List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

It would sort of feel like taking a sledgehammer to break a nut imo. We just need someone solid while we address other problems.
Perfectly reasonable view to take, from an outsiderā€™s perspective I think if you fix your pace issue and can get a Betts like small forward at the feet of the big boys youā€™ll be laughing. Campo brothers are a bit slow I think?
How do you think Barrass would go on most mobile forwards?
In a good system well. Heā€™s extremely good at reading the flight and being where the ball is going to be and kills contests very effectively. Deceptively fast off the mark and not bad for a tall when the ball is on the ground. Learnt from Gov who is the best reader of the footy Iā€™ve ever seen. Mind you Charlie has given us a bit of a touch up recently. So has Tex.

Contracted for another two years Pick 15 with significant salary contribution is what weā€™d be looking for or early 2R without. Heā€™d be a good fit at the Blues with Martin likely going but donā€™t think heā€™d thrive in Melbourne.
Pick 15 for Liam Ryan? Isn't he cooked?

I don't understand our interest in him at all, dude looks like he's checked out.

Forget skills, pace, tackling, if Berrys an inside mid, howā€™s he only average 13 possessions.

If you have poor foot skills, you need to be able to find the ball
While I am not a fan of being linked with Berry, due to the style of player he is as opposed to my, and most supporters views of our needs, he is a decent player.

The last thing you should do is judge him on averages of any sort. He has played sub in a significant number of games with limited game time. Averages are nit relevant. For mine he is an admirable player, I have trouble understanding why he hasnā€™t become a staple. He is not a plodder as some suggest, he is a goer and not slow, but his most noticeable assets are
his aggression and tackling.

Depending on any left field player moves, he could be a good value pick up. As things stand, I would not be expending draft capital on fringe trades which may cost a bit of a premium. I believe he is a required player and would only be released if they add some pieces of their own via trade and need list space.

Pick 15 for Liam Ryan? Isn't he cooked?

I don't understand our interest in him at all, dude looks like he's checked out.
Pick 15 and significant salary, yes. Heā€™s had a couple of tough years with injury. Returned early this year and has played every game since. Watch the last Q of the eagles Roos match just gone and youā€™ll see he doesnā€™t need many touches to turn a game.

What is the deal with Harry Edwards?

Still unsigned, suppose he is waiting for the Barrass outcome and looking to milk $$$ out of it in contract negotiations. Heard tidbits that Vic clubs are chasing him, I'd expect that Carlton is one of them.

Would WC trade both Barrass and Edwards in same trade period? Noting Rotham may also be on the way out.

Would our future 2nd + Jack Carroll for Edwards and WC 4th be an appropraite deal?

Surely these two are history? Martin id absolutely keep. If he's fit he's in our best 22 without question. Even if its only 12 or 13 games a season.

I just donā€™t know!

With all this Russell stuff, there might be a lifeline extended because of poor management. If they were 30 I would get rid of them.

Surely these two are history? Martin id absolutely keep. If he's fit he's in our best 22 without question. Even if its only 12 or 13 games a season.

Heā€™s played 2 this year and canā€™t train.

Marchbank Cuningham Martin are all gone
Carroll with go to WCE
Owies is looking at options and we are okay with it
Austin wants picks and list spots

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m told

Last edited:
A lot of umm-ing and ahh-ing about players that arenā€™t even hurting our salary cap. We need to look at trading Williams. Heā€™s costing us heaps of money for little output. I empathise with what heā€™s been through and to get to where he is at right now is a testament to his determination but we canā€™t get too sentimental with list decisions. Trade him to whoever is willing to get him and pay 20-25% of his salary so we can open up some space. We need to make tough decisions now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of what you say is correct.
However, we are also unbalanced and slow. We get beaten by teams that kill us on the spread.

That's not to say that we can't win, but it is our major weakness, and the way we get beaten.
Only takes 2 or 3 players to correct.
Killed on the spread =

1. not winning the ball at the contest or not being close enough to an opponent to interrupt their chain and/or

2. repeatedly coughing the ball up through poor disposal or just dumb brain fades.....

When the latter happens, our players are inevitably ahead of the ball and simply too far away to get back and defend (the same for every team frankly).

Fix 2. and 1. isn't much of a problem. imo.

That said, I'd love Billy Wilson, for example, to get a game or two and tear it up!

The questions I've got in my mind are...

Could we have a serious crack at a flag over next few seasons if we got a good reliable KPD like Barass?

Or do we need to ramp up the midfield and f50 group as well?
Above all we need full buy-in from the playing group to the way we are going which is essentially what we had for the back end of 2023.

I just donā€™t know!

With all this Russell stuff, there might be a lifeline extended because of poor management. If they were 30 I would get rid of them.
Guess it all depends on what else is out there.

I'd like to keep Martin on negligible coin.

Only if medicos reckon they can 'fix' his calf issues...

Heā€™s played 2 this year and canā€™t train.

Marchbank Cuningham Martin are all gone
Carroll with go to WCE
Owies is looking at options and we are okay with it
Austin wants picks and list spots

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m told
List spots incredibly tight. What we NEED is likely six main list spots (minimum). Will have 3-4 rookie list available too.

1. Draft pick
2. Draft pick/Ben Campo
3. Ben Campo/Draft Pick
4. Lucas Campo/Draft Pick
5. Trade/Free Agent - Haynes? Reported, and I like.
6. Rookie promotion -Boyd

How do we get them?
1. Marchbank
2. Cuningham
3. Martin (hopefully token trade)
4. Owies (the dogs are barking - second to third round back in trade refer Schultz price Freo-Coll)
5. Carroll (trade to WCE being touted widely - third round back dont rule out second pick swap somehow)
6. Unless another left field comes up, move Fantasia or C.Durdin to rookie list. Neither likely to be poached in a delist/re draft scenario.

That is the most logical to me at this stage.

Probably leaves two or three rookie spots vacant factoring in Lord addition. Still uncertain if Duffy has to go on Rookie A list or can be put in Rookie B. If we canā€™t put him on Rookie B will mean canā€™t put other Irish on there. If the extension of eligible time on rookie list applies to B list as well as A if nit played ā€œxā€ games, it may make sense to keep Dom as an option for our thin tall defensive depth.

List spots incredibly tight. What we NEED is likely six main list spots (minimum). Will have 3-4 rookie list available too.

1. Draft pick
2. Draft pick/Ben Campo
3. Ben Campo/Draft Pick

How do we get them?
1. Marchbank
2. Cuningham
4. Owies (the dogs are barking - second to third round back in trade refer Schultz price Freo-Coll)
5. Carroll (trade to WCE being touted widely - third round back dont rule out second pick swap somehow)
6. Unless another left field comes up, move Fantasia or C.Durdin to rookie list. Neither likely to be poached in a delist/re draft scenario.

Probably leaves two or three rookie spots vacant factoring in Lord addition. Still uncertain if Duffy has to go on Rookie A list or can be put in Rookie B. If we canā€™t put him on Rookie B will mean canā€™t put other Irish on there. If the extension of eligible time on rookie list applies to B list as well as A if nit played ā€œxā€ games, it may make sense to keep Dom as an option for our thin tall defensive depth.
you wouldn't offer Pitto up?

1. Draft pick
2. Draft pick/Ben Campo
3. Ben Campo/Draft Pick

How do we get them?
1. Marchbank
2. Cuningham

Looks about right to me. I think Mirkov Akuei S.Durdin will go

I am sure we will take any deal for C.Durdin if one comes and maybe cut Fantasia
Iā€™d be happy to trade Pittonet as well. Young to but wonā€™t happen

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back