List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we fit in a Clayton Oliver. Let him play with Cripps for 2-3 years then take over. It means a player likes Kennedy needs to move on.

I’m sure he would come cheap to a point Melbourne may pay part of his salary. Or we take the lot and get him for a future second.
I had the same thought. We were super into him a few years ago. If he gets back to playing his normal level of performance, he's a big upgrade on Kennedy and Hewett. They probably want to move him on. We may be a much better environment for him. Cripps, Oliver and Walsh supported but the rest is a really strong midfield, it's a massive upgrade.

If we can hit some quality targets we can clean the list up a bit. I am all for a list clean out but it can't happen without quality coming in.

We can't just get rid of Martin, we need a replacement. If we can bring in some good forwards then we can look at shifting on a few of our C graders which we have about 4 of on the list. Bring in two gun forwards move on 4.

Same with a key forward and Key back. If we were able to bring in some we could have a cleanout in this area.

I think for us to be flag worthy. Fogarty, Cottrell, Fantasia and Cuningham shouldn't be able to get a game. They all should be permanent VFL players unless there are injuries. They are VFL level players.

If we bring in a tall forward we most likely try and offload Lemmy who I can't see playing AFL.

If we find a decent key defender. All of Durdin, Akuei , Marchbank and Young could be let go. Perhaps we keep one and bring one in like Jeremy McGovern then we also have space to take one in the draft.

Our list is in a position where having good players agreeing to come to us will create trade currency and list space. In order to do the list cleanup we need to have, we need to have players willing to come to us and be able to obtain them.

I'm also open to the idea of paying out a few contracts. Unless we have heavily front-loaded contracts, I think we have ballsed a few up (too long).

Maybe Harry Lemmey might be of interest to Adelaide, sort of a long term replacement for Tex; and Jack Carrol fits the future midfield of the Toasters.....
Maybe we land a couple of second rounders that can move us up into the draft, so that an Armstrong or a Faull could land in navy blue.....

Purely hypothetical but if Melbourne were attaching their first round pick like GCS did with Bowes... Would you trade Kennedy and Hewett out to fit Olivers contract and bring in a plethora of picks?

Out - Kennedy + Hewett
In - Oliver, Dees First rounder, 2x 2nd rounders

If we were sure we'd be able to get Oliver back to somewhere near his best that would be a seriously tempting offer.

Purely hypothetical but if Melbourne were attaching their first round pick like GCS did with Bowes... Would you trade Kennedy and Hewett out to fit Olivers contract and bring in a plethora of picks?

Out - Kennedy + Hewett

If we were sure we'd be able to get Oliver back to somewhere near his best that would be a seriously tempting offer.
It’s pretty hard to tame an addict. Unfortunately there’s no way to be sure he will ever rediscover the player he use to be. And if Melbourne were pushing him out with the added 1st rounder, surely that speaks volumes.

At his best he is unbelievable. But the past 12 months or so have seen him take up another hobby other than football.

I had the same thought. We were super into him a few years ago. If he gets back to playing his normal level of performance, he's a big upgrade on Kennedy and Hewett. They probably want to move him on. We may be a much better environment for him. Cripps, Oliver and Walsh supported but the rest is a really strong midfield, it's a massive upgrade.

If we can hit some quality targets we can clean the list up a bit. I am all for a list clean out but it can't happen without quality coming in.

We can't just get rid of Martin, we need a replacement. If we can bring in some good forwards then we can look at shifting on a few of our C graders which we have about 4 of on the list. Bring in two gun forwards move on 4.

Same with a key forward and Key back. If we were able to bring in some we could have a cleanout in this area.

I think for us to be flag worthy. Fogarty, Cottrell, Fantasia and Cuningham shouldn't be able to get a game. They all should be permanent VFL players unless there are injuries. They are VFL level players.

If we bring in a tall forward we most likely try and offload Lemmy who I can't see playing AFL.

If we find a decent key defender. All of Durdin, Akuei , Marchbank and Young could be let go. Perhaps we keep one and bring one in like Jeremy McGovern then we also have space to take one in the draft.

Our list is in a position where having good players agreeing to come to us will create trade currency and list space. In order to do the list cleanup we need to have, we need to have players willing to come to us and be able to obtain them.

I'm also open to the idea of paying out a few contracts. Unless we have heavily front-loaded contracts, I think we have ballsed a few up (too long).

Oliver 1 year into a 7 year $10m contract and mentally / physically deteriorating at a rapid rate.

Without even looking at how he butchers the ball it's already got to be a hard no.

Kennedy and Hewett can't get a game - unlikely to target another inside mid.

Oliver 1 year into a 7 year $10m contract and mentally / physically deteriorating at a rapid rate.

Without even looking at how he butchers the ball it's already got to be a hard no.

Not saying we would be going after him because imo it's way too risky with his recent history, but Oliver is considerably more suited to our midfield mix than Kennedy or Hewett purely due to his spread and power with which he can cover the ground.

While he wasn't a Sam Walsh level runner, Oliver was a pretty close to elite when fit and was a perfect link man/ball winner for Trac and Viney to work around.

Hewett and Kennedy's issues are their overall spread from contest and ability to apply pressure outside the contest. Oliver was essentially the aerobically upgraded version of both, while also being better at extracting the ball to his teammates. All 3 are probably about equal re foot skills but that's not what you get them in for.

Out - Kennedy + Hewett

Come on. Who is the Dees list manager - Santa Claus?

I don't understand this player X,Y & Z aren't good enough to be premiership players rationale. Year in, year out the premiership team has a group of players that are questionable but do their job.

Last year Billy Frampton, Oleg Markov, Beau McCreery and Jack Ginnivan all became premiership players. Not too many superstars on that list.

After our close prelim loss last year and now sitting second on the ladder, i and most feel we are well and truly in our premiership window, other clubs have shown that this window can last a long time if you have a strong core group of players, which i think we have.

I was a bit disappointed with Austin last trade period and feel his actions didn’t represent a club pushing hard for a flag, come seasons end, whether we win the GF or not, we have a few areas of need that need addressing, drafting kids in these positions wont really help us in the short term, so i really hope we do something that allows us to go to the next level.

With two highly rated father sons in the late 1st or 2nd rounds should allow us to be more aggressive with our first pick, i hope Austin is looking around and seeing if our first pick would be enough to get a quality KPD or anyone that would make our senior team immediately better.

The Swans, Pies and Lions have all aggressively added players whilst at the top of the ladder in the pursuit of a premiership, while we are shopping in the bargain bin predominantly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

love to get some opinions on Dom Akuei, I reckon he has more in the last couple month than the passed couple of years, yes he is raw in footy smarts & knowledge, yes he was out positioned by bigger & smaller blokes but recently he looks to be playing with some more confidence & using his athletic traits. Be interesting to see how he finishes the year off & if we retain him for another season

love to get some opinions on Dom Akuei, I reckon he has more in the last couple month than the passed couple of years, yes he is raw in footy smarts & knowledge, yes he was out positioned by bigger & smaller blokes but recently he looks to be playing with some more confidence & using his athletic traits. Be interesting to see how he finishes the year off & if we retain him for another season

IMO not up to it

Dom is finally showing a level of improvement that may transfer to the next level. Still has a long way to go and there are no guarantees. Guess the coaches and inner sanctum have more insight, but I find it impossible to justify promoting him to the main list, which is required to retain him. Even a mechanism to move him to the Cat A rookie list would be a big gamble as he has been such slow burn. Guess he has a few reserves games left to build a body of work which may give him a chance, but think as it stands, it is too little, too late.

Oliver is one of the best players in the game. Kennedy and Hewett aren't in the best players in our team. Miles apart.

Yes that contract is ridiculous.

Long contracts are great when it comes to salary cap management, but not for players who are inconsistent mentally the way he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back