List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, and then Pearce or Cox will get injured and they will come in.

When it comes to trade and draft season barring small forwards and possibly a winger what do you think we need Lach ?

2 quality small and medium forwards.
Baker and Bolton preferably. One more from the draft or a winger.
If there is a line breaking mid in the mix I’d take that too.
Warner preferably

Another half back maybe.

I’m of the opinion we’re actually quite well balanced and need to clear some of the 20-30 range players.

Fyfe, Walters, O’Meara, Aish, Banfield, Emmet, Hughes, Corbett, Worner, Williams, Stanley, Brodie and most likely Kuek and Jones
There’s also a good chance Delean won’t make it.
All need to go over the next two years.

I have some hopes for Stanley. He does classy things. Just needs a run at it
None of them are key backs.

Murphy may not make it, but it’s not a priority.

I really hope we don’t give up our magic beans for Bolton/Baker. There have been chats about our performances being on par with the Connolly era, but I’m concerned our trading could go the same way.

2004 Freo finish 9th, convinced that they can make the next step via the trade table they blow 3 picks (inc 1st rounder) on a 24yo Josh Carr. Spoiler alert - he didn’t bring the promised land with him. We were underachieving by his 3rd season, on the skids by his 4th and he was back to Port after that.

We have gaps, and the draft gives the opportunity to fill them. We don’t need a first year player to carry the team - just contribute. Someone like a Weightman (Berry) is way more attractive to me on a risk basis.

We’re talking to Riley Garcia.
Don’t mind Riley, unfortunately he’s still more mid than forward but has been kicking quite a few goals as small fwd in bulldogs VFL team.
Would be a true money ball option .

Just can’t help but feel it’s more of a plan B scenario tho , like if bolten and or baker in particular (maybe we’ve found out he’s chosen WC?) somehow dont eventuate.

3 of those are underdeveloped and unproven. McDonald is unproven to us as well let's remember. A couple of decent seasons at the Dees and then delisted, delisted by Carlton. Cox and Ryan aren't KPD. They are intercepts defenders.

McDonald has played the better part of 100 AFL games more than Draper and Davies.

That's why he was playing ahead of them both.

Warner preferably

Another half back maybe.

I’m of the opinion we’re actually quite well balanced and need to clear some of the 20-30 range players.

Fyfe, Walters, O’Meara, Aish, Banfield, Emmet, Hughes, Corbett, Worner, Williams, Stanley, Brodie and most likely Kuek and Jones

For me, I've been watching us trade players in at the cost of high draft picks since the beginning and I'm now at a point where I want us to just go to the draft. If we are building lets build. So when it comes to Bolton and Baker I'm not convinced.

We've in my mind, had some of the best small forwards in our history through late draft picks - Medhurst, Ballantyne, Sonny, Shooter etc and are pretty good in general with late picks Neale, Fyfe, Ryan.

Small forwards are a definite and medium we Sturt and I would suggest Frederick is more suited to that role.

We are balanced but not sure we need to clean house to that extent. Aish, Kuek, Emmett good depth.

Brodie for me is our line breaking midfielder. I think we have given up on him to quickly.

JOM was a bizarre trade at the time, but is capable of nice things. Too bad he is cooked.

So I agree but I think we need to go to the draft.

McDonald has played the better part of 100 AFL games more than Draper and Davies.

That's why he was playing ahead of them both.

Except he wasn't because he too was injured. Bit like his time at Melbourne and Carlton. Great having a depth KPD but not one who is notoriously injury prone. And it goes back to why I think we need a spare, all of our KPD's are injury prone.

Warner preferably

Another half back maybe.

Looking at this bolded group in particular (and probably adding Wagner to it) - guys who can be fine enough role players but aren't young so won't get better. By "fine enough role players" I mean guys who are on average in the bottom 6-8 of our starting lineup, but are capable of having individual games where they're in the top 6-8 and also games where they're liabilities.

They add value: you can't get rid of all of them, coz then at that point your depth really is shot. But you can't keep all of them either, coz ideally you want to be using the great majority of your list spots on bona fide starters or youngsters who you think can be bona fide starters. The problem with some of those names you mention is that there's too many of them, and too many of them have or for the longest time had guaranteed starting roles. In isolation, guys like Aish, Banfield, JOM...they have a purpose.

2 years feels on the optimistic side to go "we don't need any of them to make our depth at least acceptable", but is somewhat achievable with our recruiting. More likely though, we get rid of some of those names (Fyfe and Walters to retirement, Brodie you'd think is gone this year) and keep 1-2 of them around.

For me, I've been watching us trade players in at the cost of high draft picks since the beginning and I'm now at a point where I want us to just go to the draft. If we are building lets build. So when it comes to Bolton and Baker I'm not convinced.

We've in my mind, had some of the best small forwards in our history through late draft picks - Medhurst, Ballantyne, Sonny, Shooter etc and are pretty good in general with late picks Neale, Fyfe, Ryan.

Small forwards are a definite and medium we Sturt and I would suggest Frederick is more suited to that role.

We are balanced but not sure we need to clean house to that extent. Aish, Kuek, Emmett good depth.

Brodie for me is our line breaking midfielder. I think we have given up on him to quickly.

JOM was a bizarre trade at the time, but is capable of nice things. Too bad he is cooked.

So I agree but I think we need to go to the draft.

We have 3 firsts and a second this year.
Next year we have a full deck. Getting Baker and Bolton does not exclude us from this draft.

IMO we can get them with two firsts and pick 26 or whatever it is.
That leaves us with another first to use at the draft.

If Warner comes next year we will have a full deck of 2025 picks and 2026 picks to play with.

You want draft picks to become what Baker, Bolton and Warner ARE, but you don’t know.

And Tarrant is not even the same discussion. The idiots then traded a pick which became Jack Reiwoldt and Paul Medhurst for a head case, flaky forward who did not want to play here.

I’m really comfortable in saying that Baker, Bolton and Warner has us firmly wedged in the top 4 and pushing for multiple premierships. We’re that close…and I’m tired of waiting.
And we still have NGA’s and we can still draft

Looking at this bolded group in particular (and probably adding Wagner to it) - guys who can be fine enough role players but aren't young so won't get better. By "fine enough role players" I mean guys who are on average in the bottom 6-8 of our starting lineup, but are capable of having individual games where they're in the top 6-8 and also games where they're liabilities.

They add value: you can't get rid of all of them, coz then at that point your depth really is shot. But you can't keep all of them either, coz ideally you want to be using the great majority of your list spots on bona fide starters or youngsters who you think can be bona fide starters. The problem with some of those names you mention is that there's too many of them, and too many of them have or for the longest time had guaranteed starting roles. In isolation, guys like Aish, Banfield, JOM...they have a purpose.

2 years feels on the optimistic side to go "we don't need any of them to make our depth at least acceptable", but is somewhat achievable with our recruiting. More likely though, we get rid of some of those names (Fyfe and Walters to retirement, Brodie you'd think is gone this year) and keep 1-2 of them around.

This is true. There’ll be some retired, some delisted, some traded. And there may be a couple, like O’Meara, who survive because their contract is still running. He’s got two years left.
Stanley may improve next year.

Conversely, Walters and Fyfe may decide to retire at the end of this year, even though they have a contract.
In some ways I hope they do, because it will make Bolton and Baker transition more easy, and/or give opportunity to the likes of Erasmus and Cooper Simpson

Pearce
Cox
McDonald
Draper
Davies
Muphy

We don’t need any more kpb yet
There's a significant chance we will find ourselves down at bare minimum 2 of the first 3 simultaneously for a significant part of the season next year as well.

All 3 have been injury prone their whole careers.

McDonald was a useless signing. No point recruiting depth if they are injury prone.

Next year we have a full deck. Getting Baker and Bolton does not exclude us from this draft.

If Warner comes next year we will have a full deck of 2025 picks and 2026 picks to play with.

You want draft picks to become what Baker, Bolton and Warner ARE, but you don’t know.

And Tarrant is not even the same discussion. The idiots then traded a pick which became Jack Reiwoldt and Paul Medhurst for a head case, flaky forward who did not want to play here.

I’m really comfortable in saying that Baker, Bolton and Warner has us firmly wedged in the top 4 and pushing for multiple premierships. We’re that close…and I’m tired of waiting.

Tarrant, Croad (although we got McPharlin), Bell (cost a lot for someone we delisted), Headland (benefited from a strong midfield at Brissy), Farmer etc and while some were serviceable was the draft cost worth it?

If the cost isn't heavy then great but don't want us paying over the odds in what could be a strong draft.

And trust me, tired of waiting as well. Before Freo entered I supported Geelong. Always the bridesmaid...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a significant chance we will find ourselves down at bare minimum 2 of the first 3 simultaneously for a significant part of the season next year as well.

All 3 have been injury prone their whole careers.

McDonald was a useless signing. No point recruiting depth if they are injury prone.

He’s hurt his knee by a bad landing not a soft tissue injury.

This is an over reaction

I am now at the point where I want Sean Darcy, Josh Treacy, Alex Pearce all named to play Sunday and if the Dogs beat GWS they are all pulled out and sent for any surgery needed instead of playing.

Give it one big last swing if we are a chance of finals, but if not, no risks, end their seasons now and start the recovery process as soon as possible. Onto 2025.

If We were still picking a State of Origin side ,Bolton Baker And Warner would be all playing in the W.A team, There would be about 15 players in Freos top 20 i would be hesitant to pick.They will add heaps to this side .We aren't tough enough yet.

Missing finals should be a real jolt to the club. It's really unacceptable and the club will be feeling the choker tag this week.

Anyone that doesn't have a contract will be nervous. However, If we cut Sturt, I expect Cockburn will be visited by one of those Ukrainian FPV bombs.

If Switta requests a trade which he is rumoured to be doing, then I think we will trade him. I think Richmond will ask for 3 first round draft picks for Bolton, and we will do it.

If Switta requests a trade which he is rumoured to be doing, then I think we will trade him. I think Richmond will ask for 3 first round draft picks for Bolton, and we will do it.

If that happens and he wants Richmond, it would make life much easier because his two years of contract will muddy the waters of a trade. Freo will value him very highly.

But Switta for Bolton is a massive upgrade. Switta for Baker is not a big difference in that mid/fwd role.

Except he wasn't because he too was injured. Bit like his time at Melbourne and Carlton. Great having a depth KPD but not one who is notoriously injury prone. And it goes back to why I think we need a spare, all of our KPD's are injury prone.

We have FOUR spare KPDs outside our best 22 and we only play TWO of them.

May as well recruit more rucks.

If that happens and he wants Richmond, it would make life much easier because his two years of contract will muddy the waters of a trade. Freo will value him very highly.

But Switta for Bolton is a massive upgrade. Switta for Baker is not a big difference in that mid/fwd role.

He'll probably request a trade to Carlton.

Missing finals should be a real jolt to the club. It's really unacceptable and the club will be feeling the choker tag this week.

Anyone that doesn't have a contract will be nervous. However, If we cut Sturt, I expect Cockburn will be visited by one of those Ukrainian FPV bombs.

Where have rumors' of the Switta trade come from? I've only heard a suggestion of a trade for him

The Cerra trade was for Carlton’s pick 6.
Out first and second gets Bolton.
What did we pay for Hogan?
Two first rounders and you sell the farm.
You want a flag? Selling everything for one player the only thing you’ll win is comedy and ridicule.
Hey what if we get Jackson? That’s the missing piece and what did he cost😜

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back