List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that I didn't watch the Richmond-WC game, I'm watching a few minis.

Had I the opportunity, I'd be getting into both Bolton and Rioli Jnr's ear and trying to cajole either to abandon Richmond and chase a bit of success. Bolton's the better credentialed player at present - and more established - but Rioli Jnr lands like a cat and has an unexpected turn of speed, coupled with an excellent goalsense. He'd be our best small forward by a mile, and he'd complement our group - as he's not just goals, he's tackles too - extremely well.

Don't care what Jnr'd cost in terms of picks; they arguably don't need a small forward more than they need other pieces. Be worth asking the question, probing what Richmond would do if either asked out.
Bolton is 20x the player Rioli Jr is and would be probably be our biggest signing since Judd at the feet of Curnow and Mckay.

Are u sure ur not thinking of Dan Rioli who plays half back now? Can't say ive seen Maurice Jr do much else than provide good pressure, rarely kicks over a goal a game.

Are u sure ur not thinking of Dan Rioli who plays half back now?
Pretty darn.
Can't say ive seen Maurice Jr do much else than provide good pressure, rarely kicks over a goal a game.
He's not Zac Butters, but he's a bloody good proponent of front and centre and a dead eye, as well as having a better first step than every small forward we've got except Durdin. Richmond have also got substantial history as far as developing AFL capable small forwards go.

He'd also be much cheaper than Bolton, even if contracted.

Pretty darn.

He's not Zac Butters, but he's a bloody good proponent of front and centre and a dead eye, as well as having a better first step than every small forward we've got except Durdin. Richmond have also got substantial history as far as developing AFL capable small forwards go.

He'd also be much cheaper than Bolton, even if contracted.
Agree to disagree, he averages 0.7 goals a game across his career and has never gone at above 50% goal accuracy across a season.

If we're shelling out for a small forward they need to be a proven talent with where our list is placed, at the moment Maurice Jr is very much a work in progress.

Agree to disagree, he averages 0.7 goals a game across his career and has never gone at above 50% goal accuracy across a season.
... I mean, he's also 21. You wanna wait until he's 26 and worth 2 times as much?

Averages more goals a game than Cuningham, Fogarty, sits 0.1 behind Durdin while being a year younger, Orazio averages 0.4 goals a game this year. Jack Martin averages 0.9 for his career, and Motlop 1.1.

He's also a different player than the others, with the potential exception of Raz. He's a genuine forward pocket, compared to Durdin's flanker and Motlop's midfielder/pocket hybrid. He's got better goalsense.
If we're shelling out for a small forward they need to be a proven talent with where our list is placed, at the moment Maurice Jr is very much a work in progress.
Why?

How many years have we demonstrated that we're ordinary at developing small forwards? Why do we keep trying to shove midfielders into the forward pocket in the hopes that a square peg in a round hole will work eventually?

I'm sick of playing ex mids in there. Either draft a genuine goalsneak or trade for one, and don't wait until they're worth what Shia Bolton is before you're interested.

Why?

How many years have we demonstrated that we're ordinary at developing small forwards? Why do we keep trying to shove midfielders into the forward pocket in the hopes that a square peg in a round hole will work eventually?

I'm sick of playing ex mids in there. Either draft a genuine goalsneak or trade for one, and don't wait until they're worth what Shia Bolton is before you're interested.
That's what I'm saying too? Either get a proven small forward or don't bother imo. We can't sit around and waste the last year of Cripps, Gov, Williams, Saad etc's primes waiting for a few small forwards to develop when our the rest of the list is ready to go now.

We need to bring in a proven small forward, hence why I wouldn't want Rioli Jr who's still potentially years away from being to the standard we need from our small forwards. Shai Bolton would be a dream come true but there's no way we could afford him.

That's what I'm saying too? Either get a proven small forward or don't bother imo. We can't sit around and waste the last year of Cripps, Gov, Williams, Saad etc's primes waiting for a few small forwards to develop when our the rest of the list is ready to go now.

We need to bring in a proven small forward, hence why I wouldn't want Rioli Jr who's still potentially years away from being to the standard we need from our small forwards. Shai Bolton would be a dream come true but there's no way we could afford him.
I think we could easily afford Shai Bolton in salary and picks if it was to eventuate.

I can see our club making some big cuts at the end of 2024 and players below could actually be in the gun:
Marchbank
Cuningham
Martin
Pittonet
CDurdin

Not saying that all of these will or should go, however there will be casualties. The name above would certainly clear some good salary cap space. Maybe we trade Pittonet if HOK steps up even more as this year progresses.

If we go after a high price player I don’t think paying the player would be a real problem this year

I am mates with a Glenelg legend
Asked him about Sam Durdin ie Where the hell is he?
He said he will be definitely back at Glenelg next year
Don’t know if they means he’s quit or what!! Bit weird

This is news to me:
Carlton's list spots are tight, though they believe they have room for strong Sydney-restricted free agent Will Hayward should he leave the Swans.

Looks like that might have come from Swan also without being directly attributed. If we've got cap space for a player at Hayward's level that is certainly very good news. He definitely fills a need if Cunners and/or Martin is delisted. I just hope we've got a CHB target in mind also.

I'm sure its been mentioned plenty times before but how good would Cody Weightman look in the Navy Blue??

He is just what we need in our forward line - smart and skillfull - loves to kick a goal!

However, he is contracted til end of 2025. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No thanks on Ainsworth. Still way too inconsistent for a bloke that’s been in the system as long as he has. Reckon E. Hollands will have him covered comfortably

Ainsworth is one of those players that I believe has been a victim of circumstance

As a junior he was a star mid who could go forward. Goes to GCS and plays small forward in a crap side. Betts would struggle doing that

Best football he has played at AFL level has been off HB. Can run and has very good ball use

He’s one of the players that we could do a deal like we did with Hollands and benefit by giving him right role in a good system and culture

He will be 30. Not for me

I'm excited to see Wilson E.Hollands O.Hollands Motlop develop into mids or have significant midfield minutes in years to come to support Walsh & Cerra. Then there is the Campo twins
Cody Walker will be the best of the lot.

To put things into perspective of just how diabolical our small forwards are... Nic Newman has 4 more goal assists than Matt Owies, Matt Cottrell, Corey Durdin and David Cuningham this season... COMBINED.

Kicking to 2 of the in form KPF's in the comp, there is simply no excuse for being that poor.
Agree can't win a premiership with our current small fwds but we might with motlop and martin

He will be 30. Not for me

I'm excited to see Wilson E.Hollands O.Hollands Motlop develop into mids or have significant midfield minutes in years to come to support Walsh & Cerra. Then there is the Campo twins
I'm with ya....we brought Elijah and Billy in who I reckon we've earmarked as midfielders into the future. Right now we've got Walsh and Cerra as our younger mids who'll take over the mantle when Crippa, George and co drift off - with Carroll, Elijah and Billy rising through the ranks.

At some stage we'll probably want to get one or two more through the draft to give them time to develop, although B.Campo looks like he may have the capacity to transition into an inside/outside midfielder similar to a Chad Warner.

I'm with ya....we brought Elijah and Billy in who I reckon we've earmarked as midfielders into the future. Right now we've got Walsh and Cerra as our younger mids who'll take over the mantle when Crippa, George and co drift off - with Carroll, Elijah and Billy rising through the ranks.

At some stage we'll probably want to get one or two more through the draft to give them time to develop, although B.Campo looks like he may have the capacity to transition into an inside/outside midfielder similar to a Chad Warner.

Need Carroll to step up and be our bull.

Next year Cripps will be 30, Hewett 29 and Kennedy 28. Still on their prime but getting closer to the end

Wilson Hollands x 2, Campo twins give us run. Be nice to add 1 or 2 others.

I wanted Liam Henry last year. Someone like him would be great as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back