List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Joe stay on to coach Hippy into his role?

Please.

A lot of posters on here are pretty harsh towards Hippy.
He looked to be able to fill in for Joe if he retired, like in the Bulldogs game, until he got a few injuries.

Like Bags and Neale, he did a pretty good job to hide it until he had to miss those three games.

TDK would be an insanely good get for us and perfect for the role we like as forward / back-up ruck.

I would have to agree with old mate Blues WalshisGoat or whatever it was, who i thought put out the perfectly reasonable case that we won't have the draft capital and the could match a bid to force a trade. It doesn't happen much but it happens for big fish ie Dangerfield. I think he would be the number one player Carlton would not want to lose, putting Cripps aside (who signed on forever)

We'll see what TDK manages next year but he looms as one of the guns of the game i reckon. The caveat being that while Luke Jackson has loomed as that for 3-4 years it's a hard role to manage consistency in terms of output if you are not a true key forward first and foremost like Joe.

If he has a good season next year he could be on $1.5m which is too much for us.

Only needs about a minute or two with him.

‘Approach each ballup or bounce entirely based on vibe and do whatever you like in there’.
Imagine Joe as a coach. Don't get me wrong, I think he has a great footy brain but I also think he just does things that come natural to him. He wouldn't understand why his key forward doesn't stay down from the ruck contest, get the tap, sprint towards goal and bomb it from 70 for an easy goal when he explained that was the game plan.

A bit like when Ronaldo told one of the players in the team he is now the president of that if he gets into a similar situation again (the guy missed a shot or something) it is just much easier to dribble around the goalie rather than take a shot. To which the player replied 'Yeah, nah mate, you're Ronaldo you can do those things, I can't do those things.' or something along those lines but in Brasilian Portuguese obviously not English.

In all seriousness though, Joe would probably be an excellent development coach because of his cool, calm and gold fish demeanor.

He's taken a few ruck contests throughout the year. It happened when Oscar/Darcy were on the bench, so Joe was playing up the field/behind the ball. Then Eric would take ruck contests in the forward line.
Thought he did a pretty good job most of the time really. In a relatively low-risk-high-reward role to be fair.

Thought he did a pretty good job most of the time really. In a relatively low-risk-high-reward role to be fair.
I think Hipwood's coachable for rucking duties because he always tries his guts out and he's tall enough.

I just wonder whether we're better off developing his other attributes so he gets up the ground and as a marking target on the wings like Joe was where we'd get a lot more mileage out of him. I don't mind him going up in the ruck 2 or 3 times a game but not so convinced he's the right person to ruck a often as Joe did.

I can't believe there is any criticism of Morris OR any comparison to him and Bradshaw.

Morris is a first year player, promoted for his first gave in rather extraordinary circumstances and performed so well he effectively played out the season for us and winning a grand final. I know we like to discuss players and their faults but give the kid a break - if any kid in his first year should be off limits - leave Morris alone we could not have hoped for more.

Comparisons to Bradshaw - well yes he was a 3rd tall forward but that is all. Bradshaw had arms like legs, he protected the drop zone and marked with strength or he had hands of steel on the lead. But if the ball hit the ground or went over the back, Bradders was the Queen Mary and 30 meters down the ground still trying to turn around. Those a little older may remember he took up a trade as a Carpenter to have something after footy but couldn't bend over with his back. Morris is still a skinny kid, great in traffic, fast with his hands, runs 2 directions and I'd argue his upside is way higher that Bradders who I loved watching with Lynch and Brown taking the big boys out of the way.

Let's move on.

I think Hipwood's coachable for rucking duties because he always tries his guts out and he's tall enough.

I just wonder whether we're better off developing his other attributes so he gets up the ground and as a marking target on the wings like Joe was where we'd get a lot more mileage out of him. I don't mind him going up in the ruck 2 or 3 times a game but not so convinced he's the right person to ruck a often as Joe did.
Sometimes Joe barely competed in the ruck and played more as a 4th mid as well. Richmond won a couple of flags with a backup ruckman who basically tried to rove his opponents taps. You just need a body there to provide something, whether that is a contest or do a joe and 'suss out the vibe of the ruck contest' to paraphrase Elixuh

Only needs about a minute or two with him.

‘Approach each ballup or bounce entirely based on vibe and do whatever you like in there’.

Joe never tried to tap. Just always tried to push his man away, grab it and kick it forward for space or at goal. Never strayed away from that. Hipwood just doesn’t have the strength to replicate that easily unfortunately.

Still good for a kid with lot's of development in front of him, who played well over and above what was expected, yet you find a way to bag him...stop expecting perfection from the players.

I literally used a goat emoji to describe McMorris. I think he's awesome.

His set shot goalkicking could be improved to make him a better player though - this isn't me expecting perfection, its pointing out scope for improvement in his second season!

Are we not allowed to make that sort of observation lol?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His set shot goalkicking could be improved to make him a better player though - this isn't me expecting perfection, its pointing out scope for improvement in his second season!

Morris is someone who relies on his instinctive smart play as a forward which means once he puts his mind to it he'll be a good set shot.

I think he just lost concentration at times with his set shots ,understandably for a kid. Just presumed he'd nail them all.

I agree it's something he can work work on. The major thing for Morris is to really work on his fitness over the next couple of years and if he gets that right he could propel himself into an A Grader well ahead of schedule.

Tom, I expected better of you. Ending a post with "lol" and a question mark? Wow. Just wow.

Quit observing!!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back