Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So how does it work for Bailey if he does go into the draft?

Can he nominated his length of contract and salary terms? If so Saints just need to do the best thing ever and just draft him and then trade him the following year lol

Personally i think Geelong will end up giving more because you cant risk a player you have said you will trade for risk the draft. They will 100% blink first right before the end of the trade period

Will just be a 3rd rounder or a swap of picks though but allows doggies to save some face

They have rep to maintain if they want the land deals to keep going

It doesn't value Battle at Pick 8. It values battle at Band 1.

Where a band 1 pick falls is dependent on ladder position.
This is the bit that needs tweaking. If the AFL want to continue with compensation (I'm in the get rid of it altogether group) then Band 1 must be changed to end of first round, so that Club's first round selections are not affected by Free Agency compo.

So how does it work for Bailey if he does go into the draft?

Can he nominated his length of contract and salary terms? If so Saints just need to do the best thing ever and just draft him and then trade him the following year lol

Personally i think Geelong will end up giving more because you cant risk a player you have said you will trade for risk the draft. They will 100% blink first right before the end of the trade period

Will just be a 3rd rounder or a swap of picks though but allows doggies to save some face
Can nominate contract terms for preseason draft but not national draft

GC have offered 6 for rioli & tiges want more 😲😲😲

heavens to betsy

Tigers are piiiissed off. They will be so shittty about Dimma leaving due to exhaustion and then taking a new job 5 minutes later. Don’t forget Dimma sold the dream and farm for Taranto and Hopper and that is gonna bite for years to come.

Seriously tho, pick 6 for Daniel Rioli is laughable and the Tigers should be driving to GC right now to sign the papers and drop him off.

Inconsequential ones - yes. Substantial ones? No.

The sooner the trade period, including free agency, is constrained to 4-5 days the better.
It's ridiculous, but all designed so betting agencies can pump ads out for 2 weeks. Given the AFL is now reliant on this income, can't see it happening.

For all the bagging Cornes cops he actually knows his stuff

Dan rioli is not worth pick 6 let alone pick 23 added to it.

Shai Bolton is not worth pick 10 and pick 18

Liam Baker pick 14 😂

Crazy offers going on.

Bolton is definitely worth that.

Liam Baker is close to worth that.

I feel like people overrate draft picks as this abstract value thing rather than what they actually end up being - an 18 year old that players reserves all year and MAY turn out to a 200 game player

I wonder if our first pick plus DGB has been floated during their negotiations for TB? He’s a WA boy, and while he hasn’t lived up to expectations here, I honestly don’t think his career is dead and buried. Sometimes all it takes is a change of scene for an underperforming player to turn it around…

It's ridiculous, but all designed so betting agencies can pump ads out for 2 weeks. Given the AFL is now reliant on this income, can't see it happening.
Surely people start turning off right? Go back 5 years and i was tuning in all day every day. Currently i think i may have hit 1 hour total over the almost 2 weeks, even that may be an exaggeration. No idea how people can stomach mega trades and Barrett flexing his 17 word vocabulary for hours on end.

I wonder if our first pick plus DGB has been floated during their negotiations for TB? He’s a WA boy, and while he hasn’t lived up to expectations here, I honestly don’t think his career is dead and buried. Sometimes all it takes is a change of scene for an underperforming player to turn it around…
I expect this would have been our opening offer (pick and player). I also read somewhere on the forums that Eagles had discounted DGB as an option already. I don't think DGB holds ANY value as a trade.

I think we are only keeping him on the list in case Phillips and Serong are both traded. Even then the recent improvement in Blanck's prognosis/rehab might stop the delist/re-rookie option for DGB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard someone on radio yesterday suggest that rather than provide compo picks, the AFL should apply a penalty to the club acquiring the player under free agency in the form of an additional salary cap hit - e.g. if you get a player by FA for say $800k p.a., it would count for say $1.2m in your salary cap.

This would incentivise clubs to trade for players if reasonable to avoid the hit (which would benefit the other club) and also make for a cumulative impact on 'destination' clubs that snare a number of FA's due to 'lifestyle factors' or 'big crowds' as opposed to those who need to use the cap to retain players. We also avoid compromising the draft order and avoid the rubbish manipulation of player contracts to achieve an outcome

Whilst I know it would never happen, I personally dont mind the suggestion as just allowing full Free Agency would inevitably institutionalise the 'rich club/poor club' dynamic more than it is. We already know that star players will move for less to play in big crowds or with other star players so people who say the freed up salary cap is all the benefit the club losing the player needs are wrong in my view.

Why any comp at all? Or penalty? The player is a free agent, so it’s open competition. If you want a player to stay, pay more.

I just don’t get the argument supporting any sort of market manipulation for FAs at all.

No. Will be delisted anyway. All clubs know he can be picked up as a DFA.

Trade radio is unbearable. They just summarise and then go to adds.
And then there is more adds.

And everything is powered by Rheem...

I mean they've been running on literal fumes for weeks.

They're trying to pad nothing with nothing. It's why Cal is praying Weagles actually trade Barrass soon, so they can talk about the trade for the next week.

Trade window being 2 weeks is just silly. First week has turned into pure posturing and nothing else.

Inconsequential ones - yes. Substantial ones? No.

The sooner the trade period, including free agency, is constrained to 4-5 days the better.
It's only us fans trying to get entertainment out of it that matters. Essentially the first 1-2 days are just all the clubs meeting with each other and giving a brief so Hawthorn might meet with everyone and say "we are looking to bring in Barrass and would jump at a key forward if one pops up. No sorry, we're keeping Finn and Frost."

Then the specific deals take shape, West Coast telling richmond it can't trade for Baker until Barrass goes through, Hawthorn telling west coast if they want more than 14 for Barrass we can swap later picks but what you have at the moment isn't it, and we aren't throwing in a future 2nd for nothing extra back.

No doubt in those first 2 days, players have been mentioned that we had no idea were available and clubs scramble to make an offer for them etc... Remember we were doing a pretty inconsequential trade of Shane Savage to Stkilda. Billy Longer had nominated us, and we were going to get Mumford as FA but he choose GWS as they had cash to burn after missing buddy.

Stkilda wanted a stronger draft hand so instead of Savage for a late pick they through in McEvoy who had no idea he was on the trade table.

No. Will be delisted anyway. All clubs know he can be picked up as a DFA.
Also West Coast apparently don't want him. And he wants to stay in Melbourne.

Only reason clubs would trade for him rather than get as DFA is so that he isn't perpetually a free agent. At best it's DGB and a swap of future 4ths. We would make sure this is our last deal of trade period if we did it. I think him and phillips are the only defenders we are willing to lose.

So if we are at the point where we have Barrass done and we aren't losing Serong or someone in a trade we will officially make the call on DGB. At the moment it's just a likely delisting but if things go sideways we may keep him for a year.

Also West Coast apparently don't want him. And he wants to stay in Melbourne.

Only reason clubs would trade for him rather than get as DFA is so that he isn't perpetually a free agent. At best it's DGB and a swap of future 4ths. We would make sure this is our last deal of trade period if we did it. I think him and phillips are the only defenders we are willing to lose.

So if we are at the point where we have Barrass done and we aren't losing Serong or someone in a trade we will officially make the call on DGB. At the moment it's just a likely delisting but if things go sideways we may keep him for a year.

Ah, I wonder if this is why we gave Essendon a pick they didn’t even use for D’Ambrosio.

if the Giants bring in Stringer does it open the possibility of a Max Gruzewski trade occurring?
He signed until 2026 earlier in the year if I remember correctly.

Would be a good get for sure, certainly worth asking the question knowing he probably isn't gonna get much game time with Stringer likely landing there

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back