List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Sameā€¦ Though if weā€™re only taking the four picks thatā€™s likely how it will pan outā€¦

Weā€™ve committed to the 2x Campos and upgrading Boyd.
I've been assuming "4 picks" is add 2 players via draft, and 2 Camporeales, plus Boyd upgrade. I'd also be hoping for at least 1 good addition via trade/FA to value add to the team (and then maybe 1 defcon 1 depth option). That would be 6 new faces to the side. Would that mean 7 or 8 would have to come off the list (depending in part how Lucas Camporeale comes on to the list - draft or rookie)...?
Edit: Also must remember Duffy... how do they all fit in...?

And, to add to the above, below are next year's OOC players that will probably also factor somewhat into this year's calculations. It'll be interesting working out who will be staying or going...

Jack Silvagni
3. Jesse Motlop
5. Adam Cerra
7. Matthew Kennedy
11. Mitch McGovern
12. Tom De Koning
14. Orazio Fantasia
15. Sam Docherty
17. Brodie Kemp
23. Jacob Weitering
24. Nic Newman
29. George Hewett (RFA)
31. Harry Lemmey
34. Rob Monahan (International Rookie Cat B)
35. Billy Wilson
36. Cooper Lord - MSD (Rookie)
39. Alex Cincotta (Pre-season SSP 2023)
Adam Saad

Players 22 and under (2002 and below) who I believe are best 22 quality for the future

Cowan, Motlop, O hollands, E Hollands, Binns, Lord, Moir

Others who havenā€™t been named in either not convinced with or havenā€™t seen enough of.

Itā€™s a better crew than I thought but needs improving. Father sons come in and NGA, keep our first rounder this year and suddenly it looks like a good crop

He goes for the high flying marks. Problem is heā€™s getting in Charlie or Harryā€™s way doing it
Charlie doesnā€™t lead so not an issue for him.

H does lead and I canā€™t recall owies getting in his way.

I think this silly idea was initiated by **** nuckle Kingy

arenā€™t we the most efficient side in the league going inside 50? Thatā€™s with no good crumberā€™s at all. The amount of times I see people bemoan us just bombing it to Harry or more so Charlie but then we discredit Owies who is the only other player capable of finding space inside 50 to be a target.

:pointup:This

Just a random question. The thought seems to be that Lucas Camporeale could find his way via a Rookie selection. But if that's the case, could another club bid on Lucas with a late pick to force us to put him on the main list (with idea of messing with our LM strategy)..?
Yes, they most certainly could. Theoretically, he could be bid on at pick 1.

Just a random question. The thought seems to be that Lucas Camporeale could find his way via a Rookie selection. But if that's the case, could another club bid on Lucas with a late pick to force us to put him on the main list (with idea of messing with our LM strategy)..?

It seems we would need to have a list spot open, so that if he got bid on late, we could match. And then we'd cop an $80k hit to our salary cap by having a 37/5 split instead of 36/6.
I guess it's unlikely that anyone would make a bid in the 70s or later?

Father/son (primary/rookie list)
The AFL Rules will be amended to reflect that a club wanting to include a Father-Son player on its Primary or Rookie List must submit a Form 39A, consistent with the Northern Academy and NGA process. If there is no bid on the player in the AFL National Draft and they are otherwise not selected by the aligned club, that club may pre-list the player to their rookie list.

Yes, they most certainly could. Theoretically, he could be bid on at pick 1.
Yes, I get that, although it seems Lucas will be either a late pick or Rookie draft selection. But it would make LM easier if it's 2 draftees, plus Ben C, plus Boyd upgrade, with Lucas as Rookie... and that's why I wondered if other clubs would bid on Lucas with a late pick to mess with our LM strategy...

It seems we would need to have a list spot open, so that if he got bid on late, we could match. And then we'd cop an $80k hit to our salary cap by having a 37/5 split instead of 36/6.
I guess it's unlikely that anyone would make a bid in the 70s or later?

Father/son (primary/rookie list)
The AFL Rules will be amended to reflect that a club wanting to include a Father-Son player on its Primary or Rookie List must submit a Form 39A, consistent with the Northern Academy and NGA process. If there is no bid on the player in the AFL National Draft and they are otherwise not selected by the aligned club, that club may pre-list the player to their rookie list.

Thanks, Stamos!

The other way to approach the Lucas situation is to just leave the spot, and if he doesn't get bid on, then we pre-list him as a Rookie, and take a pick in the PSD.

While this wouldn't be as good as knowing there is no bid coming, and taking a 4th (eg) ND pick, it's potentially a better option than taking Lucas in the ND, and then having a later 1st rookie pick.

I've been assuming "4 picks" is add 2 players via draft, and 2 Camporeales, plus Boyd upgrade. I'd also be hoping for at least 1 good addition via trade/FA to value add to the team (and then maybe 1 defcon 1 depth option). That would be 6 new faces to the side. Would that mean 7 or 8 would have to come off the list (depending in part how Lucas Camporeale comes on to the list - draft or rookie)...?
Edit: Also must remember Duffy... how do they all fit in...?
That's a good question.

There's been a fair bit of debate around the Cat B rookie list rules. I could be wrong, but I believe he can be signed as a Cat B rookie as an international.

The questions I have are:
  • can we retain 3 on our Cat B rookie list (similar to Geelong) - Duffy, Monahan and Akuei
  • are Cat B rookies now permitted to remain on the list for 4 years if they've played less than 10 games (as per Cat A).

Which means we can retain big Dom if we want to give him for another year.

The other way to approach the Lucas situation is to just leave the spot, and if he doesn't get bid on, then we pre-list him as a Rookie, and take a pick in the PSD.

While this wouldn't be as good as knowing there is no bid coming, and taking a 4th (eg) ND pick, it's potentially a better option than taking Lucas in the ND, and then having a later 1st rookie pick.
Can another team select Lucas before us in the PSD?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once a f/s gets past a 3rd round, clubs won't bid on the player
Well, not since Dodoro has now departed....although the bid on JSOS was an end of 3rd round pick.

The funny part with that is that Dodo was obviously playing funny buggers putting in the bid to 'keep us honest' - and they ended up selecting Mitch Brown when we matched the bid. The following two selections were Sam Collins and Jordan Dawson šŸ¤£

He was the gift that kept on giving...gonna miss the big lug.

Unless... we pass a pick, and then another club takes him. Don't believe we can match at that point, right?

We can thank Russell and his team for Motlop this year, been an absolute schemozzle

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm certainly not an advocate for our S&C team but you can't blame Russell for Motlop refusing to follow his direct opponent or having questionable work rate.

Jesse has talent. We all know that. I have heard the club were less than impressed with how he went about his rehab and that may suggest why he spent longer than normal in the VFL. My question marks on Jesse is clearly his defensive side. He's allowing his opponent to have an influence higher up the ground.

Apparently Motlop had an amazing pre-season.

Got turf toe which turned into 2 more soft tissue injuries.
Walsh has missed the last 3 pre seasons in some form or another and had a delayed start to each of those years. He still comes back and absolutely plays his heart out without fail.

Motlop was injured, but he came back with practically no fitness at all. Was averaging 6-7 disposals a game in the VFL for the first few weeks he got back for. Then when he got back to AFL level he's been found not chasing hard, letting his opponents run off him and generally just lazy play.

Can't blame that on Russell no matter how disastrous the injury management this year has been

Walsh has missed the last 3 pre seasons in some form or another and had a delayed start to each of those years. He still comes back and absolutely plays his heart out without fail.

Motlop was injured, but he came back with practically no fitness at all. Was averaging 6-7 disposals a game in the VFL for the first few weeks he got back for. Then when he got back to AFL level he's been found not chasing hard, letting his opponents run off him and generally just lazy play.

Can't blame that on Russell no matter how disastrous the injury management this year has been
If we're going to use Walsh as the comparison then no player in the League is going to measure up.

If we're going to use Walsh as the comparison then no player in the League is going to measure up.
Doesn't make the argument any less relevant though. Motlop came back from his injuries in poor shape for an AFL footballer. He hasn't been able to find any form at AFL level since his return likely on the back of that. Star players and preparers like Walsh would never find themselves in that situation.

He needs a big pre season to get himself as fit as he can get, natural talent won't carry him through his career if he isn't willing to put in the extras.

Walsh is an unfair measuring stick. Motlop also naturally carries extra fat.

Motlop was injured twice during rehab, hard to know how much physical activity he could partake in whilst continuing to break down under Russell's program. No matter how its spun, a turf toe turning into a 16-weeker multiple soft tissue injury (when he has no real history of them) is poorly managed - perhaps by both club & player.

Also re: VFL form, I think he's one of those guys that plays better at AFL than VFL, like Moir.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back