List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

No one knows your name or the bank you work for so spill your guys I say and let us know ball park figures.
Yeah nah, I think someone on here already figured out who I was.

As much as I love bigfooty I love getting paid and none of you bums will pay my mortgage if I get fired.

Big O is in that 5-10 top ruckman bracket but can be a top 5 ruckman when rested. I don't think it is feasible to get more than 80% ruck time out of him. He cannot do a Gawn/Grundy and ruck the whole game and have a significant effect. I think we can replicate Joes 50 goals through a combination of Cameron/Rayner/Lohman/Ah Chee/Bailey. Hence, I think replacing Joes ruck minutes is more important than replacing Joes forward craft.

Before Joe in 2019/20 we were reliant on Stef/Big O combo with Cameron as the deepest forward. I think we should go back to such a setup with Fort/Big O and then going smaller with Rayner/Dunkley rotating as playing 'third tall'. I think we should also be giving Smith or Ryan some game time in periods whilst managing Fort/Big Os loads throughout the season and aim for the double ruck/two tall set up for the finals next year. Lloyd should rotate with Morris to keep him fresh.

We should also focus on developing Gardiner/Lester/Doedoe into a defensive forward as an alternative setup. If one of them can genuinely swing between forward and back then we can really flex our matchday 22 into different setups throughout the game (ie play a defensive forward or then switch them back and play Rayner as a more mobile third tall). I don't know how successful that would be. We have seen Gardiner try in 2024. We also saw Lester play some swingman/forward minutes in 2017/18 (remember that goal he kicked against the Dons to get us one of our handful of wins in the spoon year?). We have seen McStay play a similar role before he left. I think negating a Darcy Moore type is just as important as kicking 2-3 goals a game.

I think we should either recruit a DFA Key Forward after the draft or keep a spot open for the mid-season draft in case someone like Hipwood gets injured and we need a warm body. With Casboult retiring, I think we should have someone like Sam Day in mind. The rest of Joes money should go into keeping the list together for as long as possible. Shelling out money and draft picks/points for players like Tom Lynch will mean that we end up regressing our list.

The AFL system is designed to regress teams back to the pack through the draft and cap system. We need to use the various exploits to build out our list when opportunities arise. At the moment the opportunity is in the Academy and Father-son rorts. Hopefully by paying forward some contracts with Joe's money we can then rort the Free Agency window in 1-3 years and keep maximising the list. Going against the wave and spending draft capital and cash now means we will be poorer in 3 years just in time to bottom out with a fresh Tasmania entering the competition.

Last edited:
At 800k?
Tell im’ he’s dreaming!
While everyone is of the opinion that is crazy money for Owies, and rightfully so. Having a look at the bigger picture, you can gain a bit of an understanding about his managers approach.

Carlton paid Martin 650k/year back in 2019 and are currently paying Zac Williams 900k/year, to basically play the same role. With availability and performance of late you’d have Owies out preforming both.

The Blues were lauded for their approach during these two trade periods, is this the negative result of buying players for short term wins?
With the blues being so top heavy, I’d imagine a few others would be feeling similar.

While everyone is of the opinion that is crazy money for Owies, and rightfully so. Having a look at the bigger picture, you can gain a bit of an understanding about his managers approach.

Carlton paid Martin 650k/year back in 2019 and are currently paying Zac Williams 900k/year, to basically play the same role. With availability and performance of late you’d have Owies out preforming both.

The Blues were lauded for their approach during these two trade periods, is this the negative result of buying players for short term wins?
With the blues being so top heavy, I’d imagine a few others would be feeling similar.
Uhh...that's exactly what we're doing now we're buying players for short term wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henry Smith will kick 30+ goals in season 2025. Take it to the bank.
Honestly happy if Fagan says Smith you have until the bye to show what you have.
Or say the same to Fort go back to 2 ruck.
Otherwise we looking at broken down Lynch for too many overs or guys who retired/delisted or someone who not making a teams best 22 as our new #1 target

I think showing faith in a young kid can do wonders.
If Linc did not get injured I wonder if Kai would of got a good run as he did.
Morris as well only got a run as Dizzy did his knee in the same game.

Happy to get Day in or someone for some insurance. Although maybe we have enough goal kicking coverage.
Ruck yes Oscar needs a chop out.

This is what I was thinking listening to Dom argue for him.

I don’t really care about lynch being a bit of a dick on the field, but giving up a future first for that age profile and injury risk is a hard sell.
I think his potential team mates may care about his "dickiness" ;)...stuff him....we are the Premier team so no need to stoop so low.

Carlton's landed themselves with some duds over the years haven't they.

Judd and Doc were success stories. Judd wasn't a tough pick seeing he was clearly the best player in the comp and Doc fell into their lap for peanuts.

At 200cm, a decent kick at goal, a good mark and on the books for a couple more years the club could decide to make Ryan a project over the summer. Toward the end of the VFL season he looked to be getting up and around the ground a bit better.

To play him as one of three talls realistically we would need him to bring the ball to ground, clunk a couple of grabs a game, provide a chop out in the ruck and convert when he gets his chances around goal. Obviously not asking much here. :)

As previously mentioned by others it is our smalls that will help compensate up forward more than any VFL player or cooked thirty-something we would bring in.

So during the off season a decent amount of ruck work and by the practice matches the coaches would have a good idea whether he is a viable option to be in consideration as competition for the likes of Smith (big fan but a second ruck at the moment).

TBH I was a bit shocked when I first saw Ryan play here but the recruiters dont often miss and must have seen signs. The Gunston pickup (and aftermath) has proved to be one of those misses though.

I think his potential team mates may care about his "dickiness" ;)...stuff him....we are the Premier team so no need to stoop so low.
I know Lynch has a poor reputation amongst opposition supporters but I don't think that spills over into what players think.

Not that I want anything to do with him for the likely cost.

I know Lynch has a poor reputation amongst opposition supporters but I don't think that spills over into what players think.

Not that I want anything to do with him for the likely cost.
Might have to disagree on this one Marty...my memory is of our guys showing much disdain.

After a visit to the Carlton board around finals time it seemed that they didnt rate at all the lack of defensive pressure and intent that Owies provided in their forward half.

AFL standard Key Forwards on our list:
Hipwood
Morris

AFL standard Key Backs on our list:
Andrews
Payne
Lester
Doedee
Gardiner

Only counting players ready to go next year. Given that imbalance, I think someone on that Key Back list will be pre-season training with the other group.
I have been thinking this for a while and agree with you and I’d love us to trial Payne as a key forward in the preseason. He has genuine pace on the lead, can take contested marks and can probably kick for goal as well as most of our forwards. If it doesn’t work he can always go back to defence, but with Lester’s outstanding form, we only need one of Gardiner or Doedee to step up and we have 3 key backs. He has the build and height to chop out in the ruck as well. It would be great to add that versatility to our list, while going with a smaller forward line when we need Payne for matchups down back.

Yeah nah, I think someone on here already figured out who I was.

As much as I love bigfooty I love getting paid and none of you bums will pay my mortgage if I get fired.

Hi Dom. Can I request you get Fages again as a special guest on your podcast? Bit of reminiscing about the year we've just had would be good listening I reckon. Thanks in advance.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back