Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Except Macrae isn’t an essential part of the circus, in fact he is touring with them but only making an appearance right at the end in the background. That’s the point.

One is a pretty rare and hard to find act. The other can be find on most street corners who can do at least 80% of the job. That’s why the value is so far apart.
3 x All Australian big bodied midfielder mate. Youre on copious magic mushrooms if you think they loiter on street corners. Without a good midfield, wouldnt matter if u had Ayres, Langford, SOS, Scarlett and Glen fakking Jakovich in defence. Anyway, agree to disagree. Life's too short

Last edited:
Just waiting for Mark Mackenzie to make his entrance on the last day

The Undertaker Sport GIF by WWE

It sounds complex and will likely get gamed.

I'm against any compensation altogether, but if we have to have it, just take 1st round compo off the table altogether.

While we are on it, remove the 20% discount for academy and f/s picks. Priority access is reward enough.
Agree on the discount as things stand. although if the DVI gets redone to only the first 2 rounds then it makes more sense to offer some discount. think my proposal is better than what we have whilst acknowledging not perfect.

Whatever the free agency changes are, it should impact the clubs in the deal and not the other 16 clubs. So salary cap penalties make sense
Other rule could be clubs in the top 4 can’t get free agents.

Struggling clubs don’t get the priority picks anymore because it was promoting tanking, but now we get contract tanking where clubs don’t want to match offers because the draft compensation is too high.

Other rule could be clubs in the top 4 can’t get free agents.

Struggling clubs don’t get the priority picks anymore because it was promoting tanking, but now we get contract tanking where clubs don’t want to match offers because the draft compensation is too high.
that's called a restraint of trade

any board or player could take that to court and get to crumble this whole afl system

I heard someone on radio yesterday suggest that rather than provide compo picks, the AFL should apply a penalty to the club acquiring the player under free agency in the form of an additional salary cap hit - e.g. if you get a player by FA for say $800k p.a., it would count for say $1.2m in your salary cap.

This would incentivise clubs to trade for players if reasonable to avoid the hit (which would benefit the other club) and also make for a cumulative impact on 'destination' clubs that snare a number of FA's due to 'lifestyle factors' or 'big crowds' as opposed to those who need to use the cap to retain players. We also avoid compromising the draft order and avoid the rubbish manipulation of player contracts to achieve an outcome

Whilst I know it would never happen, I personally dont mind the suggestion as just allowing full Free Agency would inevitably institutionalise the 'rich club/poor club' dynamic more than it is. We already know that star players will move for less to play in big crowds or with other star players so people who say the freed up salary cap is all the benefit the club losing the player needs are wrong in my view.
This makes far too much sense for the AFL to consider.

that's called a restraint of trade

any board or player could take that to court and get to crumble this whole afl system

The draft itself is a possible restraint of trade and it doesn’t stop it existing. That’s why there’s no draft in the NRL because a player successfully challenged it in court back in the 90s.

Tom Barrass for Stew deal or Denim jeans, is a fair trade?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The draft itself is a possible restraint of trade and it doesn’t stop it existing. That’s why there’s no draft in the NRL because a player successfully challenged it in court back in the 90s.
That was the late Terry Hill

Last edited:
Ryan Daniels on 7 news tonight said the hold up is West Coast want our future second thrown in. They want this deal done fast so they can get others done with our first.
This should upset so many Hawks fans who were ready to throw in the F1 to get the deal done.

I am glad the MM is earning some of his bread. if Smith is pick 16 with something coming back then pick 14 by itself is more than enough, ideally want something coming back but willing to settle at pick 14 as goodwill gesture and for Eagles to "save face"

Houston may end up going for 13 with something coming back or Blues F1+F2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back