List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches from other teams have worked us out. Outside run & gut running in waves getting the ball quickly to their fowards is the plan to beat us. We are slow with our transition and our defence is our nemesis. We need more outside run. Wilson is coming along nicely but will take time. What about inquiring about Houston? Despite every Blues supporter knowing our defence deficiencies, I can't understand why our LM never identified this at last year's draft or free agency period. We are crying out for a decent 198—200cm KPD to assist Weitering.. News that Hawthorn are into both Barass AND Battle baffles me why we haven't made approaches to these two players. We need a competent kpd now,. If we take a kpd through the draft it's going to take several years before he shows anything. Thank you for putting up will my LM frustrations.
neither Barrass or Battle are in that height range though, both similar heights to Kemp and McGovern, although at least Barrass can play as a true KPD, rather than third tall.

I've thought about Petruccelle. We may be worried about his footskills and I don't know if he has a tank. He'd be fantastic for our turnover game. I'd do it ... would Voss?
Petrucelli is contracted until next session.
We won’t be offering up our first this year. It will be straight to the draft
People are wanting us to get speed in our midfield yet not much is available. I think Berry would be a handy run with player similar to Keys at Adelaide and Bedford at GWS. Would come cheap and we go to the draft and look to get speed with our first rounder.

Disagree on the stars, only have Cripps and Charlie.

TDK, not there yet (starting to show injury concerns)
H, love him but he’s no Kernahan
Weiters, inconsistent and injury concerns
Walsh, this is my biggest concern, injury is going to limit him as is playing out right in front of our eyes. Forwards with back issues can get away with it, midfielders last 5 games. He’s going at 75% and that might be the ceiling for him now.

On the delists, not sure we can delist Martin, Cunners and Marchy as the ‘back ups’ are no where near their quality and they’re not stars!
TDK isn't quite there yet which is why I said 'a half'.
H is a Coleman winning AA key forward. Weiters should have been an AA key back. Both undoubtedly stars.

As for Walsh, AA and Garry Ayers Medalist without playing in the GF.
And this year, how quickly people forget. Missed the first 4 games after his back injury, at Round 16 was 7th on the Coaches' Votes, polling in 9 of 11 games. He's clearly been carrying something since then, but his last 6 weeks under an injury cloud hardly change his star status.

We have to cut those 3 (plus more), cannot have players on the list who can't play (as in stay on the field).

Lack of leg speed has definitely hurt this teams ability to win a flag but with Cody and the two nga players coming in next year seems like we have a bit to be excited about

Our issues are so fixable, much easier to find a couple pressure players with speed on either ends than it is to find a Brownlow medalist and 4 gun key positions

I’ve been a bit disheartened by the last month but I think we needed it to address long term prospects

depends if you think we're in the window or not...

A kid taken at (say) 10 in the draft - it's a coin toss as to whether he'll make it./

That's what the data says.
Whilst we think we are in the window, l believe last year glossed over some glaring list weaknesses.
Yes another tall defender is important, but l would argue unless we change our mid field we are not in the mix, too many one paced midfielders that don't have the speed to defence & mid sized goal kicking forward.
By investing in a 29 Barass we are giving away at least our 1st pick & more, if he was 25 good argument but highly risky at that age and that does nothing to address other areas.

It seems evident they have identified Haynes as a short term option in this area.

Has ben slipped that far? Wasn't he in the top 15 mix for a stretch

I don’t think he was ever in the top 15 mix with actual draft watchers

I remember last year Pommy in Oz (who has his own show and is also on Blue Abroad) pointed out that Ben plays a position that is rarely taken in first round so it’s unlikely we would need to use our first round pick on him. But Pommy didn’t say that he would fall to after our second round pick too - which may end up happening - so he probably has fallen a bit from 20s to 30s.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confront reality-we have to move past these players
Owies not good enough
Kemp- try as a fwd or out. doesn't defend
Motlop- 1 year and you tackle or out.
O Hollands- 1 year and improve strength pace or out.
Martin-out
Marchbank-out
Cunningham-out
Cerra- chronic injury, i would put on trade table
Binns- not an afl footballer
Moir- doubtful 1 year to show something. Miles off it.
Docherty- its only a lap of honour
Newman- 1 more year max
Young- adds nothing.
Durdin- not good enough.

14 players probably need to be replaced before considering Cripps, Mcgovern, Saad, Williams are at the end.

18 players needing to be replaced is not list management

At pick 30 we would be taking a risk of losing it to gain BCampo.
A pick around 25 or less would be safer.

With the current F/S rules, we should be able to secure them both???
Probably. Lucas you may get for nothing. But you may need to trade a late future pick into this draft depending on when a Ben bid comes, although you have plenty of late picks to work with.

Hun
CARLTON CIRCLING ‘MISSING PIECE’ OF BACKLINE
Carlton is expected to strongly consider adding GWS Giants’ defender Nick Haynes to help fix the Blues’ defensive frailties for next season. And St Kilda could also come into the frame if it loses free agent Josh Battle to Hawthorn.
While the Saints remain confident of keeping Battle on a five-year deal, the gun defender is yet to put pen to paper.
Haynes, 32, is tipped to leave the Giants at season’s end for more opportunities back home in Victoria in 2025. And he would only be expected to cost a late draft pick in a trade and a moderate salary after coming off his bumper back-ended deal including a seven-figure salary this year. The Blues have struggled in defence this year and are looking at ways to beef-up their back line and ability to restrict the opposition for 2025. Haynes has been one of the game’s best intercepting backmen over his career and could provide a smart rebounding option for Carlton as the club attempts to stay in the premiership mix. He has struggled to break into the senior team at GWS this year, playing seven games this season.

Hopeless journalism to not know that Haynes is a Free Agent

Austin is list manager, it is not a government department. Why does no one hold him to account for anything?
He will be held to account but you don’t get players like Haynes and Berry unless the coach is wanting/asking for them so he should hold equal blame.
If they are the types Voss wants then that could be the bigger worry.

He will be held to account but you don’t get players like Haynes and Berry unless the coach is wanting/asking for them so he should hold equal blame.
If they are the types Voss wants then that could be the bigger worry.
What do you want Austin to do specifically? We want to keep our first two draft picks. Most likely trade Owies and Carroll. Who else should we be targeting that is available that won't blow the salary cap?

Ryan for Carroll
Haynes for nothing
Berry for Owies

I would love to get Harry Edwards however we may need to give up a future second rounder to get it done.
Campo twins plus pick 10 and 30.

Last edited:
What do you want Austin to do specifically? We want to keep our first two draft picks. Most likely trade Owies and Carroll. Who else should we be targeting that is available that won't blow the salary cap?

Ryan for Carroll
Haynes for nothing
Berry for Owies

I would love to get Harry Edwards however we may need to give up a future second rounder to get it done.
Campo twins plus pick 10 and 30.
It’s hard to know as I’ve got no idea how much salary cap room we have.
Haynes again it’s hard to know, does he want $200k or $500k I can’t have an opinion unless I know that. He isn’t a KPD though so I think we still need to chase one and if you find them then you only take Haynes on minimum dollars.

I’d be letting go of guys like Owies and Carrol and trying to replace them with players with quicker, more athletic traits.
I’d have our future second on the table for a trade and try and use our two draft picks before matching the Campo’s.
The problem is the players we are looking for are the sort of players teams don’t want to lose so they are either very expensive or players who are struggling.

For the right player/players I’d have all picks on the table even be willing to lose players next year. I don’t see that as being Barrass or haven’t heard a name yet, who’s available that I would be all in on though

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back