List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Day is a solid option, if fit, will be dangerous with a rampant midfield and rebounding defense. Can't see Day filling the second ruck void, would think Hipwood will be trained in that role for 2025 and beyond.

So our options for Joe replacements keep growing. The first lot of delistings generally have the easier cuts. The second lot of delistings often have some list squeeze victims coming in.

Day remains an option.
Nathan Krueger if he can get his body right.
Adam Tomlinson let go by the Dees today. From memory he played some forward/ruck at the Giants a few years back.

Will be interested to see whether any other possible forwards come onto the wires in the next few days.

I really like Krueger if he could get his body right. He has that mongrel and will compete hard.

I am a bit meh about Day. He's 32, not sure if his body will hold up - but that would be the same type of concern as Kreuger. Won't be fussed if he gets selected by us as we can quickly get him rolled off the books when next year targets become clear

Tomlinson - a flat no. He just does not have the mongrel and for some reason always looks unsure. Peak of his career was 2021 as Dees defender but unfortunately he got injured and missed out on that Premiership. No thanks.

This is good analysis but the only thing is I would put McLaughlan by your own reckoning as a small forward as he's listed at 181cm on the lions website and the snippets I've seen of him he seems to play like a crumbing player, but i dont watch much ressies.
Thanks. I used Footywire as my reference which had him as 185cm, and while they could certainly be wrong, Rookie Me Central seems to back up that stay. So who knows.

When I've watched him in the VFL he isn't what I'd describe as a pressure forward, he's more of a high marker who knows the way to goal. His statistics this season back this up, as he regularly has 7-9 marks a game and multiple goals, but never more than two tackles. I think pressure is the biggest thing he needs to work on. Craven doesn't have the same marking or scoring ability but has much better pressure.

I think we are more likely to keep Beecken over Craven,
I would agree, but we could keep both and let Prior go. Or even keep all three if we don't want any other draft prospects or academy players this time.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Coleman or Wilmot play more wing then half back next year.
Perhaps, but it's worth considering how little we get our wings involved in the play, and how much we use them as a place for our extra inside midfielders to cover. Maybe that needs to adapt this year since teams will focus on countering our strengths more.

I was big wraps on Brain across the half back line too, but we are definitely stacked back there with quality. Zorko could also be a surprise packet to play as a pure forward pocket again, to help with that small forward issue too and open space up down back.
I agree with others here, I'd leave Zorko where he is, he's doing well there. Maybe Brain needs to try playing small forward.

Sam Weideman
delisted, 27, has experience up forward? Maybe?

I really like Krueger if he could get his body right. He has that mongrel and will compete hard.

I am a bit meh about Day. He's 32, not sure if his body will hold up - but that would be the same type of concern as Kreuger. Won't be fussed if he gets selected by us as we can quickly get him rolled off the books when next year targets become clear

Tomlinson - a flat no. He just does not have the mongrel and for some reason always looks unsure. Peak of his career was 2021 as Dees defender but unfortunately he got injured and missed out on that Premiership. No thanks.
Krueger is one of them tall forwards who goes for chest marks only, taking the ball at the lowest point as a tall forward is a no for me.
Day can take overhead grabs which is better for making contests at the least

Sam Weideman

Makes Schache look like a fierce competitor. No thank you.

My #1 criteria for whoever we get as tall forward/ruck backup is that they have to compete in the air. We need someone who can sit under a high bomb up the wing and not just get out-positioned or out-toughed immediately.

Last edited:
Krueger is one of them tall forwards who goes for chest marks only, taking the ball at the lowest point as a tall forward is a no for me.
Kreuger also super injury prone.

He does have some good attributes so if you could be guaranteed of fitness I'd be slightly interested, but agree with you generally.

Sam Weideman

He couldn't break into Melb or Essendon best side. Would be a downgrade on Brandon Ryan and IMO a fit Sam Day. Gives me Schache vibes and offers little imo. In essence, list spots are tight and we don't need a second Ryan.

I feel that if the club is not looking at anyone other than, or younger than Day, it really makes me feel we have someone on the hook for the end of next year.

We don’t want to get caught with someone who is going to take money out of the cap for a Longer period of time.
If we are trying to tempt a Kreuger or Weideman to leave VIC to come up here for 1 year, we are probably kidding ourselves.

I think we will be backing up the track for Oscar Allen. Will be hard to pry from Weagles though.

Also wonder if it’s worth taking two delisted spuds to assist with KPF depth. We probably need to do some list management accounting to make that work? I’m just unsure on Day ability to stay healthy.

If we grab two injury prone spuds in Day and Krueger it might be enough to have at least one fit at a time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day played 20 games (I think) in 2023.
13 this year. Same injury as Choc cut his season short.

We will heal him.
Did Day’s Plantar Fascia actually snap?
Hope so, because if not, it will stay aggravated until it does.

Did Day’s Plantar Fascia actually snap?
Hope so, because if not, it will stay aggravated until it does.
Below from an AFL article dated 9/7/24.
No mention of surgery.
He did not play at AFL level after that.
However, he returned to the VFL later
R20, he kicked 2g. 0b
Played again in a losing Wildcard final kicking 4g. 2b

Sam Day was unable to finish the match against North Melbourne after succumbing to a plantar fascia issue in his foot.

The key forward will miss the next 4-6 weeks as he recovers.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back