List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Please everyone desist with the wild trade scenarios.

By the time we lock in Weitering, De Koning and Elijah Hollands, there won’t be much left…
Which is why I reckon we go after a youngster like Konstanty or Stone....may cost a bit trade wise, but not a lot of $$ contract wise.

Get the best young talent available without breaking the bank.

Have a few players on decent deals coming out of contract the next few years. Should help us retain Weiters and TDK, plus give decent flexibility. By the end of next year these guys will have the following terms left on their contracts.

Williams - 1 year
Cripps - 2 years
Hewett - 0 years
Cerra - 0 Years
Kennedy - 0 Years
Saad - 0 Years

For their next contract you'd think Williams, Saad, Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy all sign for a cut rate compared to what they're on now (relative to the salary cap). Martin will be on minimum wage if still with the club. Gov not much. Newman also wouldn't be on alot.

Cerra will be in his prime, but you'd think his offer will be heavily dependent on how his hamstrings hold up.

Charlie, McKay and presumably Walsh will be the only ones tied to big long-term deals.

Sometimes you have to hang on to talented injury prone players in the hope that you get one or two seasons out of them at the right time. Martin, Marchbank. Sure, if we can get equally talented or better players who are reliable then fine. But it's not that easy. Plenty of players who aren't up to it to delist. List spots wont be a problem.

A good example is Brad Pearce. Gave us one good season and it was 1995. Martin, Marchbank give us a full 2025, could be the same situation. Patience people.

Sometimes you have to hang on to talented injury prone players in the hope that you get one or two seasons out of them at the right time. Martin, Marchbank. Sure, if we can get equally talented or better players who are reliable then fine. But it's not that easy. Plenty of players who aren't up to it to delist. List spots wont be a problem.

A good example is Brad Pearce. Gave us one good season and it was 1995. Martin, Marchbank give us a full 2025, could be the same situation. Patience people.
I don't think list spots will be as readily available as you think unless we can put some senior listed types on the rookie list, somehow. I'm sure the club wants to properly prepare for league expansion and it's not just going to be the Camporeales and a free agent.

I don't think list spots will be as readily available as you think unless we can put some senior listed types on the rookie list, somehow. I'm sure the club wants to properly prepare for league expansion and it's not just going to be the Camporeales and a free agent.

Likely Delisted or traded

S Durdin - He or Young. Both if we bring in a good tall defender.

Akuei - nowhere near it.

Mirkov - Nowhere near it.

Binns - get the feeling with the Camporeale boys coming in we may look to trade him. Like him but big questions whether his game will translate to AFL. Very small, unsure of his kicking. Could get pushed way down the pecking order soon.

Cuningham - Not best 22, plenty moved past him and injury prone. Trade or delist.

Lemmy - I don't think he's going to make it, not showing enough.

Gives us 4-5 senior list spots and two rookie spots. Assuming we give Matt Carroll another go, suspect he may be offered a VFL contract if we need rookie spots. Will we give Lord and O'Keeffe more time?

Shift Marchbank to the rookie list. Possibly place Binns on the rookie list. Probably take 4 or 5 in the Draft including the Camporeales.

That's just what I think will happen list management wise.

Hope we lock in E.Hollands before he gains to much value. Was surprised when we didn't just honour the terms of his existing deal, after his great pre-season. Would have been clever list management.
Had we done that, he may not have found what is taking him to another level.

It was a wake-up call that is driving him.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope we lock in E.Hollands before he gains to much value. Was surprised when we didn't just honour the terms of his existing deal, after his great pre-season. Would have been clever list management.
He needed to show something in the real stuff before we offered him a deal so I think the club did the right thing. Given we threw him a lifeline and the opportunity for success he now finds himself with I seriously doubt there’s any chance we could lose him.

Also if we have to pay him a little more than that original deal then so be it. His upside is enormous. Such a great kick, strong in the tackle and decisive with the ball. IMO anything we sign him this year for will be a bargain in 2-3 years time.

He needed to show something in the real stuff before we offered him a deal so I think the club did the right thing. Given we threw him a lifeline and the opportunity for success he now finds himself with I seriously doubt there’s any chance we could lose him.

Also if we have to pay him a little more than that original deal then so be it. His upside is enormous. Such a great kick, strong in the tackle and decisive with the ball. IMO anything we sign him this year for will be a bargain in 2-3 years time.

I think he already proved himself in preseason by the souds of it. At least enough to justify the terms of original deal which was pretty modest anyway.

It's just one of the list management gambles. You win some, you lose some. Happy with him even if we have to pay a little more.

I think whether Martin, Cunners, Marchbank get contracts comes down to how many list spots we have and who else we bring in. We won't delist any of them to just take a late pick in the draft so doubt all go but also doubt all stay. If they do get extended, they should be 1 year offers on minimum dollars. If they want more they can walk.

At this stage of the year, this is my pecking order of who I would be most likely to delist to least likely (OOC Players).

Akuei
Mirkov
S.Durdin

M.Caroll
H.O'Keefe

Cunners
Marchbank
Martin

J.Carroll

First 3 are no brainers but Akuei doesn't give us a list spot. Next 2 are developing guys who haven't shown much but haven't been given much opportunity either. O'Keefe could get lucky if we don't want to move on 2 developing rucks in 1 year.

Then you got the 3 injury prone guys who are close to best 22 when fit. I'd struggle to delist any of them ahead of the above 5, with the exception of O'Keefe if he's deemed a structural need. Their order will come to down availability to finish the season but if all are fit that's the order I'd rank them.

J.Carroll I'd like to keep for midfield depth purposes though I question whether he ultimately makes it.

Haven't included Lord and Monahan as think they're automatic extensions.

We'll need at least 4-5 list spots but there is also a possibility of a player or 2 being traded. Will be interesting.

Pretty sure O’Monahan was signed up for 2yrs when moving.

Offer a few long contracts that are heavily back end loaded, there are ways of doing these things. Particularly with young players who are guaranteed high talent.

I was amazed we had money to throw at Hayward - so there's obviously some money there. The new salary cap is significantly increased but you'd want TDK / weit signed long term before throwing cash at other mediocre types like Hayward.

If we had any spare cash I'd spend it on an intercepting key defender. If there isn't one available then just bank the spare money and stick to the draft.

An AA half back that can play midfield and wing, who is a true leader, would be handy.

Also add another 3rd tall forward who applies huge tackle pressure, can chop out in the ruck and even go back if needed.

Couple of guys called Sam Docherty and Jack Silvagni will be very handy additions

Last edited:
If Melbourne pay 300-400k of his salary for the next 6 years…

Oliver would be a good get for any team… A fresh start out of the Demons, with a side with a strong culture, would get him back to his best…

Depending on any FS rule changes, I don’t mind us using draft capital on the right players..

If we do have the $750k to splash on a player like we reportedly offered Hayward, I’d go in order SDK or Stengel… Don’t think $750k would get us an elite mid nowadays, unless it’s an Oliver with issues…

Last edited:
I reckon unless an out and out gun wants to come to us, just keep banking 1st round draftees over the next few drafts before Tassie comes in.
Austin seems to have a knack of picking up cheap options.

Yeah wouldn’t mind banking talented kids and developing them through a proper VFL program that’s been invested in & getting them some success there.

Windows come and go and whilst we’re cherry ripe now, it won’t be long before we’ll be seeking replacements for some of our senior blokes.

If Melbourne pay 300-400k of his salary for the next 6 years…

Oliver would be a good get for any team, fresh start out of the Demons, in a side with a strong culture, would get him back to his best…
Think we'd have to get rid of Hewett or Kennedy or we'd be wasting too much cash on mids. And given neither of them have addiction issues thats not a trade off I think we'd be wise doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back