List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Must say I’ve never been more relaxed about losing such a key player. Reality is he nearly went last year. And helped us win a bloody flag!

Obviously we can’t replace Joe. As others have pointed out we have a seriously potent forward line so it’s less about goals, even though we are replacing our leading goalkicker.

In my view the two most important things Joe did in a structural sense was 1. Cop the best defender ever week and 2. Did some ruck minutes. Two very different qualities!

Hippy or Morris with the best key defender each week would be a struggle. So they need some help in the air.

I don’t think Oscar can solo ruck. We don’t want hippy in there. We don’t want Dunkley in there.

Therefore the only genuine options on our list are Smith or Fort. I favour Smith as he is a monster of a bloke and very competitive in marking contests - did well a few times this year when it was just dumped on his head to get it ground. That’s all we need really.

The problem with either of these guys playing is you lose a bit of run. A 5th permanent bench player would help but i am not sure that’s happening?

I do think it makes sense to get someone in as insurance. And we have zero draft capital. It’s tempting to say we have free money to spend- BUT it still has value. $800k or so front loaded to a couple of players could make the difference between retaining them or not. This is why i’d be saying no to Tom Lynch. We would be paying him the same as Joe for 2 years. And he can’t ruck with his injuries surely?

I thought Himmelberg was a nice cheap option but alas off he’s off to the gc

Kreuger has potential.

Taberner seems serviceable and not too old but maybe injury prone?

Casboult just seems too old but at least he’s free and cheap.

I wouldn’t be going for Membrey unless he can somehow ruck, he is listed at 188cm!

Anyway as others have said i am sure we will have a plan.

No , no matter .

It's just that we haven't been too flash at at picking up plug in forwards from Hawthorn.

The form says I'd rather lay it than back it.
Gunston was worth the gamble, Unfortunately his head wasn’t in it.
The only real poor decision was a rushed one in Brandon Ryan imo due to Gunston wanting out last minute.
Birchall and Hodge were both successes, Particularly Hodge.

Gunston was worth the gamble, Unfortunately his head wasn’t in it.
The only real poor decision was a rushed on in Brandon Ryan imo due to Gunston wanting out last minute.
Birchall and Hodge were both successes, Particularly Hodge.

Imagine how many goals Gunston would've kicked if we'd more consistently moved the footy like we did in the GF

Shame he was useless when we couldn't

Lewis is their first name that's appealed to me of all the players that have been floated as options in this thread, but even then I think that might be asking too much of our medical team.

I'd much prefer we look at bringing in Fort/Smith as a rotating ruck and tall fwd option, even if they don't replace the attacking output we'll lose without Joe, I think it makes up for it in other areas. Big O is going to be coming off some pretty hefty surgery and will presumably miss a chunk of pre-season, having someone to help carry the load early on in the season will be a great help for him. I really liked what Smith showed in his ruck work at both AFL and VFL level, but he's still a year or two away from being ready for a regular spot at the top level so I'd be starting Fort. Him and Logan crashing packs with Eric having more license to work up the ground like Joe did will still be a dangerous proposition for teams.

It's not ideal, but I still prefer to a panic signing as cover when we're going to be looking at sigining a permanent solution down the line either way.

Must say I’ve never been more relaxed about losing such a key player. Reality is he nearly went last year. And helped us win a bloody flag!

Obviously we can’t replace Joe. As others have pointed out we have a seriously potent forward line so it’s less about goals, even though we are replacing our leading goalkicker.

In my view the two most important things Joe did in a structural sense was 1. Cop the best defender ever week and 2. Did some ruck minutes. Two very different qualities!

Hippy or Morris with the best key defender each week would be a struggle. So they need some help in the air.

I don’t think Oscar can solo ruck. We don’t want hippy in there. We don’t want Dunkley in there.

Therefore the only genuine options on our list are Smith or Fort. I favour Smith as he is a monster of a bloke and very competitive in marking contests - did well a few times this year when it was just dumped on his head to get it ground. That’s all we need really.

The problem with either of these guys playing is you lose a bit of run. A 5th permanent bench player would help but i am not sure that’s happening?

I do think it makes sense to get someone in as insurance. And we have zero draft capital. It’s tempting to say we have free money to spend- BUT it still has value. $800k or so front loaded to a couple of players could make the difference between retaining them or not. This is why i’d be saying no to Tom Lynch. We would be paying him the same as Joe for 2 years. And he can’t ruck with his injuries surely?

I thought Himmelberg was a nice cheap option but alas off he’s off to the gc

Kreuger has potential.

Taberner seems serviceable and not too old but maybe injury prone?

Casboult just seems too old but at least he’s free and cheap.

I wouldn’t be going for Membrey unless he can somehow ruck, he is listed at 188cm!

Anyway as others have said i am sure we will have a plan.
Joe was a special player who just gave us the X factor and with the opposition worried about him it made it a lot easier for the hybrids running around there. Besides him being a big awkward guy for defenders to get around or run off because he could actually run when he wanted to.

So no point thinking he's not a big loss. I don't like the idea of putting average half over the hill players on our list. I'm sure we'll have a strategy. .Not much point speculating. It's a bit of a shame Ryan doesn't look up to it because this is why we got him.

I think we back our existing players, get as many of our kids in like Levi, Marshall, gillet, gallop etc, whilst looking at annable next year, (with tassie coming get the talent while it’s their) bring a free hit in with day/casboult/taberner for a mature body and depth in the 2s, fort/smith get first crack, can fall back on the depth or go high pressure chaos ball with a fleet of smalls. We are the team that everyone’s coming for we may as well try to evolve to keep other teams on their toes. We aren’t going to get Joe Daniher 2.0 so we have to evolve somehow I think we just back our development, tweak the game plan. We have the talent.

Hawks posters are saying first this year, first next year and Lohmann, Bailey or Morris 😂😂

They are severely overatting a guy who has never kicked 40 goals in a season(Albeit he hasn’t been able to play 20 games in a season either).

Those on here saying future 4th or Dev & Tunstill for him are severely underrating him though. He is a gun when fit. Issue is he’s hardly fit. In saying that we turned Daniher and McCarthy around big time. I actually think Lewis would be one of the better options out there long term as far as finding a quality key forward to compliment the list now Joe has gone. If we can find a way to get him and acquire the points for Ashcroft & Marshall we’d have done superbly well.

On another note, I found it really strange when we were linked to Chol last trade period. Now knowing the club was aware Joey was entering his final season it makes sense.

Hawks posters are saying first this year, first next year and Lohmann, Bailey or Morris 😂😂

They are severely overatting a guy who has never kicked 40 goals in a season(Albeit he hasn’t been able to play 20 games in a season either).

Those on here saying future 4th or Dev & Tunstill for him are severely underrating him though. He is a gun when fit. Issue is he’s hardly fit. In saying that we turned Daniher and McCarthy around big time. I actually think Lewis would be one of the better options out there long term as far as finding a quality key forward to compliment the list now Joe has gone. If we can find a way to get him and acquire the points for Ashcroft & Marshall we’d have done superbly well.

On another note, I found it really strange when we were linked to Chol last trade period. Now knowing the club was aware Joey was entering his final season it makes sense.
I don't think Mitch will be letting Lewis go if he thinks he could get him up and running because they're a good team now and he's by far their best bet up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Future 1st l would assume. Under contract l think so it has to be something decent.

It could be a future first with getting their second to help match this year.

I would offer our future second for him and a third though.

Either way if we trade for him we need to find a way to get a 24 pick coming back.

I'd perhaps wait until there's something more concrete than rando poster rumours to start speculating but that's just me.

The guy has history. Reading into it, I am certain he will request a trade to us….
Well your instincts were spot on about Fagan, I guess...

Mitch Lewis when fit is a good player. However, coming off a knee, I'd be surprised if we'd done much more than kick the tyres. Our track record getting players right has been discussed at length, but Doedee would be fresh in the mind - that and the fact Lewis wouldn't be ready until mid-year at best.

Best to take someone ready to go from Rd1, requiring limited draft outlay, to help play a role especially given we have some talent coming through next year by all reports. Others have had success doing similar (e.g. Leigh Brown at Collingwood).

Please, no Hawthorn ‘rejects.’
We had to pay a second rounder to move Gunston on and get Ryan.
(I think that’s right.)
On a positive note, if we hadn’t, Gunston could have been a premiership player with us.
We seem to have had this factory of players from Geelong which prior to Linc, was Cockatoo, Christensen, possibly Jansen before that, McKinnon years before that and now Hawks. Peaked at Hodge, but got progressively worse with Birch, Gubstan and Ryan and Lisle many years before that.

Gunston is a funny one. No doubt through the year I bet he thought this was so the right decision to go back to Hawks but wonder what he thinks deep down missing that Lions premiership like you said.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back