List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait, is this poll on which player we want to join Freo? Baker over Kozzie? You guys ok?
When the poll started I reckon it was Baker v McDonald and maybe Curnow for lols

a lot of Baker's votes would be from then

also Kozzy has more votes anyway, he is just included with Bolton (who is like 99% coming)

Then goes beast mode.

One of the kings may be available.
Would a King actually want to move to Sydney? all the talk when GC drafted theirs was he’d be home in Melbourne at the end of his first contract.

Edit: but yes, if they think their forward line is the weakest link, they’d need more draft capital than they currently have to bring in a contracted King.

He doesn’t look like a guy who’s ready to leave the Swans yet.
I don't think the way he's playing tells you anything. It would be the same if Andy was going to leave. You'd never know it from the on-field stuff. They are both unconditional with effort.

Herald Sun with the AFL Rich 100 today - just to aid with salary cap debates.

Darcy, Cox, Young, Ryan - $700-800k.
Jackson, Serong, Brayshaw - $800-900k.
Shai Bolton - $1 - 1.1mil, up to $1.2mil with triggers/bonuses.

For lols - Tom Lynch - $1.45-1.55mil

Lynch was a back ended deal. Well worth the cash.

This is all true.

I remember raising this on here a few months back. Everyone on here assured me he would sign for less $$ than he might be worth because he “loves the club”.

I guess we’ll find out soon.

For what it’s worth I don’t believe we should be paying AB any more than $1.1m a season maximum.

Also can you even begin to imagine what Caleb Serong will be offered in 2 years time before he comes OOC in end of 2027?!
It could easily be $2m a season by then from some smaller cashed up Vic clubs! 🤯

Last edited:
This is all true.

I remember raising this on here a few months back. Everyone on here assured me he would sign for less $$ than he might be worth because he “loves the club”.

I guess we’ll find out soon.

For what it’s worth I don’t believe we should be paying AB any more than $1.1m a season maximum.
He's worth more than Bolton.

Assuming that’s this year’s salary. When do the Amiss and Treacy new contracts come into play?

He's worth more than Bolton.
Would probably agree, though Bolton is on $1m according to the herald sun which seems about right and I doubt he’ll be paid much more to come across to us as he’s driving the trade himself for family reasons.

Haselbys point is that there are probably 4 or 5 players worth more than AB on the list longer term.
Serong
Young
Treacy

Then potentially Warner if he comes in.
Not so sure I agree with Hase on Pearce. He’s 30 next year and I reckon if he got a 2 year deal to take him from 31-33 yo, it need not be huge money. World argue Jordan Clark is worth more than Pearce and Luke Ryan too as a dual AA player.

If Amiss cuts lose and kicks 60 a season in the next couple of years he becomes a player that attracts massive offers too.

Jackson and Darcy and cox all getting $800 plus a season and not delivering are bigger concerns.

I think we will have to pay handsomely to keep Andy. Not buying this theory at all that he’s going to turn down millions of extra $$ over the life of a 6 or 7 year deal he will sign from free agency onwards, to take less and stay with us.

Several trade podcasts have covered this recently and it’s one of the bigger myths in the game that players in the likes of Geelong take massive pay cuts to stay there because “the just love the club and want to win a flag”.
It might be 40-50k per year less, not $350k per year less.

Anyway every club with good young players has a cap squeeze and we are no different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t that the whole point of offering extra picks to get Boltons salary down to that 800K mark our other good players are on?
If those salary figures are to be believed, that strategy makes a hell of a lot of sense.
I can't wait to have Bolton, it will be brilliant, but no way should he be our highest paid player

Number of players per club on the rich list:

GWS - 8 (Whitfield, Coniglio, Haynes, Greene, Taylor, Himmelberg, Kelly, Green)
Melbourne - 8 (Petracca, Oliver, Gawn, Lever, Viney, May, Pickett, Brayshaw)
Bulldogs - 7 (Bont, Naughton, Treloar, English, Daniel, Macrae, Dale)
Freo - 7 (Brayshaw, Serong, Jackson, Ryan, Young, Cox, Darcy)
Essendon (hilarious) - 7 (McKay, Merrett, Redman, Shiel, Parish, Wright, Gresham)
Carlton - 7 (Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, Walsh, McKay, Williams, De Koning)
West Coast - 7 (Kelly, Allen, Yeo, Barrass, Gaff, Darling, McGovern)
Collingwood - 6 (Moore, Daicos, De Goey, Daicos, Maynard, Crisp)
Gold Coast - 6 (King, Anderson, Lukosius, Miller, Rowell, Witts)
St Kilda - 6 (Steele, Hill, King, Sinclair, Wilkie, Marshall)
Richmond - 6 (Lynch, Martin, Bolton, Taranto, Hopper, Vlaustin)
Sydney - 5 (Grundy, Heeney, Mills, Parker, McCartin)
Brisbane - 5 (Neale, Cameron, Daniher, Andrews, McCluggage)
North - 4 (Larkey, Simpkin, Logue, LDU)
Port - 3 (Rozee, Wines, Butters)
Adelaide - 3 (Rankine, Laird, Dawson)
Geelong - 3 (Cameron, Stewart, Dangerfield)
Hawthorn - 2 (Sicily, Amon)

This supports what I have been saying about our salary cap being so tight because we are at breaking point for fitting in highly paid players. There's names that will be dropping off this list like Haynes, Brayshaw, Macrae, Shiel, Williams, many WC players. While we are only trying to add with Bolton, Pickett, Warner, maybe Treacy's new contract?

What struck me about the weekend was how even the winning teams were across the park. No passengers. Its the bottom 6 which often let you down in finals. I'm a little worried how we make this bottom 6 good enough when the top 10 is eating so much of the salary cap. GWS probably should have won, but the matches were won by teams in the bottom end when it comes to highly paid players.

It's conceivable the GF could be played between the bottom 2 sides on the list above. And Dangerfield and Amon are at 95 and 96 on the list.

Would probably agree, though Bolton is on $1m according to the herald sun which seems about right and I doubt he’ll be paid much more to come across to us as he’s driving the trade himself for family reasons.

Haselbys point is that there are probably 4 or 5 players worth more than AB on the list longer term.
Serong
Young
Treacy

Then potentially Warner if he comes in.
Not so sure I agree with Hase on Pearce. He’s 30 next year and I reckon if he got a 2 year deal to take him from 31-33 yo, it need not be huge money. World argue Jordan Clark is worth more than Pearce and Luke Ryan too as a dual AA player.

If Amiss cuts lose and kicks 60 a season in the next couple of years he becomes a player that attracts massive offers too.

Jackson and Darcy and cox all getting $800 plus a season and not delivering are bigger concerns.

I think we will have to pay handsomely to keep Andy. Not buying this theory at all that he’s going to turn down millions of extra $$ over the life of a 6 or 7 year deal he will sign from free agency onwards, to take less and stay with us.

Several trade podcasts have covered this recently and it’s one of the bigger myths in the game that players in the likes of Geelong take massive pay cuts to stay there because “the just love the club and want to win a flag”.
It might be 40-50k per year less, not $350k per year less.

Anyway every club with good young players has a cap squeeze and we are no different.
Agree with this. I do suspect that the lure of an inaugural Premiership is big for some of the players (I'd put Serong here for sure, possibly AB), and I wouldn't put it past them forgoing some good money ($100k-$150 p/a) to make that happen, plus the security of a longer deal of course - AB in particular would benefit if made Captain and this happened, off-field earnings would skyrocket.

Will be interesting to see how we handle this; ideally you set up a conveyor belt of development talent and walk out a star/good player every 2-3 years for picks to keep it going. Hard to do in the West though.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s all a guessing game isn’t it.

But also Darcy on 700k is a lot differnt story to Darcy on $1mil.

Last edited:
Number of players per club on the rich list:

GWS - 8 (Whitfield, Coniglio, Haynes, Greene, Taylor, Himmelberg, Kelly, Green)
Melbourne - 8 (Petracca, Oliver, Gawn, Lever, Viney, May, Pickett, Brayshaw)
Bulldogs - 7 (Bont, Naughton, Treloar, English, Daniel, Macrae, Dale)
Freo - 7 (Brayshaw, Serong, Jackson, Ryan, Young, Cox, Darcy)
Essendon (hilarious) - 7 (McKay, Merrett, Redman, Shiel, Parish, Wright, Gresham)
Carlton - 7 (Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, Walsh, McKay, Williams, De Koning)
West Coast - 7 (Kelly, Allen, Yeo, Barrass, Gaff, Darling, McGovern)
Collingwood - 6 (Moore, Daicos, De Goey, Daicos, Maynard, Crisp)
Gold Coast - 6 (King, Anderson, Lukosius, Miller, Rowell, Witts)
St Kilda - 6 (Steele, Hill, King, Sinclair, Wilkie, Marshall)
Richmond - 6 (Lynch, Martin, Bolton, Taranto, Hopper, Vlaustin)
Sydney - 5 (Grundy, Heeney, Mills, Parker, McCartin)
Brisbane - 5 (Neale, Cameron, Daniher, Andrews, McCluggage)
North - 4 (Larkey, Simpkin, Logue, LDU)
Port - 3 (Rozee, Wines, Butters)
Adelaide - 3 (Rankine, Laird, Dawson)
Geelong - 3 (Cameron, Stewart, Dangerfield)
Hawthorn - 2 (Sicily, Amon)

This supports what I have been saying about our salary cap being so tight because we are at breaking point for fitting in highly paid players. There's names that will be dropping off this list like Haynes, Brayshaw, Macrae, Shiel, Williams, many WC players. While we are only trying to add with Bolton, Pickett, Warner, maybe Treacy's new contract?

What struck me about the weekend was how even the winning teams were across the park. No passengers. Its the bottom 6 which often let you down in finals. I'm a little worried how we make this bottom 6 good enough when the top 10 is eating so much of the salary cap. GWS probably should have won, but the matches were won by teams in the bottom end when it comes to highly paid players.

It's conceivable the GF could be played between the bottom 2 sides on the list above. And Dangerfield and Amon are at 95 and 96 on the list.
Very interesting list. Good work putting it together.

Got to say I find it hard to believe certain players around the league are not in this list.
Off the top of my head, the following players have GOT to be earning more than $700k?

Josh Dunkley
Errol Gulden
Chad Warner
Dan Houston
Cam Guthrie (won a couple of AA as an inside mid at his peak)
Jack Henry
Cam Rayner
Max Holmes
Will Day (should be earning the same money as Hayden Young, same draft, same career trajectory)
Eric Hipwood (remember the big 7 year deal??)
Jarrod Berry (was a restricted free agent so was earning a lot of $$)

I do agree it’s a concern that we have to overpay some players but I wonder if anyone is on a million a season at our club this year still?

Very interesting list. Good work putting it together.

Got to say I find it hard to believe certain players around the league are not in this list.
Off the top of my head, the following players have GOT to be earning more than $700k?

Josh Dunkley
Errol Gulden
Chad Warner
Dan Houston
Cam Guthrie (won a couple of AA as an inside mid at his peak)
Jack Henry
Cam Rayner
Max Holmes
Will Day (should be earning the same money as Hayden Young, same draft, same career trajectory)
Eric Hipwood (remember the big 7 year deal??)
Jarrod Berry (was a restricted free agent so was earning a lot of $$)

I do agree it’s a concern that we have to overpay some players but I wonder if anyone is on a million a season at our club this year still?
Would be earnings just for this year. Guys like Warner and Gulden were playing on contracts they signed while they were a lot younger and less experienced. No way they'd be earning 700k when those contracts were agreed to. Honestly surprised Young is there though.

The top 10. One thing in our favour is we don't have any of these super highly paid players on 1 million plus. So maybe it leaves us room for more in the 700-800k range.

1. TOM LYNCH
RICHMOND, 31, Forward
$1,450,000-$1,550,000

Like Tom Boyd at the Dogs, Lynch’s big salary will be worth it forever given the flags he helped accumulate. He is due as much as $1.5 million in 2024 and 2025 in a hugely back-ended contract. It sounds obscene but remember he came across and was on as little as $500,000 in his early years, with the money delayed at the club’s wishes.

2 BEN MCKAY
ESSENDON, 26, Defender
$1,300,000-$1,400,000

Essendon pipped Hawthorn in the race for McKay last year with a heavily front-ended deal which tops $1 million in each of his first two years. On average, he will make about $800,000 a season across the course of the six-year contract. His form in the first half of the year was excellent, but it dropped off with the team’s form after that.

3 DUSTIN MARTIN
RICHMOND, 33, Midfielder/Forward
$1,250,000-$1,350,000

Martin's seven-year deal finishes up this year and while it was over $8 million in total it was the best bang-for-buck deal in footy. What a legend. He will be sorely missed.

4 CHRISTIAN PETRACCA
MELBOURNE, 28, Midfielder/Forward
$1,200,000-$1,300,000

The hefty pay packet is one of the main reasons why Petracca's attempts to move elsewhere failed. The star midfielder is signed until 2029 and for now has committed to at least try and sort things out for next season.

5 SHAI BOLTON
RICHMOND, 25, Midfielder/Forward
$1,000,000-$1,100,000

Bolton is in the first year of a long-term contract that could pay him as much as $1.2 million if he hits performance triggers but has now asked for a trade to the west. He would earn a very similar wage at his new club but might get a fresh five or six-year deal.

6 CLAYTON OLIVER
MELBOURNE, 27, Midfielder
$1,000,000-$1,100,000

Not exactly the way the Demons were hoping the first year of Oliver's seven-year $7 million deal would go. The hefty price tag probably means they have no choice but to stick with the troubled midfielder.

7 MARCUS BONTEMPELLI
WESTERN BULLDOGS, 28, Midfielder
$1,000,000-$1,100,000

The brilliant Bontempelli could have held his club over a barrel but like his onfield ways he shows class and grace to save some cap space for the rest of the list. He is in footy’s top bracket of earners and so he should be.

8 BRODIE GRUNDY
SYDNEY, 30, Ruckman
$1,000,000-$1,100,000

Grundy looks to have found a home in Sydney, and has been well compensated thanks to the big chunk of his salary still being paid by Collingwood. The Swans are covering Melbourne’s portion, but won’t mind given the big impact he has had on transforming their midfield.

9 TIM KELLY
WEST COAST, 30, Midfielder
$1,000,000-$1,100,000

Kelly signed a six year deal worth $5 million when he joined the Eagles from Geelong - averaging out to a tick under $850,000 a year but quirks in the contract have meant he has been a million dollar player in each of the last two years and West Coast’s highest paid player in that time. He fully justified the price tag with a stellar 2023. Has been very solid this year though not at the same level as last year. The contract ends at the end of 2025.

10 PATRICK CRIPPS
CARLTON, 29, Midfielder
$1,000,000-$1,100,000

Carlton’s highest paid player - and for good reason. He might add a second Brownlow Medal in a few weeks, which could push this 2024 figure even higher in terms of bonuses. The 29-year-old signed a six-year deal in 2021 which runs through ntil the end of 2027. He is actually getting better as a player as he chases that elusive premiership. Worth every cent and then some more!

11 ISAAC HEENEY
SYDNEY, 28, Midfield/Forward
$1,000,000-$1,100,000

Heeney has been Sydney’s best player in 2024 and well and truly earned his place as the club’s highest-paid player. He’s a local boy, from their Academy and would have gone close to the Brownlow. A premiership would be the perfect cap off to his All-Australian year.

12 JEREMY CAMERON
GEELONG, 31, Forward
$950,000-$1,100,000

The enigmatic forward finished second in the Coleman Medal and could win a final or two by himself in September. Next year is the last of his huge five-year contract and he wants to go on beyond 2025.

13 DARCY MOORE
COLLINGWOOD, 28, Defender
$950,000-$1,050,000

The Collingwood skipper’s form slump in 2024 in part mirrored his team’s patchy form throughout a difficult premiership defence. Moore, 28, has four more years to run on his current deal. Won a second All-Australian in a flag-winning 2023 season, but must hit back next season. A big summer looms as the Magpies look to provide him with more assistance, given Nathan Murphy’s forced retirement impacted on him.

14 AARON NAUGHTON
WESTERN BULLDOGS, 24, Forward
$950,000-$1,050,000

Naughton signed an eight year deal late last year which kicks in for 2025 but he’s in the final year of a lucrative deal that paid him just on $1 million this year and even more in coming seasons given rival 10-year offers. Worth every penny given his marking power even if only 32 goals in 19 games leading into finals.

15 BEN KING
GOLD COAST, 24, Forward
$950,000-$1,050,000

King is in the final year of his old contract and will be paid handsomely for his goalkicking feats, in the $900,000 to $1 million bracket before a new and more lucrative contract kicks in for 2025. After 55.26 he certainly justified those figures, having bounced back strongly from a 2022 knee reconstruction.

16 NICK LARKEY
NORTH MELBOURNE, 26, Forward
$950,000-$1,050,000

North Melbourne has mountains of excess salary cap room available, which has provided the Kangaroos with the chance to front-end a few of their more lucrative deals. It’s good business. Larkey was on around $450,000 last year, but a new deal signed midway through last year has provided flexibility in terms of shuffling money about. He remains a huge part of the club’s future, with a sliding deal until the end of 2029.

17 LACHIE WHITFIELD
GWS GIANTS, 30, Defender
$900,000-$1,000,000

Returned to All-Australian form this year with some niggling injuries seemingly in the past. He’s on a big deal at GWS and has been playing like it, and will be integral to the club’s hope of an inaugural premiership.

18 ADAM TRELOAR
WESTERN BULLDOGS, 31, Midfielder
$900,000-$1,000,000

Treloar has only one more year to run on a five-year $4.5 million deal that has been an exceptional contract for the Dogs given his value. The Pies have paid about $1.5 million of that contract so it’s even better value. He has some of the CBA uptick in his salary so he’s at $900,000 to $1 million in 2024.

19 STEPHEN CONIGLIO
GWS GIANTS, 30, Midfielder
$900,000-$1,000,000

Another senior Giant on a big deal, Coniglio hasn’t quite reached his form from 2023 as a result of various shoulder injuries. Will still play an integral role in their midfield in September and in the years to come.

20 CONNOR ROZEE
PORT ADELAIDE, 24, Midfielder
$900,000-$1,000,000

Signed a massive eight-year contract and became captain of the Power in December as Port tied down one of its biggest names. He also has a trigger for a ninth season through to 2033.

I suppose if those numbers are to be believed then the difference with us having 7 well played players is they are all in the bottom range with no massive contracts though that might change with the cap raise.

Does make it hard to believe we can fit even $2m of cap with Bolton and Warner. Also, **** Geelong, hope GWS come through and wipe them out in the prelim

Geelong have obtained value from mature age players like Mannagh coming in on minimum chips and contributing immediately.
I reckon you might see us take at least one mature age player late in the draft to be a genuine B22 option while still being paid peanuts.
If we have any cap squeeze the likes of JOM and Aish and Brodie should be the first to be pushed out the door

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back