List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Haynes is not McGovern. I wouldn't want Haynes in the Best 22.

Should be a depth selection on rookie wages at most. Has been getting paid close to a $1m per year the last couple of years on a backended contract so money shouldn't be an issue for him.

Agreed, not the exact same players, but they play a similar roles

I'd be hunting for a decent, workman like KPD (or hopefully Young can find some confidence, doubtful though)and draft another KPD

If Haynes comes in, it covers the Gov role. I'd only consider a departure if we got something reasonable
I reckon Haynes is covering a completely broken Marchy, not Gov.

Haynes + a tall back to replace Durdin + another tall back should come in before we think of replacing Gov, which would need to be a 4th tall defender.

I reckon Haynes is covering a completely broken Marchy, not Gov.

Haynes + a tall back to replace Durdin + another tall back should come in before we think of replacing Gov, which would need to be a 4th tall defender.
Agreed, Haynes would replace Marchbank, and Gov can also play small

If the suggestion that Leek Aleer intends to see out his final contract year at GWS next year is accurate, and the ITK suggestions that we're "into Leek Aleer" is also accurate, then Haynes could well just be a bridging recruitment to see us through one season.

If Aleer ends up recommitting to GWS beyond 2025, there's also a few other KPD free agents (Ballard and Collins) next year who we could also be working on.

List Management is all about timing. You can't just conjure up the perfect player for your needs in any given year, sometimes you have to make do until the right player comes along.

3 of which were against traffic cones vs the Eagles. Clearly the club doesn't see him as a priority signing and I'm not too fussed either way. I'd gladly ship off Owies and Motlop, imo they are small forwards of a yesteryear.

Repeat sprints, skill with ball in hand, crumbing to KPF's and an ability to get the ball higher up the ground to deliver inside 50 and create for their teammates are what the new age small forwards are thriving on. Daniels, Hill, Cameron, Stengle, Moore etc. Owies just doesn't fit the bill of that.

Test the market, if there's some good bites then let him go and take the draft picks, if there's not then you offer him another contract and try to solve our small forward problems another way.
Agree on all of that, good post.

Giants have imo two of the very best small forwards, Daniels and Bedford. They have both been terrific over the last few

month's. Neither of them played against Bullies vs Dogs in Ballarat. Giants were just not the same team at all. I have

picked them (giants) to win the flag, the availability and form of these two guns will be pivotal.

Suspect we will try for a pick upgrade on the Owies trade.

Out: Owies, pick 31
In: Pick 22

I'd jump at getting Pick 22 for Owies. Whether we use it in the draft, to get more picks or for a good player there is so many options

Best option may be Owies & F3 for Pick 22 as we need picks this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McMahon for me is a no brainer if no one else pounces in the National Draft. Lemmey is a shot at generation next, but we donā€™t need to invest big in that space yet. TDK, JSOS and Kempy give us other options in that area.

McMahon has played back, albeit no rave reviews, so can be a break glass fill in. He is arguably the best key forward in the VFL so we would not want to lose him from our twos. Has plenty of potential physical development to come and would be a ready made option should we need to call on him for the AFL team.

No need to go to the draft for McMahon, heā€™s a DFA, only means that he will be on the senior list.
Wouod be a smart move

Owies for pick 22, North might as well disband the team.
After a very poor finish to the season. Think the roos will be desperate for some players to fill gaps. Just like they took

Fisher off of us last year. They only want cheapish players to add experience to their young list.

They are apparently into Membrey as well. Agree pick 22, would be a terrific outcome for us though.

If the suggestion that Leek Aleer intends to see out his final contract year at GWS next year is accurate, and the ITK suggestions that we're "into Leek Aleer" is also accurate, then Haynes could well just be a bridging recruitment to see us through one season.

If Aleer ends up recommitting to GWS beyond 2025, there's also a few other KPD free agents (Ballard and Collins) next year who we could also be working on.

List Management is all about timing. You can't just conjure up the perfect player for your needs in any given year, sometimes you have to make do until the right player comes along.
Question, is Aleer as good as Haynes now?
If he is, I don't understand why Haynes is needed at all seeing we have Young and others who could fill in if Aleer is injured.

Club would see Owies as valuable on and as a trade commodity
Totally agree....and at the end of the day you can't keep them all.

There's a reason him and Carroll haven't been re-signed. With Owies, his value would be the highest it's ever been, so it may be wise to cash in. Carroll slightly different cos he's a WA boy and may want to head back home to continue his career.

I also reckon there could be more trade requests forthcoming. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see Young and Pitto seeking a new home.

If he is, I don't understand why Haynes is needed at all seeing we have Young and others who could fill in if Aleer is injured.

It's nothing to do with Aleer being injured, but with him electing to stay at GWS for one more season, as has been suggested in the media (trade radio I think...?)

We also intend to cut Marchbank and Durdin and potentially Akuei, as well as the possibility that we utilise Kemp forward as well.

In that scenario, we have Young to fill in and then literally nothing. Maybe JSOS or Lemmey if we elect to swing them back, but one is a kid and the other is coming back from an ACL. Haynes gives us another option in the short term, hopefully we don't need him for more than 5-10 games max, he costs us nothing via trade, probably not much in salary, and if he transitions into some kind of coaching role it's a bonus.

Last edited:

IMO Haynes and Aleer are very different

Haynes is a medium tall with proven experience. He will cover McGovern and loss of Marchbank. Aleer is a young KPD that is still developing and not yet proven.

Last edited:
Moir will never play another game of VFL football.

Not sure. Been impressive and improved his fitness greatly but I reckon he will need another 2 pre seasons to be really up to speed. Would not suprise if he has a few up and down periods

If he can play 14-15 games at AFL level next I will be very happy

From 2026 is where I see him as a genuine lock best 22 player. However, if he steps up quicker next year I will be very happy

No we don't, not at the expense of losing Harry, anyhow it's all moot now as Harry isn't going anywhere.

It's far from moot. He wants out, the relationship looks pretty unsalvageable, and would prefer a 'big Victorian club'.

We have 2 x 1sts and 2 x 2nd round picks (this year and nexts), plus trade capital (Martin, Owies, Carroll, Pittonett) to get more points and picks in.

We have 2 x 1sts, and could pretty easily convert one of our 2nd rounders (and Owies, Martine, Caroll, Pitto etc) into another 1st rounder, for a grand total of 3 x 1sts.

For example:

1. We trade our F 1st to GCS for 13 and a 34. They'll want an extra 1st next year, and already have plenty this year.
2. We trade Owies for a second rounder (35 or so ballpark).
3. We trade Martin and a future 2nd to Freo for 27 and a future 3rd. This values him at a late 3rd round pick.
4. We trade 27, 31, 34, to Brisbane for 14 (gives them more points for Levi Ashcroft)

We're left with 11, 13, 14, 35, 62, 65, 69

We could drop those 3 x 1sts on the table, and leave it up to Melbourne what they want to do. They already have pick 5 and will get another 1st for Neale Bullen, potentially giving them 5 x 1st rounders in this draft to play with.

He's a proven matchwinner, top 10 AFL player, and Norm Smith medalist, and would improve our side significantly.

Josh Schache would be a good back up forward to take as a rookie.

I know there will be a lot of flack for this post.....

But....

Would be good to try and teach him the backline as well over summer...

Would get him very cheap $$$

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Has been trialed in defense at VFL level, no goodā€¦

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back