List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Thanks GIF by M&M’S Chocolate
Mmmmmm MnMs

think this forum overrates prior, i wrote him off after his performance against hawthorn in 2023. one of the worst games i can recall from a brisbane player in the last 5 years. what are his afl level traits? happy if he gets picked up elsewhere and equally happy to commit that list spot to somebody else.

think this forum overrates prior, i wrote him off after his performance against hawthorn in 2023. one of the worst games i can recall from a brisbane player in the last 5 years. what are his afl level traits? happy if he gets picked up elsewhere and equally happy to commit that list spot to somebody else.

He's not an A-grade player so there is inconsistency in his output but by league standards - composure, kicking, reading of the play, competitiveness and leadership/culture. He would get games in a lesser side where he isn't behind the talent we have IMO. Has an obvious ceiling, but is at the level.

I was at that game too, could not believe what I was seeing. He barely even tried, literally looked like he was walking around the wing sulking. I’m not sad he’s gone.

In my case I've spent the last few years backing the guy (Prior) to make it with the Lions so I'm not going to stick the boot into him on the way out. Let's see if he gets picked up.

We are sometimes too quick to write off players who leave for instance Keays and Hinge. Five or so years in and they are not looking like cementing a spot then in most cases greener pastures is the go, especially with a list crunch.

In my case I've spent the last few years backing the guy (Prior) to make it with the Lions so I'm not going to stick the boot into him on the way out. Let's see if he gets picked up.

We are sometimes too quick to write off players who leave for instance Keays and Hinge. Five or so years in and they are not looking like cementing a spot then in most cases greener pastures is the go, especially with a list crunch.

Ben Keays always had AFL level traits. Its just that he was behind Neale, Lyons, McCluggage, J Berry in the midfield, behind Cameron, Bailey and Mccarthy in the forward line and does not have the tank to play wing or the disposal skills to play half back. Keays is lucky he got to the Crows where their deficiencies let Keays play his role as a half forward. Despite this I think Keays limitations remain the same (tank and kicking). Hinge was offered a contract but declined for a bigger contract at the Crows. I think Hinge is comparable to Answerth (though some might say Answerth has eclipsed him this year)

I think Prior has some large deficiencies with his disposal and his decision making. He is nowhere near Starc in defense and Answerth has improved his disposal and overtaken him. Prior lost his wing spot to Jaspa in his first year. I'm not sure if consistent game time will help Prior improve his disposal at AFL level. I think he will be like Witherden if he gets picked up. He will be good enough to be in the 22 for a bottom 4 side but I doubt he will be someone that you keep in your 22 when you lift out of that position.

Ben Keays always had AFL level traits. Its just that he was behind Neale, Lyons, McCluggage, J Berry in the midfield, behind Cameron, Bailey and Mccarthy in the forward line and does not have the tank to play wing or the disposal skills to play half back. Keays is lucky he got to the Crows where their deficiencies let Keays play his role as a half forward. Despite this I think Keays limitations remain the same (tank and kicking). Hinge was offered a contract but declined for a bigger contract at the Crows. I think Hinge is comparable to Answerth (though some might say Answerth has eclipsed him this year)

I think Prior has some large deficiencies with his disposal and his decision making. He is nowhere near Starc in defense and Answerth has improved his disposal and overtaken him. Prior lost his wing spot to Jaspa in his first year. I'm not sure if consistent game time will help Prior improve his disposal at AFL level. I think he will be like Witherden if he gets picked up. He will be good enough to be in the 22 for a bottom 4 side but I doubt he will be someone that you keep in your 22 when you lift out of that position.
Was it luck with Keays though or did he just work his arse off on the way to becoming a B&F at an AFL club? Was it luck that he chose to go to a club that was a good fit for him? More hard work and good judgement than luck. Cant we all just accept that Keays is now a good AFL player?

Without riling anyone up when Keays was M/F for the Crows he was doing it at both ends unlike some of our guys at the time and one of their top players . His tank was as good as anybody's.

He won their B/F this year. From a F/flank but getting around the ground as well.

Dunno what he has to do for people not to view him the same way they've always viewed him because he isn't that player.

Without riling anyone up when Keays was M/F for the Crows he was doing it at both ends unlike some of our guys at the time and one of their top players . His tank was as good as anybody's.

He won their B/F this year. From a F/flank but getting around the ground as well.

Dunno what he has to do for people not to view him the same way they've always viewed him because he isn't that player.
Been there since 2020 and has been in top 5 of their Best n Fairest 4/5 years.

This year's win is pretty significant when he had to concede midfield time and start impacting in other ways. Kicked 34 goals as a forward and still impacted midfield by winning clearances or shutting down players late in the game. Keays is a vital cog in the crows system these days and has continued to adapt on the fly.

1729721213640.png

Been there since 2020 and has been in top 5 of their Best n Fairest 4/5 years.

This year's win is pretty significant when he had to concede midfield time and start impacting in other ways. Kicked 34 goals as a forward and still impacted midfield by winning clearances or shutting down players late in the game. Keays is a vital cog in the crows system these days and has continued to adapt on the fly.

View attachment 2150701
As a South Australian, it's a massive honour to be able to watch Brisbane Lions legends in Ben Keays and Mitch Hinge run around the field regularly and be the best players on another team's list.

Those Lions coaches do know how to get the best out of anyone, even if they don't play for us anymore ;)

Was it luck with Keays though or did he just work his arse off on the way to becoming a B&F at an AFL club? Was it luck that he chose to go to a club that was a good fit for him? More hard work and good judgement than luck. Cant we all just accept that Keays is now a good AFL player?

There's luck involved in any career. No need to get offended by 1 little comment

Keays especially given his issues required AFL gametime to resolve and he managed to get drafted to a team with a shocking midfield

I remember that Hawthorn game. Couldn’t believe how bad his performance was. May have put a question mark against his name. However I thought he played an acceptable game in his one afl game this year. Has been consistently good at vfl level.

As I have said before he plays like an undersized key back. Goes well at vfl level playing this role, but undersized at afl level. doesn't have the speed or reaction time to be small defender. I don’t see the problems others have identified in his disposal and decision making. Has a strong body and may have a role in a developing side providing some protection to younger more talented players. Would like to see him on ball but have queries on his tank.

Like all delisted Lions I wish him well in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's luck involved in any career. No need to get offended by 1 little comment

Keays especially given his issues required AFL gametime to resolve and he managed to get drafted to a team with a shocking midfield
Nathan every time Keays name comes up you instantly go out of your way with the laughing emojis and generally derogatory comments to downplay his achievements.

We've heard the same thing 100 times.

After 8 or 10 years maybe it's time you got off his back.

It’s a small thing, but Keays definitely has the tank to play wing. One of the best distance runners in the competition.

Shocks me north haven’t been interested in any of our players.

Prior would be a great get for them - strong lad who doesn’t shirk a contest and is afl standard.

I guess they are okay for mids but given how poor they have been why not go Dev as a half forward putting pressure on and setting an example with some tough tackling. Also likes a goal.

I think of players like bastinac - no star but helped us in our gradual step to get better.

Our huge list of players out of contract in 12 months is big with many that we need signed up yesterday:

Must re-signs - Lohmann, Ah Chee, Morris, Rayner and Starcevich

Likely retirements - Zorko, Lester and McKenna

Retire or one more year: McCarthy, Gardiner, Fort and Joyce

Make or break seasons for: Robertson, Lloyd, Zakostelsky, Tunstill, Torrent and rookies McLachlan, Beecken and Craven

Time for DD and Dom Ambrogio to get to work on that top list.

Last edited:
Nathan every time Keays name comes up you instantly go out of your way with the laughing emojis and generally derogatory comments to downplay his achievements.

We've heard the same thing 100 times.

After 8 or 10 years maybe it's time you got off his back.

You realise I find it funny because 1 person mentions Keays and lucky and there was a 100% chance you'd pipe in straight away

Our huge list of players out of contract in 12 months is big with many that we need signed up yesterday:

Must re-signs - Lohmann, Ah Chee, Morris, Rayner, Andrews and Starcevich

Make or break seasons for: Robertson, Lloyd, Zakostelsky, Tunstill, Torrent and rookies McLachlan, Beecken and Craven

Didn't Harris sign a new deal recently?

Oh did he; I must've missed the announcement.

I was looking at dlanod's thread and the link only had him to 2025 https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/player-contract-status.1056345/

I did google it and find the HA extension from last month here
The year was right. BigFooty is a bit flaky if you're changing links on existing text - you'll see a few that may not have a link on the last character, which usually means the updated link didn't "stick" after I edited the year. Brain and Answerth are others, looking at them. :(

Edit: yep, did it again after an update too. Crap software.

You realise I find it funny because 1 person mentions Keays and lucky and there was a 100% chance you'd pipe in straight away
First time I'd been to BF in 2 days and there it was ,someone having a crack at Keays again out of the blue.

I'm tipping you've chimed in on Keays more than me as a first responder.

Add em up.

Must re-signs - Lohmann, Ah Chee, Morris, Rayner and Starcevich

Zakostelsky will be safe for next year. Guy is the defender equivalent of Sharp and Lloyd - he'll take 3-4 years to show something. Would be silly to cut him next year with that in mind. Same with Lloyd.

Beecken will stay on if Zorks retires, Craven and McLachlan probably stay on too.

Tunstill and Robertson will be delists or trades, Lester and McKenna retire (plus Zorko), which leaves 5 lists spots next year, one gets taken by Annable, one by whatever forward is brought in, which then leaves spots for any other trades/free agents/etc. who get brought in.

Only question mark out of the OOC's would be Kai and Starce. If we keep the 3 tall structure, McCarthy, Kai and Bailey are all playing for the same spot in the team. Can only have 2 of them with 3 talls on the field, even with a 5-man bench

Starce is a name that keeps coming up as a name that's floated around (mainly by the Eagles board/supporters) as someone who could leave. Apparently, he has a property or two out Perth way. Could be covered by Answorth if he did leave, but you'd want to keep him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back