List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL standard Key Forwards on our list:
Hipwood
Morris

AFL standard Key Backs on our list:
Andrews
Payne
Lester
Doedee
Gardiner

Only counting players ready to go next year. Given that imbalance, I think someone on that Key Back list will be pre-season training with the other group.

They need to be able to ruck.

I feel like you can learn that ruck role. Payne is a monster of a man he would be my first go at fwd/ruck. Which would leave Andrews and Gardiner as our tall backs with Hipwood and Payne as our tall fwds. I don't mind this.

Payne and foot issues have been hand in hand all through his career. Hard center square surface of Gabba is the last place we should be putting him on.

I wonder if Payne needs to lose a bit of weight. Even the muscle....i recall in 2007-2009 Browny getting soft tissue leg injuries and in 2010 he came back looking much leaner and agile. sometimes bigger aint always better.

I wonder if Payne needs to lose a bit of weight. Even the muscle....i recall in 2007-2009 Browny getting soft tissue leg injuries and in 2010 he came back looking much leaner and agile. sometimes bigger aint always better.

Believe he lost weight in his training block heading into finals.

In Fagan we trust. During Henry Smith's exit interview Fagan in his fatherly way says, "Henry, my boy, have a good holiday, be responsible, when you come back your - our man" Fagan makes little rabbit ears with his hands in the air. "We are putting our eggs in your basket you have shown us enough and I believe in you". "Here is your training plan, here is a video of how we want you to play - I believe in you"

Come pre-season after Christmas, when Smith has trained for a couple of months with the 'probables' in the key role it starts to click. Every session it is Andrews and Payne marking up on Smith and the team learns some new running patters to supply him and Smith learns how to bring it to ground against the best defenders.

Fagan's confidence is infectious in smith and the team, Fagan knows he cant replace Joe and 'stays fat' with smith and by mid-year we have an AFL standard ruck/forward, not a 'Joe' but one that is not easily beaten and one that Loman and Charlie are feasting off the scraps from. Fagan know he cant continually 'buy' readymade, like he had to do in 2024 he has evolved the list.
You really are a fly on the wall

So when they don't bid on him, because they were never going to, Ralphy can write a story about draft tampering

Ralphy is a VFL mouthpiece and a Tigers nuffy. He isn’t going to accuse them of draft tampering. He will write some not so subtle piece about how messed up it is that the lions are getting these rorts.

Given where Richmond is at - so many players leaving, first wooden spoon in 17 years - i really cannot see them bidding on Ashcroft at pick 1 and giving up that precious media coverage and excitement of a pick 1. What is the point in keeping us honest when North can do that to a slightly lesser extent.

ONE CAVEAT would be the theory that pick 1 comes with pressure so Richmond would want to avoid that. I guess that's a chance. But the last time a pick 1 was taken via a bid was JUH with Thilthorpe second. There is still plenty of pressure on Thilthorpe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially as the AFL has said they specifically prohibit such assurances, to the point that teams actually have to sign some such paperwork as part of the trade.

It would be naive to think such assurances don't happen off the books though.

Especially as the AFL has said they specifically prohibit such assurances, to the point that teams actually have to sign some such paperwork as part of the trade.
Yes the AFL are definitely the bastions of ensuring there are no silly shenanigans going on. First rounders for Battle and Perryman is perfectly sensible.

That had to be the stupidest part of grandstanding I've seen with regards to D&T work by the AFL.

Problem: teams aren't bidding where other teams think they should.

Solution: don't bother doing any analysis on reasoning, instead make sure nothing's in writing.

Except even if it was happening nothing was ever in writing, so that was never the problem.

I wouldn’t call Lester, Doedee or Morris KPPs. But Joyce would be borderline AFL quality
Well, I'm going to disagree with you there. And given some of the jobs Lester did over the Finals Series, I think Fages might disagree with you too. Lester is an undersized KPP, plays tall or small.

Tom Doedee, to my understanding, plays undersized intercepting KPD too.

Morris... what else are you going to call him? He's not a small forward (eg. Charlie). He's not a medium forward (eg. Bailey/Rayner). He's a tall forward. A 3rd tall, sure. But a tall forward.

They need to be able to ruck.
No. Joe was able to ruck. Joe's replacement does not automatically have to be Joe.

Hipwood has the height to backup ruck, put some work into him over the summer, have a go (for 5 mins at a time giving Oscar a chopout... Josh Dunkley can backup ruck. Hell, Charlie Cameron has gone into the ruck.

I'd happily let Darcy Gardiner have a go as backup.

Well, I'm going to disagree with you there. And given some of the jobs Lester did over the Finals Series, I think Fages might disagree with you too. Lester is an undersized KPP, plays tall or small.

Tom Doedee, to my understanding, plays undersized intercepting KPD too.

Morris... what else are you going to call him? He's not a small forward (eg. Charlie). He's not a medium forward (eg. Bailey/Rayner). He's a tall forward. A 3rd tall, sure. But a tall forward.

Lester, Doedee and Morris are third talls. You don't want them playing on true KPPs.

They've been reluctant to play Lester on marking talls all season. Maybe a resting ruck or a slow, shorter guy. He gave up our 2 marks inside 50 to McLean and Amartey in the GF

Doedee similarly plays on a ruck who isn't much of a marking threat or one of the less threatening smalls with the plan to run off and intercept

If we play Carlton we don't want either on McKay or Curnow

Morris too has the advantage of outmarking smaller backmen. That gets taken away on better tall key backs

No. Joe was able to ruck. Joe's replacement does not automatically have to be Joe.

Hipwood has the height to backup ruck, put some work into him over the summer, have a go (for 5 mins at a time giving Oscar a chopout... Josh Dunkley can backup ruck. Hell, Charlie Cameron has gone into the ruck.

I'd happily let Darcy Gardiner have a go as backup.

And if Oscar pops his shoulder in the first quarter?

A forward line of Tom McDonald, Ben Brown, Luke Jackson won a premiership. Players playing their role can kick a winning score.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back