Lij/Lord

or...

Cripps
Walsh
Petracca
Cerra
Ross
Lij/Lord

I think its a reasonable question. I'd certainly hope we'd have moved on from players of Ross' ability with the natural development of Lord, Elijah, Ollie, Wilson etc next year but I certainly wouldn't be calling for blood if we signed Ross as a free depth pick up if it helped secure us Petracca using the picks and cap space Kennedy and Hewett created.
You really think that getting rid of Kennedy and Hewett would make one iota of difference in terms of getting Petracca? We would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for either. Kennedy is an unrestricted free agent having been delisted previously (afaik) and Hewett was reported to be on a 4 year deal at $400k per year. So you save maybe $650k and have to pay $200k - $250k for Ross. SO you are maybe $400K - $450K better off and maybe a couple of third rounders.

Peracca is allegedly on a minimum of $1.2 mill and a maximum of $1.7mill per year for the next five years. Even if he takes a fairly big haircut you'd be still a long, long way short. And risk rupturing the fabric of the team with two heart and soul tough players shown the door.

Clearly we would need some Melbourne Storm like accounting to fit Petracca under our salary cap as it currently stands. I appreciate your logic but taking on finished players like Seb Ross would be a no for me.

You really think that getting rid of Kennedy and Hewett would make one iota of difference in terms of getting Petracca? We would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for either. Kennedy is an unrestricted free agent having been delisted previously (afaik) and Hewett was reported to be on a 4 year deal at $400k per year. So you save maybe $650k and have to pay $200k - $250k for Ross. SO you are maybe $400K - $450K better off and maybe a couple of third rounders.

Peracca is allegedly on a minimum of $1.2 mill and a maximum of $1.7mill per year for the next five years. Even if he takes a fairly big haircut you'd be still a long, long way short. And risk rupturing the fabric of the team with two heart and soul tough players shown the door.

Clearly we would need some Melbourne Storm like accounting to fit Petracca under our salary cap as it currently stands. I appreciate your logic but taking on finished players like Seb Ross would be a no for me.
Look firstly, I don't think anything about the Seb Ross business and have said from the get go I don't think theres any chance we're getting Trac at the end of the year, but as the situation at Melbourne continues to spiral the chances of him forcing his way out continue to increase and supposedly we're one of the clubs he wants to get to... So I think discussion about possible trades/moves is pretty fair.

Hewett and Kennedy would get 2nd rounders. They are miles above players who have been traded for 3rd rounders previously (Excluding names like Acres which were looked at as insane trading from Freo from the get go). Kennedy would also be on far more than 200k. He signed while he was having a career best year under new management at the club and would likely be on just as much as Hewett is, so you'd be looking at closer to 8-900k cap space between the two of them.

Do I think freeing up 8-900k of cap space and 2 mid-late 2nd round picks would help get a player trying to force himself out of a rival Victorian club? Absolutely I do. We'd need to throw in some other things but it would definitely help if the club wants to pursue him.

Would I do it if I'm Nick Austin? I dont know... I'd need a hell of a lot more information - Where do the TDK and Weiters contracts re-signings sit? Is he going to cause issues amongst the playing group? is he going to be the same player when he returns?

I'm sure our list team is weighing up all of this and if they decide to make those moves then I'm all for it. I think Petracca is a top 5 player in the league when healthy and would compliment our stars to a tee.

As it sits currently 11 and if Iā€™m Melbourne Iā€™m assuming next years 1st is 18.

We would trade next years 1st for one of GCS current 1st round picks (they'll be looking to gain an extra 1st next year) and change this year (a mid range pick they wont use, but we can use for points).

Say 13.

Then we bundle up our second, whatever we get for Martin, and whatever we get for Owies (ballpark another second) for another 1st (around the 15 mark)

11, 12 and 15 isnt exactly a bad offer on the table for a player that desperately wants out.

We're effectively out of the draft next year, and all in this year though.

It's a risk I'd take.

I think youā€™re missing the point here, B Camp is currently rated around pick 30, as things stand we wonā€™t get to use this pick as it will be used to match.

By trading 31 and Owies for 22, we get ahead of the bid for Ben and bring in a highly rated kid.

I dont want a highly rated kid who's going to be in our best 22 in 3 years time at 21 (maybe).

I want an established gun who is going to be the difference over the next 3 years while Cripps is still playing.

We would trade next years 1st for one of GCS current 1st round picks (they'll be looking to gain an extra 1st next year) and change this year (a mid range pick they wont use, but we can use for points).

Say 13.

Then we bundle up our second, whatever we get for Martin, and whatever we get for Owies (ballpark another second) for another 1st (around the 15 mark)

11, 12 and 15 isnt exactly a bad offer on the table for a player that desperately wants out.

We're effectively out of the draft next year, and all in this year though.

It's a risk I'd take.
Also a strong argument to suggest we could get 3 quality young players with those picks and prelong our window.
The strategy you are advocating is highly risky based on new team coming in, if Petracca was 25 you could mount a strong case, but at his age, it will comeback to impact longer term & possibly slide back to the bottom tier pretty quickly.

Continuing to find players via the draft and free agency is a much more effective strategy & bringing some fresh players to replace the 4-5 players that we know are going to be injured every year is going to be more effective.

Also a strong argument to suggest we could get 3 quality young players with those picks

Go back and look at our 1st round picks from the prior 20 years. Ignore the number 1's.

Outside of Cripps in 2013, and the 2015 Draft it's grim reading.

SPS, Dow, Stocker, Boekhoest, Yarran, Watson, Menzel, Lucas, Russell.

While the window is open, I'd rather take the proven player that gets us closer to a flag in that time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This trade period sounds like its going to be an absolute sh*tshow if all the rumours are anything to go off of
It's actually annoying and distracting for the teams in finals. All the talk is about trades. It's garbage IMHO. We should be focusing on the finals.

Would this team win a flag?

Mcgovern Weitering Saad
Newman Aleer Docherty
Acres Cripps O.Hollands
Fogarty Mckay E.Hollands
Rosas Curnow Williams
Dekoning Petracca Walsh

Silvagni Cowan Cerra Boyd
No way ...impossible without owies :p

Just having fun perhaps but how would you get trac and keep all our stars?

Go back and look at our 1st round picks from the prior 20 years. Ignore the number 1's.

Outside of Cripps in 2013, and the 2015 Draft it's grim reading.

SPS, Dow, Stocker, Boekhoest, Yarran, Watson, Menzel, Lucas, Russell.

While the window is open, I'd rather take the proven player that gets us closer to a flag in that time.
l would back Austin & his team to find some players via the draft, pretty sure all players come via the draft, not sure the purpose of investing in a recruitment team if you are going to resort to the 80's model of recruiting by buying a premiership instead of building a team.

l don't see any superstars in the current Hawthorn team, there are many more eimportant factors than just having superstar players, we have enough top tier players, just need to improve some of the gaps.

Possibly, but with the introduction of trading picks for cap space, that might change

Hw do you think it could look in this case? If we were to offer 2 1st round picks and it was enough, i dont see us being in a position to offer another 2nd or 3rd to reduce the salary as that would be getting in to the territory of taking points off the table and the chance of bringing in a kid in the 2nd or 3rd round.

No way ...impossible without owies :p

Just having fun perhaps but how would you get trac and keep all our stars?
Trading non essential role players like Owies, Hewett/Kennedy and others and all the picks we can muster. Every day this Petracca fiasco goes on the less he's going to cost. The Dees are leaking defamatory stories about him, his team is leaking defamatory stories about them... He's gone.

At this point if any more Demons request trades they're going to be forced into going through another scorched earth rebuild. Petracca, ANB, Pickett, Lever, May... It's going nuclear down at Demonland.

Because Ross has been delisted so he would be free and on absolute minimum coin, Kennedy or Hewett are under contract so would hold some value in a trade and clear some cap space.

I'm not suggesting to do it btw... But its a perfectly reasonable idea. Offload Kennedy and Hewett for picks to help get Petracca and then bring in Ross as some extra depth... Wouldn't be the worst move I've seen suggested.
You talk depth but would get rid of Hewett or Kennedy please explain

Trading non essential role players like Owies, Hewett/Kennedy and others and all the picks we can muster. Every day this Petracca fiasco goes on the less he's going to cost. The Dees are leaking defamatory stories about him, his team is leaking defamatory stories about them... He's gone.

At this point if any more Demons request trades they're going to be forced into going through another scorched earth rebuild. Petracca, ANB, Pickett, Lever, May... It's going nuclear down at Demonland.
Yeah seems to be a lot going on and he may get to come at a reduced cost either as salary, draft picks or giving them players in return.

Not sure as to why we would get rid of Hewett or Kennedy to pick up a significantly worse (and older) player in Ross?

My personal view is that our midfield mix is unbalanced with too many players with similar qualities and limitations, it wouldnā€™t surprise me if one of the mids were to be asked to look for a better fit.

If that were to eventuate, then id look to see what DFA were available as depth to fill a need whilst others develop.

Even if we werenā€™t to trade any mids, a player like Ross would be a good addition to the VFL team and could be used as a break glass option if we suffered a lot of injuries.

I look at Jack Carrol for example, this is his 3rd year and he has played regularly this year due to injuries to others, he has been the next best mid in the VFL and it looks likely he will leave, that leaves the cupboard pretty bare in terms of depth and unless we bring in cover, us relying on a 1st year draftee to fill the void.

So adding senior players to the squad, who are looking to continue their careers, who are free and wouldnā€™t command much $$$$, its worth looking at.

You talk depth but would get rid of Hewett or Kennedy please explain
We have 1 too many midfielders in our best 22 already. Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy. When we're at full health 1 of these players is nearly always either - Forced to a flank, or forced to the VFL. We don't play all 5 on ball when they're all fit and healthy because theres not enough CBA's to go around and they are all very like for like players athletically.

If we found a way to get Petracca by trading 1-2 of them you then have a core 4 of Cripps, Walsh, Petracca, Cer/Hew/Ken and then fill in the rotations with players like Fog, Doch, Elijah etc. Or you add Lord or a Carroll if he doesn't go back to WA in as the extra mid rotation like he's been doing the last fortnight.

TDK
Cripps
Petracca
Walsh
Cerra/Hewett/Kennedy
Elijah

That's would be one of the most brutal midfields of all time if they were all fit and firing in 2025.

Hw do you think it could look in this case? If we were to offer 2 1st round picks and it was enough, i dont see us being in a position to offer another 2nd or 3rd to reduce the salary as that would be getting in to the territory of taking points off the table and the chance of bringing in a kid in the 2nd or 3rd round.

It would take a player going to the Demons

Only an example and other picks would shuffle

Port
In Pickett
Out Houston, 2nd, 3rd

Us
In Petracca, 2nd, 3rd, cap relief
Out Cerra, 2 x 1sts

Demons
In Houston, 2 x 1sts, + cap
Out Pickett, Petracca

Remove this Banner Ad