List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premierships are won by teams who are aggressive and brutal (at times) with their list management.

We need to strike now while we have our list profile the way it is.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can't see Carlton cutting Doc, Cripps, George and Kennedy for at least 2 more years, which won't make our midfield any faster for a while.
A brutal/but unpopular list manager might think about tapping at least one of them on the shoulder sooner, rather than later.
Reckon SOS would do it if he was still around.

I can't see Carlton cutting Doc, Cripps, George and Kennedy for at least 2 more years, which won't make our midfield any faster for a while.
A brutal/but unpopular list manager might think about tapping at least one of them on the shoulder sooner, rather than later.
Reckon SOS would do it if he was still around.
SOS would get rid of Cripps and bring Mark Whiley out of retirement to replace him

Ainsworth is one of those players that I believe has been a victim of circumstance

As a junior he was a star mid who could go forward. Goes to GCS and plays small forward in a crap side. Betts would struggle doing that

Best football he has played at AFL level has been off HB. Can run and has very good ball use

He’s one of the players that we could do a deal like we did with Hollands and benefit by giving him right role in a good system and culture
Although I agree, development at the Gold Coast has been less than ideal, and would be a good player to target potentially. Ainsworth was never a star mid at u/18 level.

Always was a small forward who showed glimpses of midfield potential. Not much has changed tbh.

Yasmin Duursma
GIF by Doctor Who

Still a Harley sceptic.

But I was of De Goey too, for similar reasons.

Guys like that with the ego and history of being bullies often get found out unless they have the next gear.

Harley is starting to prove he has it, but I am keeping my powder dry

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watching Haywood against the suns and just don't see why we would want him. 1 possession in a half zero tackles

Two goals and an assist. Respectable. Forward pocket can be starvation corner.

But we have more than enough fair to middling small forwards.
Difference being he's about the 6th stringer in the Swans fwd line and almost never gets targeted due to Heeney, Papley, Mcdonald McClean and Amartey.

For us he'd be the first target we'd look for after Charlie and Harry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Difference being he's about the 6th stringer in the Swans fwd line and almost never gets targeted due to Heeney, Papley, Mcdonald McClean and Amartey.

For us he'd be the first target we'd look for after Charlie and Harry
Not with Charlie, Harry, Tdk Jsos, Moir, Motlop Fog. Reckon the coin required can be better spent elsewhere. Doesn't apply tackle pressure either.

Not with Charlie, Harry, Tdk Jsos, Moir, Motlop Fog. Reckon the coin required can be better spent elsewhere. Doesn't apply tackle pressure either.
And that's fine, where do you think the money should be spent instead? Personally I still see our small forwards as a massive weak point and think it's our most immediate issue. KPD and young mids coming next in that order.

And that's fine, where do you think the money should be spent instead? Personally I still see our small forwards as a massive weak point and think it's our most immediate issue. KPD and young mids coming next in that order.
The issue is Haywood isn't a small forward. Does he provide us a point of difference that we don't already have?
I agree we need a quick crumbing forward. Someone like a Zac Bailey, Tyson Stengle but they are hard to find.

The issue is Haywood isn't a small forward. Does he provide us a point of difference that we don't already have?
I agree we need a quick crumbing forward. Someone like a Zac Bailey, Tyson Stengle but they are hard to find.
He's no superstar, but I do think he provides something we don't have.

Hayward is a marking target who applies good pressure (Not Fogarty or Durdin levels but still good). He's not a traditional crumbing small forward and he's not as good as Martin when fully fit but he is a decent piece who imo wouldn't cost the world and has shown to be durable and capable enough to play that role for when Martin is inevitably out for stretches of the seasons.

At Sydney, he generally plays a defensive role on the oppositions interceptors which often means he doesn't get involved heaps, but he still hits the scoreboard fairly frequently and creates opportunities for his team despite not being a regular target by his team, I think he would be more of an offensive option for us and help in freeing up H and Charlie by being a more aerial threat than our other smalls.

I don't know what the cap increase means for contract amounts now but under the old cap I'd expect him to cost no more than 5-600k which I wouldn't have any issue with considering our dearth of medium forward options.

Then imo we are relying on Motlop to step up a level to be our 'goalkicking small' or doubling down and trying to get a Stengle or Bailey type too. We'd need to move on some players if that were to happen though I think.

Okay, I'll chip in here.

The only reason a player will come to our club is if they're guaranteed game time OR there is a clear development pathway that'll guarantee them a spot in the 22 into the near future. If they're coming for the money, they can **** off.

We can bang on about this player or that player would be handy - but realistically, they have to be better than what we currently have - and if they are, we have to have the cap space and/or the draft capital to get the deal done. It's all pretty basic. You either pay overs to get a free agent or give up picks to get a player across.

Some of the garbage I read on here is in la-la-land....like 'I don't know how we can get all of these players across, but just get it done Austin. Oh, and by the way, make sure we still have our 1st round pick'.

Personally, I'd be targeting one player through FA or trade....one player who can improve one area of the ground OR one player who we can develop such as a young KPP. And I'm looking squarely at a player undervalued at their current club (like a E.Hollands) or picking the eyes out of clubs like North for their young talent that want out.

The rest we get through the draft. And it's incumbent on our recruiters to be able to identify the talent at both the front and back end of the draft. Which is exactly what Richmond did in their premiership glory, and the Dogs did leading up to their premiership a few years back.

Okay, I'll chip in here.

The only reason a player will come to our club is if they're guaranteed game time OR there is a clear development pathway that'll guarantee them a spot in the 22 into the near future. If they're coming for the money, they can **** off.

We can bang on about this player or that player would be handy - but realistically, they have to be better than what we currently have - and if they are, we have to have the cap space and/or the draft capital to get the deal done. It's all pretty basic. You either pay overs to get a free agent or give up picks to get a player across.

Some of the garbage I read on here is in la-la-land....like 'I don't know how we can get all of these players across, but just get it done Austin. Oh, and by the way, make sure we still have our 1st round pick'.

Personally, I'd be targeting one player through FA or trade....one player who can improve one area of the ground OR one player who we can develop such as a young KPP. And I'm looking squarely at a player undervalued at their current club (like a E.Hollands) or picking the eyes out of clubs like North for their young talent that want out.

The rest we get through the draft. And it's incumbent on our recruiters to be able to identify the talent at both the front and back end of the draft. Which is exactly what Richmond did in their premiership glory, and the Dogs did leading up to their premiership a few years back.
Yep, I agree. If Hayward or any other target was just chasing cash I'd be entirely opposed to getting them.

Campo twins are going to chew up most our draft capital anyway so imo we'll be looking to trade our first this year or trade up ahead of the twins but I think that's less likely.

Shai Bolton is the only player out there that I'd say we should be 'willing to move heaven and earth' for if he was available but that's pipe dream stuff, as is Zac Bailey.

I think we'll be trying to pick the bones of a North Melbourne situation to get a Paul Curtis or Zurhaar type who's hungry for success or use GWS or GCS incredible depth to our advantage to target a Darcy Jones type from their 2s who's desperate for some game time in the 1s.

I don't think we're realistically going to poach a player from a decent club who's playing each week because we can't offer them massive overs to convince them to leave.

There are however, plenty of options out there... Just need to target players we think can make an immediate impact for us.

Yep, I agree. If Hayward or any other target was just chasing cash I'd be entirely opposed to getting them.

Campo twins are going to chew up most our draft capital anyway so imo we'll be looking to trade our first this year or trade up ahead of the twins but I think that's less likely.

Shai Bolton is the only player out there that I'd say we should be 'willing to move heaven and earth' for if he was available but that's pipe dream stuff, as is Zac Bailey.

I think we'll be trying to pick the bones of a North Melbourne situation to get a Paul Curtis or Zurhaar type who's hungry for success or use GWS or GCS incredible depth to our advantage to target a Darcy Jones type from their 2s who's desperate for some game time in the 1s.

I don't think we're realistically going to poach a player from a decent club who's playing each week because we can't offer them massive overs to convince them to leave.

There are however, plenty of options out there... Just need to target players we think can make an immediate impact for us.
Yep, you've absolutely nailed it.

It's the Curtis and Jones types that your looking at to entice them over - ie there's a spot available for you, and a chance of the ultimate success. You may not get them this year, but the next, or the next. You just keep chipping away.

Last year, there was some very astute poster came up with this gem for that exact reason. Identify the hole, target the player, and improve the list....

I'll get shot down for this - I've mentioned it before, but I still wouldn't mind us going after Elijah Hollands. Fits our list profile and out of favour at GCS....

Yep, you've absolutely nailed it.

It's the Curtis and Jones types that your looking at to entice them over - ie there's a spot available for you, and a chance of the ultimate success. You may not get them this year, but the next, or the next. You just keep chipping away.

Last year, there was some very astute poster came up with this gem for that exact reason. Identify the hole, target the player, and improve the list....
The way some GWS fans talk about Jones he is going to be pretty damn good. Doubt they let him go but would love to pinch him while they have Bedford and Daniels dominating in those roles.

The way some GWS fans talk about Jones he is going to be pretty damn good. Doubt they let him go but would love to pinch him while they have Bedford and Daniels dominating in those roles.
GWS have a ridiculous amount of high talent depth - which is why you start targeting some of those players. They've been fortunate that they keep getting high draft picks for the players requesting trades, so they basically lose little they can't cover, but keep stockpiling these high draft picks. What the Tiggs gave them for Hopper was a crime.

And Gold Coast are the same these days. They recently signed Joel Jeffrey to a deal that takes him through to 2028, but can't even get a regular spot in their starting 22.

They are exactly the types of players you'd be targeting.

ps sorry y'all for hi-jacking the thread....

Okay, I'll chip in here.

That's a pretty fair summary. It's not fantasy footy. If we've got cap space but there is no clear CHB target (which has to be our #1 priority) out there then just bring forward salary payments and free up space for the next year. I know there are some injury issues but a Barrass level player or nothing.

Spending it on a Hayward - I mean seriously - why? Is he so much better than the players we've already got to justify an exorbitant FA salary of $800k+?

I know it seems boring but we could stick to the draft and find one there - Sam De Koning was a CHB in a premiership year one out of the draft from a pick 20 and he'll be their CHB for another 10+ years. Sam Taylor was pick 30odd.

The draft can get us a far better player but also protect us from dropping off a cliff in 4-5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back