List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully we can go after another tall nature defender. I know Hardwick isnā€™t as tall but it makes sense to get some experience back in.

In the other hand why would he be playing vfl currently if heā€™s planning on retiring.
Hardwick re-signed at Hawthorn

Hopefully we can go after another tall nature defenderā€¦..
We are required to make three changes (minimum) to the MAIN list at seasonā€™s end.

Currently J.Carroll, Martin, Cuningham, Owies and Marchbank are the options for a minimum of three being moved on.
With the Campos and a required upgrade for Boyd, those three spots are spoken for.

Another mature defender? Maybe a twilight player in the rookie/SSP period if one is around. We have to somehow produce more spots to draft or trade for a highly rated defender (on the main list).

We would all love to get ahead of a bid for Ben (50/50) but we need another spot available to do that.

I'm not surprised about the Marchbank Rumor, it's been a thought of mine, particularly how he has been playing.

I think we should aim high and try and bring in a quality CHB who's ready to go. We should also line up Jeremy McGovern as an alternative to that if possible.

Is O'Farrell an actual possibility or is his name being thrown around jokingly given the relation?

Most draft rankings and write-ups have him in the frame for 2nd best of the KPPs, probably 10-15 range in the draft. There's some competition with both Whitlocks impressing, and always a chance someone like Shanahan climbs if he has a form spike late in the year.

Both the below, which are probably the most "official", have him at 13. RookieMe's was posted about a month back, the ESPN one is from May (doesn't look like they've release another since).

Given we don't have a developing KPD, and yes, given the link to his father, he certainly looks a likely prospect for us depending on what we can do with our first pick.
Yes! Oā€™Farrell would absolutely be a legitimate option should we get to take a selection before Benā€™s bid.

While more stopper than rebounder, he has quite a rounded game, and I suspect has plenty of room for development.
Skilled and athletic. Not the elite athlete, but as suggested above, good wingspan and closing speed. Conservative disposal. More substance than flair.

Is very slight, so would not be a quick fix. Would require, at least, a VFL development year. We have to resign ourselves to the fact we are likely stuck with similar options for the next couple of years unless we can find a stopgap in the rookie draft.

The club link with his old man certainly adds to the attraction.

Yes! Oā€™Farrell would absolutely be a legitimate option should we get to take a selection before Benā€™s bid.

While more stopper than rebounder, he has quite a rounded game, and I suspect has plenty of room for development.
Skilled and athletic. Not the elite athlete, but as suggested above, good wingspan and closing speed. Conservative disposal. More substance than flair.

Is very slight, so would not be a quick fix. Would require, at least, a VFL development year. We have to resign ourselves to the fact we are likely stuck with similar options for the next couple of years unless we can find a stopgap in the rookie draft.

The club link with his old man certainly adds to the attraction.
Spot on. Though you could almost guarantee that Austin is working on a low cost KPD trade. Bearing in mind that he identified that we needed a gun winger (Acres) and then a gun hybrid mid/forward (E. Hollands) I'd be pretty confident that we'll end up with the likes of Pearce from Freo for a future 3rd.

Where is this JMcGov talk coming from ?

Is it just a thought bubble ?
I think so, or just a little more. The brothers have expressed a desire to play together,

he is at that veteran stage and WCE not likely to be contending any time soon. Those factors align nicely, but there is the question of durability and salary cap that would have to be considered. He missed a lot of footy in 2022 if I recall correctly but has played 16 matches this year so I wouldn't be overly concerned he would be a rehab group regular, though he has lots of miles on the clock.

I think so, or just a little more. The brothers have expressed a desire to play together,

he is at that veteran stage and WCE not likely to be contending any time soon. Those factors align nicely, but there is the question of durability and salary cap that would have to be considered. He missed a lot of footy in 2022 if I recall correctly but has played 16 matches this year so I wouldn't be overly concerned he would be a rehab group regular, though he has lots of miles on the clock.
Thanks Ian, article from last year, he still has a bit to offer, of course wouldnā€™t play every game but say 10 to 12 would be great and get primo for the finals,

Where is this JMcGov talk coming from ?

Is it just a thought bubble ?

Pretty much, but circumstantially it looks a good fit.

WC just sacked their coach, who Gov was close with. He's made comments before about playing with Mitch being something they'd like to do. WC don't look like playing finals any time between now and his eventual retirement. These are all good reasons for him to want to move.

He's 32yo and still playing very good football, would probably only warrant a late second rounder given his age, which is peanuts for two years of service to a contending side. We lack a genuine second KPD with smarts and disposal skills. These are all good reasons for us to want him.

Questions marks are over how hard WC play given he's contracted for another year, how keen he is to move his family across the country, whether his body is good for another couple of years (managed properly), and whether we have another option, or options, on the hook already.

Adam Simpson was good enough to win a premiership with the Eagles. The very best coach can not take a poor list off the bottom of the ladder.

What makes a good coach good is not their ability to perform miracles and make a weak list win games. That's not possible. What makes a good coach is their ability to get the best out of a good list. To get a good list to win a flag and not just be an also-ran up the top of the ladder.

He would be a good get as an assistant. Quality. Experienced. New ideas from a different place. Not many of our coaches come from really successful coaching backgrounds, he'd be the most successful coach in our group instantly.

Anyone that gets Simpson will be lucky, the guy is a great coach. The fact Eagles are even winning games this year is shocking in my mind. I can see a world where they go backwards in the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much, but circumstantially it looks a good fit.

WC just sacked their coach, who Gov was close with. He's made comments before about playing with Mitch being something they'd like to do. WC don't look like playing finals any time between now and his eventual retirement. These are all good reasons for him to want to move.

He's 32yo and still playing very good football, would probably only warrant a late second rounder given his age, which is peanuts for two years of service to a contending side. We lack a genuine second KPD with smarts and disposal skills. These are all good reasons for us to want him.

Questions marks are over how hard WC play given he's contracted for another year, how keen he is to move his family across the country, whether his body is good for another couple of years (managed properly), and whether we have another option, or options, on the hook already.
Not a ridiculous thought if bridges have been burnt by Eagles management.

Thinking there is still a big salary due (Big) Gov for next season, which we couldnā€™t take on.

Is there a remote chance they would pay the salary? Unlikely. Jack Carroll probably an attractive target for them if a rumoured player clean out is happening. Could suggest another couple of players that could be attractive in a package to the Eagles if we contemplated reducing our list number pressures.

Would be fanciful, but stranger things have happened if things become acrimonious in the playing group.

Would be intriguing to see two ā€œbig dogsā€ like Weitering and McGovern trying to co-exist.

Thinking there is still a big salary due (Big) Gov for next season, which we couldnā€™t take on.

Is there a remote chance they would pay the salary? Unlikely. Jack Carroll probably an attractive target for them if a rumoured player clean out is happening. Could suggest another couple of players that could be attractive in a package to the Eagles if we contemplated reducing our list number pressures.

Would be fanciful, but stranger things have happened if things become acrimonious in the playing group.

Would be intriguing to see two ā€œbig dogsā€ like Weitering and McGovern trying to co-exist.

Hypothetically, let's say he's on $900k next year.

I reckon we could give him a 2 year deal on signing with us, at something like $650k a year - so essentially his $900k that he's already contracted for and then an extra year at $400k, but we just spread it over the two seasons in a way that suits us.

I'm not surprised about the Marchbank Rumor, it's been a thought of mine, particularly how he has been playing.

I think we should aim high and try and bring in a quality CHB who's ready to go. We should also line up Jeremy McGovern as an alternative to that if possible.

Marchbank must have had a hell of under 17 year at junior level to be drafted by GWS at pick 6 in the 2014 - because heā€™s barely had an uninterrupted year of football since then.

Cudos to him for his perseverance.

Hats off to Marchbank if he does retire. He tried his best in the league and has stuck with it for 10 years. But his injuries were so cruel and constant that no one will think less of him for saying enough is enough at this point.

Hypothetically, let's say he's on $900k next year.

I reckon we could give him a 2 year deal on signing with us, at something like $650k a year - so essentially his $900k that he's already contracted for and then an extra year at $400k, but we just spread it over the two seasons in a way that suits us.
Reckon for a 2nd rd pick, Weagles would pay a chunk of his salary.

Reckon for a 2nd rd pick, Weagles would pay a chunk of his salary.

Potentially - I consider a "late second rounder" these days to be somewhere close to Pick 40. Once upon a time it was 30-36, last year the second went out to 44, previous few years it was 38/39/42. The more Academy kids we see coming through the Northern academies the deeper the second round picks will be pushed.

It's not a bad pick, but it ain't premium either. Might depend a little on what changes come in to the draft value index. If our future second could be Pick 42, and from 2025 they can all points values from Pick 40 onwards....the value of Pick 42 diminishes greatly, because it only holds value for a club who want to pick the 42nd ranked player in the draft.

I reckon a pick in the 40-50 range for Gov is fair-ish. Probably slight overs, maybe WC kick in a few bob, but if he's contracted and we think he could be the difference in a flag chase then we probably just cough up.

Train Weitering for CHB. I've been wondering whether he could play the position and I think he could. McGovern just slots straight into Weitering's spot at fullback. I think it could potentially work really well. I've seen Weitering play up the ground at CHB and do really well at times. It would be interesting I give you that.

Contracts can be renegotiated. If this is what he wants, it's his last chance to do it. I think we could do the trade.

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back