List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We only need one first round pick in next years draft to be in the Warner conversation.

It’s a bit like this year. We have a ridiculous amount of R1 picks and therefore Bolton is going to cost a ridiculous price.

If we only had pick 10 this year, we’d still get Bolton. For pick 10. Richmond would just
have to accept less and suck it up.

Geelong are going to get smith on the cheap because they only have pick 15.
If they had pick 8 and pick 15, he would cost both of them most likely.

You can’t pay what you don’t have.

Use the picks this year.
It's different if the player is contracted like Bolton. Richmond don't have to accept an offer if they see more value in keeping Bolton. Just like GWS didn't trade McCarthy to us the first time, or Gibbs to Adelaide etc.

Also if Smith is worth 8 & 15, then the cats should be trading 15 and their future first.

The biggest concern I have with Cox’s contract is what we do with Josh Draper. The kid playing as a 2nd or 3rd tall has the potential to be really special.

Ryan isn’t going anywhere either so it really leaves Cox and maybe the potential of playing all three KPDs with Ryan. I think Draper is athletic enough and has good enough skills it could almost work. Let’s not for one second think he could replace a genuinely good rebound defender though.
For me draper has the highest ceiling of the whole lot of them and just has to play AFL.
Josh is in that “never play another game at Peel again” bracket. He’s that good.

It’s funny I think he’s one of the most underrated players we have by our own fans.

I’ve no strong feelings on Cox, he’s a fine AFL player but draper has a much higher ceiling

There is a strong argument McGovern is one of the best key defenders of all time. 5 AA awards is in Scarlett/SOS areas in terms of ranking.

As for Cox? Well Josh Draper is coming hard for his position and is a much better player at his age than Cox was.
The sheer amount of recency bias in these statements. Not just yours but the others around Cox is laughable. He is brilliant when fit and firing and did not have the chance to be that this year.

We should walk away from Tuggas and turn around and offer 9 and 16 to Melbourne for Kosi
I don’t think we fold but if it is indeed 9+10 then we will be getting some significant back. I myself favour F2. Richmond will have a bunch of picks in the early 40’s that they won’t use either. They currently have 39,41,47. They will likely get 39 as Compo for Graham to make that 39,40,42,48. Then all will get pushed back a further 2 spots (Battle/Perryman) to picks 41,42,44,50

9+10+F3 > Bolton, F2,41,42

I think it will end up 9+16 with us folding for a sweetener to them so we hold pick 10. Something similar resulted with Jordan Clark.

9+16+F2 > Bolton, F3, 44

Yeah this Cox talk is dumb, people remember how injury prone Pearce is right?

The problem with that logic is Cox needs Pearce. Cox can look fantastic when he isn't the #1 defender. In 2022 and 2023, Pearce played most of the season. Even if Pearce didn't play that well last year, he was still taking the #1 forward.

It's not unusual. There's much better players than Cox like McGovern, Andrews, Moore who actively try to avoid playing on good tall forwards. These players are best suited to not worrying about their opponents and then intercepting.

And go back to Rance. He was a good player, but very overrated as an actual key defender. Grimes and Astbury did the heavy lifting and they won two premierships without Rance.

Looks like west coast might get Bolton unless we buckle and hand over a kings ransom.

So we could go with 9 10 and 16 to the draft.

"Looks like". Please. Bolton is coming to Freo, 100% guaranteed. The most we will give up is 9 + 10, and that is acceptable considering it will include maximum salary cap relief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh i agree the list is bullshit.
I thought cox was on about $650 to 700k anyway. Not that bad all up. He’s probably out 10th best player and maybe paid in our top 7. Wouldn’t say he’s underpaid or anything but certainly far from the AFLs worst deal.

I noticed there was no port players either on Kane’s list 🤔
Good observation. From memory wasn't Cox in the AA squad just 2 seasons ago?

"Looks like". Please. Bolton is coming to Freo, 100% guaranteed. The most we will give up is 9 + 10, and that is acceptable considering it will include maximum salary cap relief.
Charlie Cameron was traded for pick 12. If Freo gave up 9 and 10 for Bolton that's just self-sabotage.

Looks like west coast might get Bolton unless we buckle and hand over a kings ransom.

So we could go with 9 10 and 16 to the draft.
Ryan Daniel said on hard ball gets it will get done. said both freo & Richmond are keen to get it done

If for some reason they don't. no doubt freo will trade 1 of those picks into next year

What facts? Nothing vague about his output or lack of
The midfield is not going to produce those crazy elite clearance numbers if such a key component like Fyfe is a liability.

It's not that he's perfect or that he's 2015 Fyfe. He's playing a role. Now into next year that role will likely change and be more mentor and managed.

But we're into contention mode and we need any potential replacements for that role to be as near ready to go as possible.

Potentially hot take, but I'm honestly at the point where I'm at peace if we end up giving up 9 + 10 for Bolton and whatever else, be it salary cap faffing or something from Richmond.

We have completely failed to draft another elite small forward since Sonny and then got very lucky and then very unlucky with Schultz. We have been absolutely kissed on the freckle that Bolton has fallen into our lap. I'm sick of getting excited over draft picks. Just get the elite goal-kicking small forward in the perfect age bracket please :)

Potentially hot take, but I'm honestly at the point where I'm at peace if we end up giving up 9 + 10 for Bolton and whatever else, be it salary cap faffing or something from Richmond.

We have completely failed to draft another elite small forward since Sonny and then got very lucky and then very unlucky with Schultz. We have been absolutely kissed on the freckle that Bolton has fallen into our lap. I'm sick of getting excited over draft picks. Just get the elite goal-kicking small forward in the perfect age bracket please :)
If Richmond pay a huge chunk of his salary, Kosi says he's not requesting a trade this season and Chad has given us a concrete agreement he's on board in 12 months time, then I'm on board.

It may not be sexy, but the salary part is pretty big.

Overall, #9 & 16 has been my prediction from the start, and I still expect this to happen. Maybe a late third coming back

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back