Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We started with - pick 14, F1, F2, F3.

At the end of the trade and FA period we finished up with - Barrass, F1 (Bluuz), F2 (Bluuz), F4 (WCE). Plus Battle as a F/A.

We could end up with Barass, upgraded F1 and F2 (if all goes to plan), and a downgrade from F3 to a F4, and of course Battle.

That's potentially a very big win overall IMO, provided we do the right thing and finish above the Bluuz. And even if we don't finish above them we still got a F2 off them for nothing really.
We currently have 2 future 4ths now worth no points each…
Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

The added F3 is kind of annoying but F4 coming back should mean only a 4-8 pick change
We currently have 2 future 4ths now worth no points each…

If you go on this years ladder position we've gone from 73 points to zero for F4. If you go on where we finish next year we go from 14 points to zero. Bugger all!

Last edited:

Or do we give DGB a year to learn off Tom and see if he progress at all? We have invested a bit in him! Would be nice to Rookie him if we keep Him.

I am truly split one part of me wants to say good bye the other part thinks of what we have invest and what if learning off Tom Barrass could be what he needs for it all to click?

He's done. There's nothing he can learn from the OG Barrass that will turn him into a strong VFL player, never mind a strong AFL player. Temperament and fitness are the issues, which the OG Barrass cannot help him with.

Without seeing/hearing him did he maybe mean we've traded the picks aligned to us (and not the Bluuz' picks)?
I had just turned on Fox footy at 7.28 and that was the first thing I saw. he came on like he was announcing Hawthorn‘s funeral. It was crazy. You would think we had completely sold the farm saying we “had given all our picks next year” when in reality it was what we traded our pick 14 for plus a minor slide at the back end of the draft.

They’ve still got great players, but for mine their ladder position has a very large range.
Traded away their depth, and not improved their team.
McKay/Curnow/Weitering/Cripps irreplaceable if they miss against a good team.

Compare that to us, and I’m not super worried about replacing anyone. Depth is insane at the moment. Dear/Chol would be difficult, but you could swing Sic/Battle down without too much concern.
At the start of the year, you’d have said losing any of Day, Lewis or Frost (once we lost Blank) would have absolutely killed us. And we lost a Final by 3pts without any of them.

Very very happy with it.
Embrace the positivity. We’re 2nd favourites for the flag.

Yup, also very happy with the outcome from FA+Trade period. We have insane depth in the backline now, and so far nobody has been traded out, largely because nobody wants to leave a team who is second flag favourite only behind the current premiers.

Carlton really only lost players that were important because of their injury list size. With a fitter list their depth actually looks ok. ALl teams have players that are hard to replace, but when you have an injury list the size that Carlton did, it is especially problematic. They'll get a good player with pick 3, and I'm sure would be hoping to start the season with close to a fully fit list.

With our two new recruits, I'm still confident we can finish above Carlton, especially if we can maintain the mind set that had us win a final after starting 0-5. However I'm not that hopeful we'll make out like bandits on their future picks. Yes we are second favourites for the flag, but who is third favourite? Carlton (at least on sports bet) and we're paying 8.00 and they are paying 9.00 so it isn't like the bookies see a big difference between our chances, and that will be largely off the understanding that they'll get a big boost from having a fit list at the start of the 2025 season. I can see both teams finishing top 4 easily, and personally I think our expected range while higher, is also wider than theirs due to the unknowns of how we'll handle being the hunted and a harder draw (Carlton will be in the middle tier for the fixturing, we'll be in the top tier).

Absolutely smashed it.

Another outstanding trade period.

Filled a need x2 for the cost of pick 14. Didn't lose anyone either and still hold pick 33.

You know it's been good when the media are pumping out up as a good trade period, even with them seeming to forget we still have a 1st and 2nd next year!

Better than that, if we finish ahead of the blues, we have actually IMPROVED our hand for next year.

Sent from my SM-A156E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the exciting thing about swapping 2025 future 1st and 2nd picks with Carlton is that we will almost have a parallel competition to follow next season. Usually the two results i give much of shit about are us winning and Geelong losing but now every Carlton game will have something vested in it also. Its a bit like the old days where you went to the footy with the win as the main concern but also the goal tally of JD and Plugger as a side show (and sometimes that was even more interesting than the main event).

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back