was such a renown speedster. Weitering too.

Lake wasn't slow. He was also extremely strong, potentially the strongest pound for pound player in the league. He was also one of the best at reading the fight of the ball (which seems to be a real strength of Phillips too).

I attempted a 2025 best 23 (with 5 on the bench if common sense prevails from the AFL) including Battle and Baz.

Couldn't fit Ward, Nash, Blanck, McCabe or D'Ambrosio into the side.

This exercise gave me some real perspective of how Sam and the team have gone about building the list. If the squad stays fit we'll have an embarrassment of riches.
Given all clubs currently have between 6 - 16 listed players out injured ATM, best 23s are a moot exercise don’t you think?

Given all clubs currently have between 6 - 16 listed players out injured ATM, best 23s are a moot exercise don’t you think?

Not at all.

You need an idea of your 'best' side to make the appropriate list management decisions.

If you have 3 tall forwards who are poor but two key defenders who are rated elite then you use that information to fix your deficiencies through the draft/trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speed is the concern with Phillips, I'm not sure he can go with some of the KPF's on the lead.
This would only become a serious consideration if Sam changes the way we defend and moves away from the team defence. Not many of those 2m+ forwards are super quick. He has enough speed to get by. It is whether his marking can be utilised at AFL level that will determine his longevity.

I don't see Battle as an upgrade of anyone in our defence at this time!!
I would be happy to go to the draft this year with all the draft picks and if we can get some high end draft picks for Hardwick & Nash is a bonus!! It's when Tassie is slaying the draft is when we should be looking at trading and FA and not the draft.
I would be happy to continue to get high end talent in the draft for the next year 2 years!!

It aint a free hit if we lose Hardwick or Nash in free agency and if compo is high then we lose it!!
We’re not losing Hardwick or Nash.

I attempted a 2025 best 23 (with 5 on the bench if common sense prevails from the AFL) including Battle and Baz.

Couldn't fit Ward, Nash, Blanck, McCabe or D'Ambrosio into the side.

This exercise gave me some real perspective of how Sam and the team have gone about building the list. If the squad stays fit we'll have an embarrassment of riches.

I agree that we have a lot of good players with some good potential. I’m worried we don’t have the elite players we need to drag us over the line. Time will tell. Hopefully Sammy’s game plan brings out the strengths of the team and is enough to get us to glory.

I agree that we have a lot of good players with some good potential. I’m worried we don’t have the elite players we need to drag us over the line. Time will tell. Hopefully Sammy’s game plan brings out the strengths of the team and is enough to get us to glory.
We need at least one generational superstar.

Screenshot_20240523-155937~2.png
According to AFL.com.au we have already opened up a spot for the MSD with Sammy Butler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back