List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

And by upgrade, we'd have to take them in the draft - not just the standard no risk upgrade, otherwise we don't get the benefit of live picks. Traditional rookie upgrades cancel out the picks prior to the draft itself.
I'm not so sure about this. I believe it may have changed.

At the start, of course. I think we should have won it last year as well, haha. But winning back to back is hard enough as it is. Thats why it's a rare feat. Doing it on top of losing one of our most important players makes it even harder. I think winning the premiership next season would be even more impressive than this season if we were lucky enough to do it because the degree of difficulty would be greater.
I get what you mean(over a whole season) BUT it would be pretty difficult to be greater than coming back from this to win a flag >
1729079260378.png

Plus we were 13th pretty late in the season.

If Prior goes, and then we delist two rookies (say Craven and Lester), that opens up 6 picks in the national draft for all our points (we'll have 32 senior list, 4 cat A and 2 cat B rookies). Assuming we re-draft those two, leaves us four spots left for Ashcroft, Marshall, ?? and Day.
The ?? Is for Gallop ;)

Good to see we learnt from the Fev decision and avoided the fire sale on Stringer despite needing a forward.

I am not convinced re Day, even as backup given his body has not stood up. That said, with all respect I am not so sure how good the conditioning staff at the Gold Coast are given that so many of their players have struggled to get on the park, only to leave and remain relatively injury free elsewhere.

However, whilst Day might be a little more durable under our regime, I would still prefer someone with a stronger track record of getting on the park. Like others, with not much time to source a decent Joe replacement, I could see us restructuring our forward set up. Linc might yet feature more than many of us thought he would after the emergence of Kai.

I'm not so sure about this. I believe it may have changed.
Is this the specific rule they're referencing?

AFL Rules - pg. 62
10.11 Inclusion of Rookie List Player onto Primary List
(a) Primary List
A Club may apply to the AFL to transfer a Player or Players from its Rookie List onto its Primary Listi) on the day when its Primary List is lodged with the AFL prior to theNational Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 6.1 by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 33. In which case, the Club shall forfeit its last selection or, if more than one player, its last and each previous draft selection at the National AFL Draft Selection meeting.

To be honest, i'm not expecting us to win the premiership next season. I think the loss of Joe will cause a huge structural change that will take some time to adapt. There is no one on our list that is capable of anything close to what he does, so I think if we play the same way we did this season, we will be a touch behind the better sides. And if we decide to change our structure because we can't replace him, it will likely have some teething issues that will probably cost us a few games. Honestly, i'm not worried about the next season. Because even if we don't win the prem, it won't sting as much considering we won it this season. And the future of our squad and our club has never looked healthier. So much to be positive about right now. I also hope everyone backs fages next season. Despite if we win every game or if we don't. He's been through so much and he deserves our support until he decides to retire himself.

Hawks lost Franklin and went on to win 3 straight flags.

Hawks lost Franklin and went on to win 3 straight flags.

And now that fagan has figured out a plan b ....

Our team and play evolved this year and it will again next year. The players went up a level in finals, and while they won't always play at that level they will back themselves to get to that level again when needed.

They got this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiges played small ball with Reiwoldt as their only tall forward and then a bunch of tall midfielders playing third talls ala Caddy, Dusty and Rioli. They won 2017 and dominated 2018 before unexpectedly losing the preliminary. They got Lynch in 2019 (and also lost Rance) before winning again in 2020 and 2021.

I think our list is robust enough to deal with this change. In 2019 and 20 it was the Neale show. Without Neale we simply couldn't win. I think near the end of 2022 we finally had a team that was an actual contender. We just ran into another team that had also built that fortitude in Geelong. 2023 we ran into another better team in Pies.

2025 our list can still produce a premiership. We can reinvent ourselves to that 2019 2020 Cameron lead offense. We couldn't win in those years as our midfield was Neale dependent. Thos last run has shown that we now have enough support alarm Dunkley and depth ala Washcroft that we can still win the contest even if Nealen is at 80 percent.

If we can keep our midfield together there is no reason why we can't get there again.

The most likely option will be putting Lester through the draft again and take him with our last National Draft pick to open up a rookie spot for Beecken at least. That plus delisting Craven gets us five draft picks.

Lester:

Here We Go Again GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back