List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Well well well šŸ’…
Oh btw, Pickett still wants to come home šŸ˜‰
wedding crashers comedy GIF

WA MOVE ON THE CARDS FOR SUPERSTAR SWAN

Sydney Swans superstar Chad Warner could be on his way back to Western Australia as the rumour mill goes into overdrive following his sideā€™s embarrassing loss to the Lions on grand final day.

Warner remains contracted until the end of 2025 but both West Australian clubs believe Warner will request a trade back to his home state by the end of next year, according to the Herald Sunā€™s Jon Ralph.

ā€œWA-based clubs are of the belief it is his intention to return home at the end of next year. Heā€™s stubborn enough to believe he can get through a whole season of a contract impasse. They believe itā€™s not an ambit claim, itā€™s not a contract negotiation,ā€ Ralph told Fox Footyā€™s On the Couch.

ā€œHe and his partner, whoā€™s also from Perth, just want to go home. They even believe that if Sydney had won this game, he might have put in a trade request. A really small chance, but itā€™s absolutely zero now,ā€ Ralph continued.

ā€œThis is a 12-month saga. Itā€™s not going to be easy for this club to negotiate through. Itā€™s another distraction this football club doesnā€™t need coming off this loss.ā€

Collingwood champion Nathan Buckley wondered whether the Swans would get aggressive at the trade table as they seek answers after a second embarrassing grand final defeat in three years.

ā€œI wonder how aggressive and proactive Sydney need to be given the performance in two of the last three years of some of these players,ā€ Buckley said.

Warner had just 21 disposals and a goal in the ten-goal loss to the Lions in the grand final but was one of the Swansā€™ best performers in 2024.

Reckon if you were Sydney 9 + F1 (~14) is probably about the same as 3 value wise. And clearly better value than our 2025 + 2026 firsts. I can't see them opting to trade this year though after making the GF. We'll probably throw in a 2nd or something ala Jackson but I think realistically for Bolton and Warner I'd be ok trading out of 2 drafts.

Only issue is if WCE seriously thinks about 3+ which I'm not sure they really can do with Baker unless they want to substantially trade out of 2 drafts at the start of a rebuild. I know Warner is young but they need to start totally from scratch even with KPPs.

The other angle from WCE is do they go hell for leather if they think it's the only way to keep Harley? I think it's clearly the wrong choice but they might take it.

Even if the door is slightly ajar we should kick it in.

While he didn't have a great GF he had a phenomenal year.

He just makes things happen.

If we can get Warner and either Bolton or Pickett we would be a serious contender.

We will never be in a better position to make a play for top end talent.

Honestly not sure why people are concerned with getting something back for a 9,16 deal in terms of picks.

Iā€™m with Alfonz on this I dont think enough here are appreciative of how important salary space moving fwd for this club will be

Yeah I get it,deep draft and all and we all love shiny new toys etc but seriously we should 100% be pushing for salary involved as the ā€œextraā€ instead of some busted arse pick in the 40s-

it serves us zero gain for the next 3 years (and maybe never)but an extra 200k paid by Richmond is an absolute and could very well mean the difference between chad/no chad or Pickett or losing another b22
I 100% agree. I would be one of he few but I'd offer 9, 16 and 27 for Bolton f i involved a significant amount of his wage is paid like 40%.

Bolton, Warner and Pickett.

This does make us better but it also means Serong probably never wins a Brownlow Medal.
I can live with that.

Who needs a brownlow when we have a premiership team!!

For me Warner > Bolton > Kozzie prioritise in that order.

Iā€™m confused as to the Bolton priority this year. Why not just go hard at Warner whos out of contract next year and Sydney open to gain most value this year. Why not leave Bolton who is contacted for 4 more years for 2025. All the news is leave Warner for 2025 ? Why?

Because Sydney will simply refuse to trade Warner while trying to win a flag. While Richmond are definitely going to trade Bolton, despite their posturing.

Warner would also be 50/50 for WC v Freo and he'd have to take less $$$ to play for us, whereas Bolton is 100% Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a fantasy world do we have the currency to get all 3 if we give up everything we have including future picks?

Nope.

Theyā€™re all out of contract and all guns.

Bolton - 9&16
Chad - 10,27 and F1

Might get some scraps back in both deals. Nothing left for Pickett.

Weā€™d have to get creative.

Maybe Bolton - 9&16
Pickett - 10&F1
Chad - Cox and 27

Nope.

Theyā€™re all out of contract and all guns.

Bolton - 9&16
Chad - 10,27 and F1

Might get some scraps back in both deals. Nothing left for Pickett.

Weā€™d have to get creative.

Maybe Bolton - 9&16
Pickett - 10&F1
Chad - Cox and 27

I wonder whether we could leverage Knobel and Erasmus here somehowā€¦

In a fantasy world do we have the currency to get all 3 if we give up everything we have including future picks?

Not this year. Has to be a 2 year plan. Another reason why Chad has to wait.

Our four 2024/2025 firsts for Bolton + Pickett this year.

Then 2026 and 2027 firsts for Warner next year. If the AFL stick to their current rules then it should be allowed.

How we get Robinson becomes difficult though if he maintains his top 3 status. But can't really worry about that now, as he might drop down the rankings over the next 2 years.

I don't think we could fit all 3 of them into the salary cap, so we would have to offload Cox/Darcy, and that should acquire more 1st round draft capital.

I wonder whether we could leverage Knobel and Erasmus here somehowā€¦

Not for those guys.

Swans would want a ready made KPD.

Melbourne may want Switta to ease some of the price.

But we canā€™t afford all 3 without giving up a decent player.

Erasmus and Knobel wouldnā€™t get you pick 40

Do we have the salary cap to even get 2 of these players? I get the impression we play close to top dollar on most contracts, we donĀ“t have the track record for players to take unders for success.

Geelong does it by getting veterans on minimum contact hours or recycling players like Stengle.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back