List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" comes to mind when I look at Motlop.

A high performance manager can create a program that will get you to where you should be but if you're not prepared to put in the work it's not going to magically happen for you.

This will be more evident once we see how he goes with the Russell replacement...

And, to add to the above, below are next year's OOC players that will probably also factor somewhat into this year's calculations. It'll be interesting working out who will be staying or going...

Jack Silvagni
3. Jesse Motlop
5. Adam Cerra
7. Matthew Kennedy
11. Mitch McGovern
12. Tom De Koning
14. Orazio Fantasia
15. Sam Docherty
17. Brodie Kemp
23. Jacob Weitering
24. Nic Newman
29. George Hewett (RFA)
31. Harry Lemmey
34. Rob Monahan (International Rookie Cat B)
35. Billy Wilson
36. Cooper Lord - MSD (Rookie)
39. Alex Cincotta (Pre-season SSP 2023)
Adam Saad
Thanks for next years list Rev!!!

Itā€™s always sensible when doing anything LM wise to assess the future a year or 2 out.

Looking at that list, a case could be made for many to not get further contracts which is sad but all part of football life.

As Iā€™m cut throat, only people Iā€™d currently be trying to reconstruct are: TDK and Weitering. They are the 2 you put all your effort into.

After those 2, you really need to see how Doc goes either end of this year or next year before making a decision. 31 in a couple of months so mid 32 at the start of the 2026 campaign. 3 knee recos. If he gets a flag this year or next I could see him transitioning away from playing into coaching. Could open up approx 700k?

Kemp the next in line imo but I would think the club hold off until next year to see where he actually fits into the side.

Cerra is currently injury prone and if his body canā€™t get right come round 20 next year, it could spell danger for him. Probably around 650k. I donā€™t think the club will be in a hurry to re-sign until we really know more about his body and if itā€™s going to be fixed or an ongoing problem.

Lord imo looks the goods and maybe a Cerra fill in or replacement? No rush but mid next year if he continues, would think we sign him for 2-3 years.

Wilson, same as Lord, needs time.

McGovern, Kennedy, Hewett, JSOS, Saad, Newman and Fantasia. I expect to see at least 3 of these released. I love most of them but all are either getting a tad older or maybe not best 22. If I was a betting man Iā€™d think Fantasia, Newman, JSOS and Saad could all be in a bit of trouble getting 2026 and beyond contracts at this early stage. Kennedy another as Iā€™d prefer Hewett over Kennedy but thatā€™s just my personal preference.

I can see around 6 from that list not being part of our 2026 program

Start of the year, heard that Mots didn't present in a professional manner, hopefully that changed during the course of the year
I heard Russell on Dyl and friends (I think). Right at the end of interview AR was asked to nominate players who, he thought, were firing in the preseason and he mentioned Mots and Harry L.

I heard Russell on Dyl and friends (I think). Right at the end of interview AR was asked to nominate players who, he thought, were firing in the preseason and he mentioned Mots and Harry L.
That's definitely in line with what I saw before the toe injury. He looked as lean as I'd seen him and certainly more dynamic. It's such a shame his year has ended up being so disappointing

This will be more evident once we see how he goes with the Russell replacement...

Hopefully there's a better relationship there, someone that can better motivate and keep on the same page as him.

These things can turn around quite quickly and doesn't necessarily equate to the ability or lack thereof of the professional. I.e. I'd suspect some players to really take to the new guy and go from strength to strength while others may be change resistant.

I reckon it depends on the definition of 'firing'. I attended most of open sessions in pre season, and what I saw was a player who's got wonderful skills and goal sense. He was thrust into the centre bounces at times during match sim, and his dash and skill to weave out of traffic was a bit of an eye opener.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that his fitness and work rate are up to standard. Injuries have no doubt played a part, but at no time during the season has he looked match fit. And his work rate is well below standard imo.

I'm hoping like **** he can get it all together because he has the natural skills to become a top line AFL footballer....just not convinced he has the commitment right now.

I reckon it depends on the definition of 'firing'. I attended most of open sessions in pre season, and what I saw was a player who's got wonderful skills and goal sense. He was thrust into the centre bounces at times during match sim, and his dash and skill to weave out of traffic was a bit of an eye opener.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that his fitness and work rate are up to standard. Injuries have no doubt played a part, but at no time during the season has he looked match fit. And his work rate is well below standard imo.

I'm hoping like **** he can get it all together because he has the natural skills to become a top line AFL footballer....just not convinced he has the commitment right now.
You should do a podcast Bamboo. I could be your clueless assistant Wilbur.

I saw him during pre season and he was flying. Looked great. Very disappointed when he got injured.

Gut feel is he didn't handle injury to well after doing everything right to be ready

TBF how many of our Hamstring injuries have recovered and played well when they came back? Cerra Saad Williams Motlop have all seemed to struggle to get near their best

100%

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" comes to mind when I look at Motlop.

A high performance manager can create a program that will get you to where you should be but if you're not prepared to put in the work it's not going to magically happen for you.
Motlop was flying in the preseason, then bang, soft tissue injury.. Hasn't recovered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Motlop was flying in the preseason, then bang, soft tissue injury.. Hasn't recovered.
To be frank, soft tissue injuries and his fitness level can be put down to professionalism. It's fairly well known that preparation is key when it comes to soft tissue injuries, and given how his lingered then his apparent lack of fitness on his return tells me his professionalism wasn't up to scratch.

Big chance a small high winning numbers Bulldog will be available next year. Currently out of favour most of year at kennel.
WIth Austin's form picking up Western Bulldogs players. Coming to Carlton next year a real chance.
You have to work out is it ;
CD or JM.
Surely someone else knows the gossip.

Big chance a small high winning numbers Bulldog will be available next year. Currently out of favour most of year at kennel.
WIth Austin's form picking up Western Bulldogs players. Coming to Carlton next year a real chance.
You have to work out is it ;
CD or JM.
Surely someone else knows the gossip.
Would prefer the flying mullet (even despite his off field indiscretions and the fact that he comes across as a bit of a flog).

To be frank, soft tissue injuries and his fitness level can be put down to professionalism. It's fairly well known that preparation is key when it comes to soft tissue injuries, and given how his lingered then his apparent lack of fitness on his return tells me his professionalism wasn't up to scratch.

So what youā€™re saying is that for a very large chunk of the list we have a lot of players that are lacking professionalism year after year after year?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am probably in the minority here but Fantasia does one thing that I love, he lowers his eyes when kicking into the F50 rather than bombing away like so many others.
He also offers smarts. However, he is not producing goals like I expected him to do.
Berry can take his spotā€¦..class

Yes, I get that, although it seems Lucas will be either a late pick or Rookie draft selection. But it would make LM easier if it's 2 draftees, plus Ben C, plus Boyd upgrade, with Lucas as Rookie... and that's why I wondered if other clubs would bid on Lucas with a late pick to mess with our LM strategy...
Won't matter because we are overstocked for rookies. Need to make space to get him in there. Effectively the same thing for Salary cap considerations. The name in the rookie spot doesn't really matter. Just the number of rookies.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Also re: VFL form, I think he's one of those guys that plays better at AFL than VFL, like Moir.

Beware the incredibly small sample size thereā€¦ Moir has played two quarters of football, coming on with fresh legs late in the game each time. I agree heā€™s got something there, but letā€™s wait until heā€™s playing full matchesā€¦

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back