Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's ok for you to have that opinion, but I reckon 18 list managers in the AFL would disagree with you.
Battle rarely gets touched up by his oponent, and it's undeniable that he's a better mark, kick, and decision maker. Frost may be a better tackler, spoiler and quicker, not sure how the stats would show that up but very possible.
Unless you're looking for a fullback, no other position on the ground would Frost be the better option.
1. Of course list managers would disagree, they think about the list in terms of now and the future. Battle is a fine player and a good 4 or 5 years younger. The contention is that here and now he's comfortably ahead of Frost.
2. Frost's defensive stats are better than Battle's and he gets the tougher assignment every week, given that he's the primary tall and Battle is 2nd sometimes 3rd.
3. You said specifically that "he would comfortably be ahead of Frosty" which means that we're talking about in terms of his role - a full back. If we're talking about other positions it's not Frost he needs to be better than, it's Weddle, Scrimshaw and Sicily who are all either significantly better or younger and more promising.

That's all without mentioning the advantages that Frost gets from knowing the system and the built cohesiveness with his teammates.

Frost is easily the most overhated player on our list and possibly in the league, he's playing too well for it to be assumed that a person who plays a different role in a different team could come in and immediately be comfortably better.

All three would make our side better.

Battle would play across the half-back line, though he's not really a traditional CHB and is absolutely not a FB (IMO of course).

I think signing him would allow us to release Weddle further afield. But we would lose some of the run Weddle can provide from defence. To be honest the way Weddle has played the last few weeks could really be the best role for him going forward after all.

That's an interesting discussion and I suppose it all depends on where Mitchell and co see Weddle playing in the future.

IMO there's no way we'd be interested in Battle to play him as a forward. He could swing forward late to add another option, but I don't think he could play as a legitimate forward well enough to justify what we'd be paying him.

Smith would instantly improve our midfield and would form a "big three" with Day and Newcombe. What would it mean for Mackenzie and Moore's midfield time, or for Ward and Hustwaite in general though? Can Nash and Worpel actually play elsewhere? Something has got to give.

Perryman is a quality user of the ball and is reliable on the wing or the HBF. He's not really someone that runs and drives forward with the ball though (7 running bounces in 118 games). Maybe we'd be signing him to play him across the HBF and release Weddle, though again we'd be losing some of that run from defence.

I still think we are a midfielder short if we don’t get Smith, to go with Day and Newcombe.

Not including Mackenzie as I feel he will become a great midfielder,and would like him to become the 4th midfielder and offer something different.

1. Of course list managers would disagree, they think about the list in terms of now and the future. Battle is a fine player and a good 4 or 5 years younger. The contention is that here and now he's comfortably ahead of Frost.
2. Frost's defensive stats are better than Battle's and he gets the tougher assignment every week, given that he's the primary tall and Battle is 2nd sometimes 3rd.
3. You said specifically that "he would comfortably be ahead of Frosty" which means that we're talking about in terms of his role - a full back. If we're talking about other positions it's not Frost he needs to be better than, it's Weddle, Scrimshaw and Sicily who are all either significantly better or younger and more promising.

That's all without mentioning the advantages that Frost gets from knowing the system and the built cohesiveness with his teammates.

Frost is easily the most overhated player on our list and possibly in the league, he's playing too well for it to be assumed that a person who plays a different role in a different team could come in and immediately be comfortably better.

I love Frosty. Seriously.
And in my mind, I'm thinking about the sum of the back 6, not an individual position.
I think there are a shit tonne of half backs that can do defensively much more than Amon, but the addition of the skill he's excellent at is better for our overall team than a more defensively oriented one.
What Battle would bring in my mind would more than offset what Frost adds, but I'm also assuming the chemistry remains unaffected by the switch. Undeniable that Frost is a team multiplier for his intangibles as much as his actual skill set.

My position is also helped in that the defensive cohesion and individual efforts from the entire back 6 have really elevated, and whereas before I felt Frost halved or won contests that were vital because we were losing other ones at other positions, the improvement in the overall defense leads me to be intrigued by further up-skilling.

I know you and others are big Morrison fans, but similarly I'm absolutely delighted that other players have stepped forward I believe raise our overall ceiling of performance.
I'm confident Battle would do the same.

I still think we are a midfielder short if we don’t get Smith, to go with Day and Newcombe.

Not including Mackenzie as I feel he will become a great midfielder,and would like him to become the 4th midfielder and offer something different.
We got a former pick 7 playing VFL getting 30 touches in his sleep, well be fine if we don't get Smith. We can also draft another with our top 10 pick this year

Mitch has done well for himself. Turned into a pretty good coach and sounds like he's a got a good footy brain. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets involved in Tassie team in some capacity.
Mitch won’t be anywhere near the Tasmanian football team. Terrible reputation in Tassie with everyone from his players to the media.

Launceston lost one of their best players this year because of him, lots of movement out due to his coaching style. He’s leaving at the end of the year.

Mitch won’t be anywhere near the Tasmanian football team. Terrible reputation in Tassie with everyone from his players to the media.

Launceston lost one of their best players this year because of him, lots of movement out due to his coaching style. He’s leaving at the end of the year.
Wasn't aware of that. Just goes to show what you think you know isn't as it seems sometimes.

There is no comparison what so ever to Jaeger, Smith has done an ACL. Jaeger had a dislocated knee cap and a ruptured patella tendon injury. They are worlds apart. Also Jaeger never sniffed top 5 in the comp pre injury, he had the talent to but he never reached those heights.
I've argued this till blue in the face many times. Jaegar didn't reach his potential based on the glimpses he showed in his first 2 years at Gold Coast. But I think he played his best football at Hawthorn.

So people saying "he never got back to that player" the player he was at Gold Coast still had many flaws and was just developing. People saw him do some special things and Tim Watson even said he'd be the best player ever. People saw what he was and expected him to get better and win brownlows.

He did get better at Hawthorn and more consistent, but he just didn't become the player people imagined. And then everyone convinced themselves that he actually was that superstar player pre injury.

At the moment we everyone is looking at Harley Reid and seeing his marks, skills and power and we are imagining him being like Bont in the future and just being the biggest star in the game. But at the moment, he's still getting under 20 touches, lacking a little fitness, making mistakes due to inexperience. In 10 years time if he's a solid mid with multiple top 3 bnf results will we say "he never got back to the form of his first season"? No, we might say "he never reached the insane expectations people put on him"

All three would make our side better.

Battle would play across the half-back line, though he's not really a traditional CHB and is absolutely not a FB (IMO of course).

I think signing him would allow us to release Weddle further afield. But we would lose some of the run Weddle can provide from defence. To be honest the way Weddle has played the last few weeks could really be the best role for him going forward after all.

That's an interesting discussion and I suppose it all depends on where Mitchell and co see Weddle playing in the future.

IMO there's no way we'd be interested in Battle to play him as a forward. He could swing forward late to add another option, but I don't think he could play as a legitimate forward well enough to justify what we'd be paying him.

Smith would instantly improve our midfield and would form a "big three" with Day and Newcombe. What would it mean for Mackenzie and Moore's midfield time, or for Ward and Hustwaite in general though? Can Nash and Worpel actually play elsewhere? Something has got to give.

Perryman is a quality user of the ball and is reliable on the wing or the HBF. He's not really someone that runs and drives forward with the ball though (7 running bounces in 118 games). Maybe we'd be signing him to play him across the HBF and release Weddle, though again we'd be losing some of that run from defence.
Reckon McKenzie will make up that ‘big 3’ in a few years time, but regardless, you still take Smith in a heart beat.

We got a former pick 7 playing VFL getting 30 touches in his sleep, well be fine if we don't get Smith. We can also draft another with our top 10 pick this year

This. Given the capital it would take I’m almost keen to move on from Smith and focus on other needs. A KPD is a more compelling need going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To butlers hawks point, 18 months would take him to mid next year. Doesn't really make sense to have an 18 month contract.
Wasn’t he picked up just near end of preseason? So 18 months basically is end of (playing) season 2025

met an ex-staff member at st kilda the other day, in the convo he mentioned battle who he worked close with during his developing years (to go along with whats already been stated by everyone 😅) would suit a team like hawthorns game style a lot more than his current one. t. makes me excited (hopefully) as watching him this year you can see his a great player already

Smith not coming folks.

He has said he wants perm midfield.

We have Newc Nash Worps Day Mackenzie and Ward alll trying to squeeze in.

Cats have openings everywhere.
If attending every single centre bounce is more important to him than winning flags as part of a team then be my guest Baz each to their own

Wasn't aware of that. Just goes to show what you think you know isn't as it seems sometimes.
All good. Thorpy’s record looks very good on paper. He saved Arie’s career, developed Leake very well and pushed McKercher and won a few flags. I think he wants to be a part of the Tasmanian team and probably hoped to be like Zane Littlejohn. And he’d have a shot if he didn’t have a reputation for favouritism, sprays and poor culture.

As for other Hawks, Kieran Lovell is a gun for Kingborough. If he was younger, he could play AFL again.

Jackson Callow returned to Norwood and honestly loves it. He’s more suited to semi-professional footy but I think he’ll be a player when the Devils return. Watch his brother next year.

I wonder if we have not drafted any Tasmanian players for the risk of them leaving in a few years to play for Tasmania, as this well be the first Hawthorn team not to have a Tasmanian player in a team that could play finals won’t it.

Even the 2001 finals team had Rawlings

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back