List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Still a Harley sceptic.

But I was of De Goey too, for similar reasons.

Guys like that with the ego and history of being bullies often get found out unless they have the next gear.

Harley is starting to prove he has it, but I am keeping my powder dry

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Living in WA with the media hype, I wanted to be a sceptic, but the media is correct. He is a mixture of Selwood and Dusty. Powerful player with a burst of speed and great overhead. Just wants to win and certainly drives standards and makes player better around him.

Living in WA with the media hype, I wanted to be a sceptic, but the media is correct. He is a mixture of Selwood and Dusty. Powerful player with a burst of speed and great overhead. Just wants to win and certainly drives standards and makes player better around him.

Since before his draft, reminded me of a mix of Dusty and Hodge with less finesse

Reid has an amazing presence about him

He sounds exactly like Albert Proud

Yeah, I know.

Just don't like how he tries to bully others.

He'll be a star, of he isn't one already

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hypothetically, say we have 3 years left of our 'window' and our small forwards are still an issue that's holding us back from the ultimate success...

Would it not be completely negligent to pass up on trade targets who will help solve that issue without costing a fortune just so we can continue hitting the draft?

Draftee's nearly always take at minimum a few years to start consistently performing at a high level unless they're Sam Walsh, Nick Daicos types (Nearly always a top 5-10 pick)

That runs the risk that by the time a new draftee is ready to perform, our window might be closed. Cripps, Newman, Doch, Williams, Gov etc are all closer to the end than the start.

Charlie, Harry, Weit and Walsh. That's our premiership window. 6-8 years to go.

In that time we should be constantly bringing in kids via the draft and letting them develop. Let the window roll on forever.

we should stop talking about chasing the latest shiny new object. Thats not how it works. We have a master at picking the right players for not a lot in Nick Austin.
I would rather continue the relentless depth build that Nick is showing us is possible, without overspending, than throwing that strategy away and starting to chase some of the names being mentioned.

we should stop talking about chasing the latest shiny new object. Thats not how it works. We have a master at picking the right players for not a lot in Nick Austin.
I would rather continue the relentless depth build that Nick is showing us is possible, without overspending, than throwing that strategy away and starting to chase some of the names being mentioned.
The names being mentioned in here are role players, not big name stars who are going to cost us 2 firsts and a million in cap space?

The names being mentioned in here are role players, not big name stars who are going to cost us 2 firsts and a million in cap space?
I agree with therubbernub.

Not that I'm following this thread too closely at the moment but the names that usually get bandied about are in that twilight zone between just being 'role players' and having a 'name' in that role. People are always looking to compromise because it seems more realistic. The players are not world-beaters. They'll Nevertheless cost more than they are worth because of their relative reputations.

Last edited:
I agree with therubbernub.

Not that I'm following this thread too closely at the moment but the names that usually get bandied about are in that twilight zone between just being 'role players' and having a 'name' in that role. People are always looking to compromise because it seems more realistic. The players are not world-beaters. They'll Nevertheless cost more than they are worth because of their relative reputations.

I think we just need players with a high floor even if their ceiling isn't great.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
How would picking up a best 22 free agent stop us from doing this?
No need for Hayward. We've got a 30 year old Martin who spends more time in the rehab room than playing.

Bizarre that there's so much push back to upgrading our clearly below par small/medium forwards when it could come free of charge outside of cap space. Shedding the injury prone players alone would likely cover his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Across this and the Mid Season Draft thread we have plenty of suggestions as to what we NEED.

I have done an exercise taking out our older group of players to depict what may be the core of our side in years to come.
Made a cut off with 1997 and later birthdays.

Line up something like this:

B: Cowan, Weitering, Young
HB: Boyd, Kemp, Wilson
C: Binns, Cerra, O.Hollands
HF: Cottrell, McKay, Motlop
F: Durdin, Curnow, Silvagni
Foll: De Koning, Walsh, Kennedy
Int: E.Hollands, Fogarty, J.Carroll, Owies
Sub: Moir

Emerg: Cuningham, Oā€™Keeffe, Lemmey

Depth and developing: M.Carroll, Monahan (apologies have written off Akuei), add Duffy who is signed.

Likely additions: B.Camporeale (inside/outside mid / half back)
"ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦L.Camporeale (outside mid / half back)
ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..C.Walker 2026 draft (Balanced mid / utility) Guaranteed Top 5 draft unless loses a leg.

Our 1996 born players are Pittonet and Cincotta who I would back to be around for 4-5 years along with Sam Durdin and Caleb Marchbank who are strongly suggested to be moved on at seasonā€™s end.

I would suggest we are not in desperate need of any particular player positionally, based on the balance shown above.

No doubt Ashton Moir and the big boppers Lemmey and Oā€™Keeffe are pivotal to our future. I would suggest Moir and Oā€™Keeffe are when rather than ā€œifā€ players. Lemmey is improving, but the main question seems to be aggression over ability. He could cover either end, so his development is critical.

If we donā€™t back Young to build a synergy with Weitering, we absolutely need a quality KPD option in the near(ish) future (post McGovern, with Kemp assuming 3 rd tall duties). If Marchy and Nigel move on clearly the urgency is heightened..

Ideally we upgrade our leg speed, particularly around the contest and behind the ball preparing for post Saad and Williams, hopefully Wilson comes on in that sphere.

Having faith in Moir for the future, along with C.Durdin and Motlop, as well as confidence in the role playing ability of Cottrell, Fogarty and Owies, I am not as desperate as some for small forward upgrade.

Thinking Crippaā€™s big bodied mid successor needs to be thought about over say, the next three off seasons. I do have faith that Matt Kennedy teamed with Walshy and Cez is a good starting point in that area though for the next five or so seasons. Elijah adds a bit of grunt as well with a bit more maturity, so we are not desperate. The Campos and Walker will add to the mids, but it is hard to imagine them as ā€œbullsā€ with their parentage and exposed views.

If only Matt Duffy lives up to the hype as either a big bodied mid or perhaps a KPDā€¦

No need for Hayward. We've got a 30 year old Martin who spends more time in the rehab room than playing.

Bizarre that there's so much push back to upgrading our clearly below par small/medium forwards when it could come free of charge outside of cap space. Shedding the injury prone players alone would likely cover his contract.
Wouldn't say it's massive push back

There are also cheaper options, and by the end of the year or moreso next, Moir could be that option

I donā€™t mind Hayward as wonā€™t cost picks and is decent, but if Moir lives up to his potential, with Elijah in the mix as a hybrid and Silvagni returning, I question the need.

We have Cowan clearly ready now, but will struggle for game time when all are fit. I donā€™t like overcommitting resources when unnecessary. Particularly when it can impact the career path of quality kids.

I donā€™t mind Hayward as wonā€™t cost picks and is decent, but if Moir lives up to his potential, with Elijah in the mix as a hybrid and Silvagni returning, I question the need.

We have Cowan clearly ready now, but will struggle for game time when all are fit. I donā€™t like overcommitting resources when unnecessary. Particularly when it can impact the career path of quality kids.
Have Hewett and Acres meant we've lost players we've wanted to keep?

Hayward is not Shai Bolton, bringing him in likely wouldn't cost a fortune nor would it mean we have to shed players like Cowan. Cuningham and Martin would probably be on similar coin combined. Difference is Hayward actually plays 20+ games most seasons, those two are lucky to string 4 games together.

May not be as skilful as some, but has strong defensive intent, despite not being a really strong mark, and would be a free hit to play as a forward, I'd ask the question of Banfield
from Freo? no where near as talented as Martin but is a safe bet with a clean injury history to fill the gap until Moir pushes him out. I agree.

Hayward is not Shai Bolton, bringing him in likely wouldn't cost a fortune nor would it mean we have to shed players like Cowan. Cuningham and Martin would probably be on similar coin combined. Difference is Hayward actually plays 20+ games most seasons, those two are lucky to string 4 games together.

I think you're probably underestimating Hayward's wage.
He's a Restricted Free Agent, ie he's in the top 25% of Swans' players by salary. There's also obviously strong interest in him from multiple clubs.

That's not to say we shouldn't go for him. But he'll be on a lot more money than Hewett or Acres.

I am a bit reluctant to engage here as you have ignored the real content of my post and attempted to bait me. We have a major philosophical difference. I am pragmatic and a little conservative with most assessments, where you fit cliches like ā€œgreen eyed monsterā€ and ā€œthe other manā€™s grass is always greenerā€. You covet everything you see as shiny and new and often overlook what we already have. Talent identification is the easiest and most basic aspect of recruitment and list management.

We have a stacked list. The salary cap is an issue ongoing, TDK is going to impact again in a couple of years among other developing types. Admittedly we should get some relief if we part with a couple on handy money maybe leaving over the next year or two.

No problem with the apparent mind set of our list managers. Hayward for Martin is somewhat like for like, and yes he is far more durable. Rumours that he wants Victoria for reasons relating to his partner may be correct. AS I SAID EARLIER, he is a decent player. I will even add that he could be better with us, as Sydney donā€™t use him as a focal point.

Sydney will want a pound of flesh. They are decent to deal with, but it will take a premium, probably enough to get them an end of first rounder. Means a long term contract, likely four years at say $650,000. That is a big commitment. That commitment limits our ability to take up other future opportunities, say for a young KPP who may want to shift camp at some stage during his contract.

If Moir becomes a ā€œbustā€ or JSOS canā€™t front up round 1, 2025 it enhances the argument/need for a Hayward. Can I direct you to our last game when TDK played in tandem with Pitto and played a significant role forward, kicking three goals, does that speak for our third tall forward quota?

The cap is increasing a little, so it may be affordable financially. Two Camporeale boys and a Boyd upgrade to the main list is three spots. To use another draft pick or obtain a free agent, we need more. So you are dumping Martin, Cuningham, Marchbank, and who else?

Across this and the Mid Season Draft thread we have plenty of suggestions as to what we NEED.

I have done an exercise taking out our older group of players to depict what may be the core of our side in years to come.
Made a cut off with 1997 and later birthdays.

Line up something like this:

B: Cowan, Weitering, Young
HB: Boyd, Kemp, Wilson
C: Binns, Cerra, O.Hollands
HF: Cottrell, McKay, Motlop
F: Durdin, Curnow, Silvagni
Foll: De Koning, Walsh, Kennedy
Int: E.Hollands, Fogarty, J.Carroll, Owies
Sub: Moir

Emerg: Cuningham, Oā€™Keeffe, Lemmey

Depth and developing: M.Carroll, Monahan (apologies have written off Akuei), add Duffy who is signed.

Likely additions: B.Camporeale (inside/outside mid / half back)
"ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦L.Camporeale (outside mid / half back)
ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..C.Walker 2026 draft (Balanced mid / utility) Guaranteed Top 5 draft unless loses a leg.

Our 1996 born players are Pittonet and Cincotta who I would back to be around for 4-5 years along with Sam Durdin and Caleb Marchbank who are strongly suggested to be moved on at seasonā€™s end.

I would suggest we are not in desperate need of any particular player positionally, based on the balance shown above.

No doubt Ashton Moir and the big boppers Lemmey and Oā€™Keeffe are pivotal to our future. I would suggest Moir and Oā€™Keeffe are when rather than ā€œifā€ players. Lemmey is improving, but the main question seems to be aggression over ability. He could cover either end, so his development is critical.

If we donā€™t back Young to build a synergy with Weitering, we absolutely need a quality KPD option in the near(ish) future (post McGovern, with Kemp assuming 3 rd tall duties). If Marchy and Nigel move on clearly the urgency is heightened..

Ideally we upgrade our leg speed, particularly around the contest and behind the ball preparing for post Saad and Williams, hopefully Wilson comes on in that sphere.

Having faith in Moir for the future, along with C.Durdin and Motlop, as well as confidence in the role playing ability of Cottrell, Fogarty and Owies, I am not as desperate as some for small forward upgrade.

Thinking Crippaā€™s big bodied mid successor needs to be thought about over say, the next three off seasons. I do have faith that Matt Kennedy teamed with Walshy and Cez is a good starting point in that area though for the next five or so seasons. Elijah adds a bit of grunt as well with a bit more maturity, so we are not desperate. The Campos and Walker will add to the mids, but it is hard to imagine them as ā€œbullsā€ with their parentage and exposed views.

If only Matt Duffy lives up to the hype as either a big bodied mid or perhaps a KPDā€¦
Great analysis, cheers

Though I want to keep Martin
as yet, may surprise later this year

I think you're probably underestimating Hayward's wage.
He's a Restricted Free Agent, ie he's in the top 25% of Swans' players by salary. There's also obviously strong interest in him from multiple clubs.

That's not to say we shouldn't go for him. But he'll be on a lot more money than Hewett or Acres.

Hewett was also a restricted free agent. The Swans have been structuring their deals so they never have players become UFA in their 8th season.

I would imagine Hayward would command around 600-700k next contract. More than Hewett and Acres, a little more than Martin who heā€™ll be effectively replacing, but I donā€™t think itā€™s going to be band 1 money. Probably on the edge of band 2 and 3.

Hewett was also a restricted free agent. The Swans have been structuring their deals so they never have players become UFA in their 8th season.

I would imagine Hayward would command around 600-700k next contract. More than Hewett and Acres, a little more than Martin who heā€™ll be effectively replacing, but I donā€™t think itā€™s going to be band 1 money. Probably on the edge of band 2 and 3.
as long as the AFL only grades free agency on the last year of a contract, rather than average yearly value over the life of the contract this is a loophole. Yet another example of the Swans being a very well run club.

as long as the AFL only grades free agency on the last year of a contract, rather than average yearly value over the life of the contract this is a loophole. Yet another example of the Swans being a very well run club.

Still a few quirks in the FA compo system. Itā€™s amateur.

Ben McKay being assessed as a 25 year old due to a late birthday probably got him over the line for band 1.

Without knowing their secret formula or what $$ value puts a player within the RFA threshold, clubs and supporters are just guessing.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back