Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess that's:

Denver
Good
Bye

Or do we give DGB a year to learn off Tom and see if he progress at all? We have invested a bit in him! Would be nice to Rookie him if we keep Him.

I am truly split one part of me wants to say good bye the other part thinks of what we have invest and what if learning off Tom Barrass could be what he needs for it all to click?

Or do we give DGB a year to learn off Tom and see if he progress at all? We have invested a bit in him! Would be nice to Rookie him if we keep Him.

I am truly split one part of me wants to say good bye the other part thinks of what we have invest and what if learning off Tom Barrass could be what he needs for it all to click?
Who else do we delist? Sadly it just won't happen but I'd have love to try

Carlton had a very extensive injury list for a large part of the season and still played finals. I think we can finish above them, but I'd expect them to be at least top 8 (and possibly top 4) if they can get their injury list under control.
They’ve still got great players, but for mine their ladder position has a very large range.
Traded away their depth, and not improved their team.
McKay/Curnow/Weitering/Cripps irreplaceable if they miss against a good team.

Compare that to us, and I’m not super worried about replacing anyone. Depth is insane at the moment. Dear/Chol would be difficult, but you could swing Sic/Battle down without too much concern.
At the start of the year, you’d have said losing any of Day, Lewis or Frost (once we lost Blank) would have absolutely killed us. And we lost a Final by 3pts without any of them.

Very very happy with it.
Embrace the positivity. We’re 2nd favourites for the flag.

I know it was reported early on that it was WCE choice as to whether it was our F1 / F2 or Carlton's they took, but maybe as talks progressed, we took that choice away and specified ours as part of the deal machinations.

Great point

Might be the reason we did a few more pick swaps late in 2025

Personally I think Carltons list got worse this year losing Owies, Jack Martin and Kennedy. Yes they aren't world beaters but Owies still kicked roughly 30 goals this year, Martin is good if he can get fit and Kennedy was their midfield depth and did play a bit in there this year. Acres just went in for more back surgery as well

While we add Day, Frost, Battle, Mackenzie and Barass into our Semi final team

We have improved 10% easily but will have a harder draw next year

Gone already! Wingard retired, Stephens and Tucker.

Phillips, Bennetts and O’Sullivan left, besides DGB.

If Blanck is tracking as bad as some think place him on the LTI / inactive list for 2025.
Blanck is back running on the Alter G treadmill already - he won’t be put on the LTI.
Phillips, O’Sullivan and DGB will be the unlucky players to make way from the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have done well. Happy to strengthen our back line. I just wonder where McCabe will end up if he will maybe be tried as a forward, as it’s hard to see where he fits down back?

Good problem though, too much talent!

In regards to afl, how much are they behind the last minute dealing to keep the interest up? I’m sure there is a better faster way to get these trades done. Maybe incentives to close off at least one deal per day? I’m sick of listening to made up “mega trades”, and JJs theories on why a club wants a higher draft pick . Der to maybe access better talent you flog! Not because they studied the nba.

That should be what we set up for McCabe.

It should help Will’s development.

DGB will be delisted after 4 seasons, and he should aim to get on Carlton’s list as a SSP in Feb next year.

If you had said at the start of the trade period we would get Barrass for 14 plus a swap of f3 for f4 I think most of us say where do we sign. So well played although after the Carlton trade I hoped we would keep our f3.
We now are 1 list spot over the maximum 38 5 and 2 Cat B rookies by adding Battle and Barrass. Suspect we delist 4 players with commitment to rookie one of them. We take 1-2 picks in the ND depending on whether Cody Anderson gets a bid. 1-2 rookies Anderson and one of the delisted players. On that basis don’t get too comfortable with the blues death ride if we take only 1 pick I strongly believe we will trade 33 and blues f1 to come into the late first round. We will have to secure an f3 to do that but obviously that’s not a huge issue.

Are you missing the part where we got a great KPD for them? It was basically 14 and a future third. If we finish above Carlton, we've also improved our draft hand for next year. That's not trading out our entire draft hand. :rolleyes:

We started with - pick 14, F1, F2, F3.

At the end of the trade and FA period we finished up with - Barrass, F1 (Bluuz), F2 (Bluuz), F4 (WCE). Plus Battle as a F/A.

We could end up with Barass, upgraded F1 and F2 (if all goes to plan), and a (slight?) downgrade from F3 to a F4, and of course Battle.

That's potentially a very big win overall IMO, provided we do the right thing and finish above the Bluuz. And even if we don't finish above them we still got a F2 off them for nothing really.

Last edited:
Temper that with the fact they have lost 2 of their top 7 goal kickers from this year - Yowies 33 & Kennedy 17
Injuries aside - whose gunna stump up for more goals

The guys that would have been playing instead of those two if their list wasn't so riddled with injuries. Sure they've lost a bit of depth, but they've also grabbed pick 3, and if they use that on a pick with a mature body who can play from round 1, I don't think they've gone backwards, especially when you consider how many 'recruits' they'll have coming off their injury list if they can start the year with close to zero injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back