List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder how happy we are with MFC throwing its picks away to Essendon in the manner it did particularly those picks 40 (429) and 46 (331) and only leaving 49 (287) for Sharp?

Did we need the extra points even b/w 46 and 49 of 44 points or are they all inconsequetnail?
I don't think we will get any more than a 3rd round pick for Sharp and 44 points won't make much difference.
Ashcroft going at pick 2-5 and not pick 1 is by far the biggest points difference worry.
If Sharp ends up at another club hopefully he gets more AFL games.
Melbourne the logical place for him to go so 49 is reasonable.
Demons may want to see how the Oliver situation unfolds or doesn't until doing the Sharp trade.
If a deal can't be done for Sharp the club will be happy for him to stay and play a role.

They can just fill the airwaves with any crap because people are desperate for anything footy news. October is an awful period of radio listening... post GF but still waiting for cricket season to kick off!
...I've switched over to ABC. :oldman:
Yep, after this riveting trade period is finished on Wednesday evening I'll take my annual hiatus from Big Footy and see you good people around the start of pre season training.

#2025B2B

Yep, after this riveting trade period is finished on Wednesday evening I'll take my annual hiatus from Big Footy and see you good people around the start of pre season training.

#2025B2B
I would have done the same already but my current employment situation gives me more free time than I need, and I can only walk the dog so many times. I could do some professional development I guess... :sick:

I maintained at the time and I still do that we should have done more to retain McStay at the time and seemed too willing in my view to let him go. Perhaps ponying up more $'s wouldn't have been the catalyst to keep him but as others have said, knowing that the salary cap was always increasing, it was probably the one list decision we've gotten wrong. Hard to argue when we get so much right but decent KPD are not dime a dozen.

I maintained at the time and I still do that we should have done more to retain McStay at the time and seemed too willing in my view to let him go. Perhaps ponying up more $'s wouldn't have been the catalyst to keep him but as others have said, knowing that the salary cap was always increasing, it was probably the one list decision we've gotten wrong. Hard to argue when we get so much right but decent KPD are not dime a dozen.

I think that’s too simplistic and you don’t know the flow on effect of keeping McStay. Could we have afforded Dunkley? Could we have afforded Dunkley and had enough for Hugh? Could we have afforded Doedee or to (hopefully re-sign) some guys next season if we had kept him? How would it have impacted our structure? Would we have won the flag this year?

Letting McStay go was absolutely the right call at the time.

If McStay had not left would we have felt the need to draft Logan Morris, if we did still draft him would he of got a look in this season if we had McStay?

Too many sliding door moments to definitively know even in hindsight if McStay leaving was a positive or negative long term.

I think that’s too simplistic and you don’t know the flow on effect of keeping McStay. Could we have afforded Dunkley? Could we have afforded Dunkley and had enough for Hugh? Could we have afforded Doedee or to (hopefully re-sign) some guys next season if we had kept him? How would it have impacted our structure? Would we have won the flag this year?

It was probably line ball but he wasn't that good that I was unhappy to see him go.

The issue was what we thought we could replace him with that season.

Dan is an almost player who looks like he should be a lot better than he is but he's still worth a place in most teams when he's fit. It'd be nice if he did well at the Pies because he did a lot of hard yards with us and copped plenty of criticism so with the bad luck he's had the last 2 years he deserves a good season in 2025.

If McStay had not left would we have felt the need to draft Logan Morris, if we did still draft him would he of got a look in this season if we had McStay?

Too many sliding door moments to definitively know even in hindsight if McStay leaving was a positive or negative long term.
Yeah ,hard to know but I wasn't one for getting in any bidding war over him.

He's 30 next year . Time passes quickly doesn't it.

It was probably line ball but he wasn't that good that I was unhappy to see him go.

The issue was what we thought we could replace him with that season.

Dan is an almost player who looks like he should be a lot better than he is but he's still worth a place in most teams when he's fit. It'd be nice if he did well at the Pies because he did a lot of hard yards with us and copped plenty of criticism so with the bad luck he's had the last 2 years he deserves a good season in 2025.
Absolutely. Dan seems to be a great guy, and i’d be really happy for him if he can get 250 games out of his career, kicking about 25 goals/season at a mid-table team. 😉

Just looking through the likely trade deals there isn't any team in contention that looks like they could've improved their list to any discernable degree in 2025 compared to us.

I suppose we need to wait and see what happens with Smith and Oliver at Geelong but they could potentially be backfires. It's conjectural whether Houston is really going to improve anyone. The Richmond guys look like heading to WC if anywhere.
Does anyone really want Stringer ? And Hawthorn doing their best to screw things up.

Not a lot happening really.

Just looking through the likely trade deals there isn't any team in contention that looks like they could've improved their list to any discernable degree in 2025 compared to us.

I suppose we need to wait and see what happens with Smith and Oliver at Geelong but they could potentially be backfires. It's conjectural whether Houston is really going to improve anyone. The Richmond guys look like heading to WC if anywhere.
Does anyone really want Stringer ? And Hawthorn doing their best to screw things up.

Shai Bolton will improve the Dockers IMO, if they get Liam Baker(very good footballer, underrated by a few IMO) as well look out.

I do wonder if Fages had the blinkers on with Gunston somewhat. He did start okay but didn’t seem to have his heart in it more than anything else.
I don't think the club did anything wrong with Gunston. Based on proven goal kicking performance he was an upgrade on McStay, and I recall he was looking for a fresh start (or perhaps just a change of scenery) after a rough year personally in 2022. it didn't work out and clearly ultimately Gunston wasn't the player to thrive in a new environment - but nothing wrong with trying something different.
Giving Brandon Ryan 3-years in the reverse trade at the end of last season seems like the poor decision at this point, but there's still time and opportunity for that one to turn good. I remember Stef Martin was very close to a bust partway through his second season at Brisbane, and then something clicked.

Let's not forget, Brandon Ryan is Elite for Goal accuracy. ;)
1728872974322.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide have improved their bottom end

I don't think the club did anything wrong with Gunston. Based on proven goal kicking performance he was an upgrade on McStay, and I recall he was looking for a fresh start (or perhaps just a change of scenery) after a rough year personally in 2022. it didn't work out and clearly ultimately Gunston wasn't the player to thrive in a new environment - but nothing wrong with trying something different.
Giving Brandon Ryan 3-years in the reverse trade at the end of last season seems like the poor decision at this point, but there's still time and opportunity for that one to turn good. I remember Stef Martin was very close to a bust partway through his second season at Brisbane, and then something clicked.

Let's not forget, Brandon Ryan is Elite for Goal accuracy. ;)
View attachment 2140700

50% of his possessions turn into goals and he’s never missed. Give us Gunners and our second rounder back Hawthorn or GAGF. We know what we’ve got.

Barrass in allowing Sicily to go forward would improve the Hawks.

Sicily is a great in game fwd move but I feel like as a permanent forward teams would just realise all you need to do is body him as the ball is being kicked in

You also don’t know the flow on effect of keeping him either.

Of course I’m not unhappy about how things have turned out and now we’ve won a flag, you don’t change anything, but as I said at the time, simply allowing a KPF to walk when everyone knows how long they take to develop or how difficult they are to acquire was concerning when we must have known that the predicament were now in wasn’t unforeseen.

You also don’t know the flow on effect of keeping him either.

Of course I’m not unhappy about how things have turned out and now we’ve won a flag, you don’t change anything, but as I said at the time, simply allowing a KPF to walk when everyone knows how long they take to develop or how difficult they are to acquire was concerning when we must have known that the predicament were now in wasn’t unforeseen.

lol but we know what happened when we had him and what happened after he went to Collingwood, being we went from losing prelims and being uncompetitive in terms of that last step to a flag and making two grand finals and winning one. I don’t get your argument.

(Which isn’t to say any of that is on Dan, but it’s what happened)

Shai Bolton will improve the Dockers IMO, if they get Liam Baker(very good footballer, underrated by a few IMO) as well look out.
Yep could be a massive period for the Dockers. They were third on the ladder after round 20. Yes they stumbled just when the whips were cracking, but that suggests they were not as far off it as their ladder finish suggests.

They knocked off both grand finalists.

They seemed to have a lot of games they were in it until very late then didn't quite have the composure to win it

Lost to Carlton by 10 points at home, some very dodgy umpiring

Lost to Port at AO by 3 points, Port kicked the last 2 goals of the game

Pumped by the swans at home, but shocking goal kicking and a former teammate had just died

Drew with the pies and threw it away really

Lost to hawks by 13 at YP, hawks kicked the last 3 of the game

25 points up v Essendon in the last quarter! lost by a point

They were up v Cats at home, geelong kicked last 2 goals, won by 11

Lost to the giants by 9 points at engie, dockers got out to a 15 point lead in the second, did not lead in the last quarter but very close to it with some fluffed chances

I don't think they really lose anything when it comes to players getting too old - Fyfe is cooked anyway.

They have gun young mids who get a bit older and stronger.

Treacy had a break-out year.

Darcy couldn't get on the park.

Hawks could be the other team that improves. 1 or 2 key defenders in. Siciliy will be such a weapon going forward or back. Will be a fascinating watch the hawks - it's not a 'free hit' any more, they are not the new flavour everyone loves, and they will have a top 6 draw. That said they won't start 0-5 either!

Cats also could be getting players. I feel they took the competition by surprise, had a full pre-season, got wins on the board, mid 6 draw. So that will be a downside.

GWS seem set to lose a few. Hard to see them better but would not count them out.

Port also seem to be losing players overall.

Swans really need a key forward. Maybe McDonald will finally come on. But don't seem to be adding anyone.

Carlton just need to stop getting injuries and that would be massive improvement.

Pies i can't see it, yes they had injuries but they are ageing.

Dogs were very hot for a period there. Looks like they are losing players if anything. But if those talls all start to fire then look out.

I am going to say Gold Coast make finals. 2024 was always going to be a year of adjustment. That team just needs to show consistency and turn up away from home. Interesting new problem for Dimma though isn't it - i bet he is realising how much of an asset the tiger army was for him.

Yep could be a massive period for the Dockers. They were third on the ladder after round 20. Yes they stumbled just when the whips were cracking, but that suggests they were not as far off it as their ladder finish suggests.

They knocked off both grand finalists.

They seemed to have a lot of games they were in it until very late then didn't quite have the composure to win it

Lost to Carlton by 10 points at home, some very dodgy umpiring

Lost to Port at AO by 3 points, Port kicked the last 2 goals of the game

Pumped by the swans at home, but shocking goal kicking and a former teammate had just died

Drew with the pies and threw it away really

Lost to hawks by 13 at YP, hawks kicked the last 3 of the game

25 points up v Essendon in the last quarter! lost by a point

They were up v Cats at home, geelong kicked last 2 goals, won by 11

Lost to the giants by 9 points at engie, dockers got out to a 15 point lead in the second, did not lead in the last quarter but very close to it with some fluffed chances

I don't think they really lose anything when it comes to players getting too old - Fyfe is cooked anyway.

They have gun young mids who get a bit older and stronger.

Treacy had a break-out year.

Darcy couldn't get on the park.

Hawks could be the other team that improves. 1 or 2 key defenders in. Siciliy will be such a weapon going forward or back. Will be a fascinating watch the hawks - it's not a 'free hit' any more, they are not the new flavour everyone loves, and they will have a top 6 draw. That said they won't start 0-5 either!

Cats also could be getting players. I feel they took the competition by surprise, had a full pre-season, got wins on the board, mid 6 draw. So that will be a downside.

GWS seem set to lose a few. Hard to see them better but would not count them out.

Port also seem to be losing players overall.

Swans really need a key forward. Maybe McDonald will finally come on. But don't seem to be adding anyone.

Carlton just need to stop getting injuries and that would be massive improvement.

Pies i can't see it, yes they had injuries but they are ageing.

Dogs were very hot for a period there. Looks like they are losing players if anything. But if those talls all start to fire then look out.

I am going to say Gold Coast make finals. 2024 was always going to be a year of adjustment. That team just needs to show consistency and turn up away from home. Interesting new problem for Dimma though isn't it - i bet he is realising how much of an asset the tiger army was for him.

Gold Coast did pretty well at home this season - first step of becoming a strong team, not dropping home games. They went 7 or 8 wins straight all season until they lost one to us.

Dees making things hard for themselves with that trade with Essendon. Only have 3 more draft picks this year and have to get deals done for Sharp + Derkson potentially.

Day's stats in the VFL the past few years look decent. He's a good kick for goal and can impact contests, it's just a matter of whether he can stay fit. If the club thinks its worth the risk, I trust them. Personally I'd rather give a chance to someone running around the state leagues though, like McBean or Mitch Harvey or even Hugh Dixon.

Day's stats in the VFL the past few years look decent. He's a good kick for goal and can impact contests, it's just a matter of whether he can stay fit. If the club thinks its worth the risk, I trust them. Personally I'd rather give a chance to someone running around the state leagues though, like McBean or Mitch Harvey or even Hugh Dixon.
I see where you’re coming from and in a vacuum I’d rather those guys as well but it feels like we’ve already got too many unknown ‘state league’ key forwards in our reserves. Between Smith, Ryan and to a lesser extent Fort I think if we’re going after Day as depth and a plug and play option I’d rather someone that I know can at least be serviceable in a time of need.

So many people are treating it as Day or Smith/Ryan. If Smith/Ryan aren’t up to it at least Day can plug in when needed. Not sure why a few are against having options during the season.

I see where you’re coming from and in a vacuum I’d rather those guys as well but it feels like we’ve already got too many unknown ‘state league’ key forwards in our reserves. Between Smith, Ryan and to a lesser extent Fort I think if we’re going after Day as depth and a plug and play option I’d rather someone that I know can at least be serviceable in a time of need.

So many people are treating it as Day or Smith/Ryan. If Smith/Ryan aren’t up to it at least Day can plug in when needed. Not sure why a few are against having options during the season.

Yeah I'm not sure where the risk is in taking Day as a DFA on a 1 or even 2 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back