List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe under these circumstances....but we still have to open up a list spot.

"The appeal of Haynes to clubs lies in the fact he would come cheaply – zero draft cost and on relatively modest remuneration"
Yeah it just would be a hope and see with Haynes. Can definitely play and is currently behind some absolute quality at GWS.

Haynes
Konstanty
Stone
Lukosius
1st round pick (Lindsay/Berry/Hotton)
Campos x 2

An off season like that would be a great haul

Maybe under these circumstances....but we still have to open up a list spot.

"The appeal of Haynes to clubs lies in the fact he would come cheaply – zero draft cost and on relatively modest remuneration"

That is alarming as it suggests we have little wriggle room with the salary cap which is bizarre given it was reported we were bidding for Hayward.

Unless Martin wants out, he is a hold. Changes the dynamic of our fwd line when he’s in. New high performance guru gets him right, look out. Talent is undeniable and plays with aggression, which we certainly lack fwd

I sincerely hope the club doesn't use "we have a new high-performance guru" as an excuse to re-sign perpetually injured players.

Continuing to throw the guy who replaces Andy Russell under the bus by having half a dozen of the same players always injured is not the way forward.

People got what they wanted - Russell out.

Now give the incumbent a fair crack at it by clearing out the always injured.

That is alarming as it suggests we have little wriggle room with the salary cap which is bizarre given it was reported we were bidding for Hayward.

Teams are always looking for cheap talent.

Very talented list but we have several holes to fill.

Why wouldn't we be interested in filling one of them with a cheap veteran and potentially developing a kid to replace him in a year or two?

Not every player you acquire has to be a premium salary player.

How does it suggest that?

It suggests we aren’t going to spend what salary cap space we have - which we must have given the Hayward chase and Cooks comments - on getting a quality second key defender, which to me seems to be by far our biggest need.

Haynes is not a key defender - he is a third defender - we already have 2 of those on our list, in Gov and Kemp. This feels like a replacement for Marchy and I’m just not sure what that does to make us better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d spend the money and get a good 2nd tall KPD. Let’s not be tight and get another injury prone or a dads army type.

Team is in its prime. Make the right moves and we should be a good chance of a flag.

Problem is they are hard to find.

Of the established guys the only ones being debated are
  • Barrass who is too expensive for us - both in terms of salary and trade assets required to get the deal done - we have to lower our sights.
  • Howard who is a slightly better version of Young and largely unproven in finals
  • Battle who is not a key defender and would be too expensive anyway
  • Harry Edwards you’d think West Coast will want to hold onto especially if they lose Barrass so he’d come at a huge trade asset value cost.
After that you start looking at guys who aren’t getting a game at their club like Caleb Graham, Denver Grainger Barrass, Tomlinson, Elliott Himmelberg, Borlaise, Ryan Gardiner etc all of whom have serious question marks over them.

Jeremy McGovern might come with a few wrinkles but I reckon he fits the bill. Whilst he’s 32 his injuries in the last 3 years have been largely collision based. I doubt he’d cost the earth in terms of salary and trade value, and also may be attracted to come to play with his brother.

There's been a suggestion that we're into West Coast's Liam Ryan.
Very talented footballer but I really can't see us getting it done unless we use future picks because he is still under contract.

Could always use our 1st rounder ‘24 (and/or split it).

Ryan wouldn’t be worth any more than a third round pick. Same value as Acres IMO. Problem is his injury history.

Could always use our 1st rounder ‘24 (and/or split it).
Why would we want Ryan? What does he give us that we dont already have?
I heard on SEN that Stringer is no certainty to get another contract, if that eventuates, I'd rather take a punt on him.
He'd be cheaper, we'd have to manage him but he would be a good burst player and can kick them from outside the arc.
Explosive Fwd/Mid option and I dare say for less than Ryan.

Jeremy McGovern

There is nothing stopping us from targeting Jeremy McGovern if we get Haynes.

On top of outstanding depth, it may end up freeing Kempy to play a more natural attacking role.

Why would we want Ryan? What does he give us that we dont already have?
I heard on SEN that Stringer is no certainty to get another contract, if that eventuates, I'd rather take a punt on him.
He'd be cheaper, we'd have to manage him but he would be a good burst player and can kick them from outside the arc.
Explosive Fwd/Mid option and I dare say for less than Ryan.

Prob for the same reason we were supposedly after Will Wayward.
Would like to have an aerialist with ground ball skills up forward.

L.Ryan has been injured a lot lately and there were always Q? over him leaving WA. Was a great pickup by WCE at the time. Played magnificently against us at Marvel one day (along with Yeo).

No to Lukosius unless he's on heavy discount. Contract and potential trade value would be way above output.
No to Ryan... we want more forward pressure and crumbing, not less.
No to McGovern unless he wants to seriously transform his body, which seems unlikely.
No to Haynes, if anything we should slide Docherty back into the mix.

Back to my remaining FA shortlist again:

McCluggage (mid) edit: never mind
Cumming (running def)
Perryman (general def/mid, dependent on Docherty)
T.McDonald (KP)
Battle (KPD)

Maybe an aging star like Johannisen if we have a very specific need for elite talent.

Battle seems unlikely, but the GWS duo and Tom McDonald might be gettable, and we've hopefully put the work in with Isaac to convince him a switch to Adelaide isn't that close to home.

One uncontracted name that stands out also is Will Phillips. North can't command much for him at this point and we can definitely make room for him in our 22.

I sincerely hope the club doesn't use "we have a new high-performance guru" as an excuse to re-sign perpetually injured players.

Continuing to throw the guy who replaces Andy Russell under the bus by having half a dozen of the same players always injured is not the way forward.

People got what they wanted - Russell out.

Now give the incumbent a fair crack at it by clearing out the always injured.
Agreed, but I think we're already going to cut heavily into that last of names. If Martin is going to do another low salary year, I'm interested.

Last edited:
Agreed, but I think we're already going to cut heavily into that last of names. If Martin is going to do another low salary year, I'm interested.

I think we agree overall. If he gets good money elsewhere I wouldn't bother. But if we can keep him on the cheap then he's probably the only one I might roll the dice on. The likes of Marchy, Cuners, etc. who are depth when healthy should be delisted if they don't retire.

However, with what the media has published - interest from Fremantle desperate for a small forward - I don't see him being a cheap retain.

FWIW, McCluggage re-signed until the end of 2031.

Not sure I see Lukosius as a player that drops his lip when not getting his way, but something isn’t right up at the Suns and hasn’t been since they started. They’re a worse version of St Kilda and North (I know right, that seems impossible but it’s true). If you had played there for 6 years and see no improvement, it would be hard not to give 100% every game because none of the others up there do let’s face it.

His kicking is off the charts good and we need more of that rather than our constant bombs forward.

If we could take Lukosius off their hands for a late 2nd or so, I think we could find gold.

Kid hasn’t even hit his prime yet and sticking with Cripps over Summer could be extremely rewarding.

It’s time we backed ourselves in to get the best out of him.

Doubt you’d get him for a late second, he has huge potential which is not something GCS taps into very well but it’s definitely there. Mid to late first would get it done.

That word potential will also ensure he gets remunerated very well, which would be our biggest issue.

He’s certainly an option I hope the club are investigating

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back