List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I still hold out hope for Delean too. I think he could pop.
Only have to look at how far someone like Draper come in 12 months.
Takes times to get use of everything.
Delean played league SANFL at 17 he definitely has enough talent hopefully it clicks over summer
When you saw Delean on tv in the dugout or standing with the rest of them around the ground during the Prelim and GF he looked like a high school kid who'd snuck in in pinched gear compared to them. We will have a better idea about him in 12 months as he certainly has talent.

Reason for disliking the thought of Simpson moving to a half back role to start 2025? Surely it would be a good way to at least get him more of the football in the WAFL, worst case he gets moved back to the high half forward role. Genuinely interested in your thoughts.
Need to keep him at half forward that’s where freo lack classic.

He ran out of steam late in season that happens to most First year kids

Why change something that isn’t broken?

Need to keep him at half forward that’s where freo lack classic.

He ran out of steam late in season that happens to most First year kids

Why change something that isn’t broken?

Fair enough. I think we lack class out of the back half just as much if not more than the forward line once Bolton comes in. Wagner is fine but he's a short term option IMO.

Aren't Perryman and Cumming from NSW? Would think they would be able to retain those players.
Oh no wasn’t that the number 1 reason for the continued academy rorts they get?
Not a footy state so hard to keep interstate players??

Quick AFL better double down and give them even more draft gifts

A few in our front half were very low selections.
Yes, curb expectations, but we’ve all seen his class.
What’s the knock on him? He doesn’t get enough of it.
No one says stuff like ‘he can’t kick. He lacks vision. He’s too slow’

He has great attributes, but he just doesn’t touch it enough.

This is why I raised the concern at the back end of the WAFL season. He was getting 6 touches a game. Why? Is he running completely poor patterns? Are his teammates ignoring him? (This is what many were saying - I don’t buy that)

Perhaps he’s the sort of player that would play better with class around him, but I also don’t buy that. 6 touches a game for about 5-6 weeks?

He’s certainly one to keep watching. Whenever I watch him and he gets it, you just think ‘Man this guy is class’ then you can literally not see him on screen for over a quarter.
I’ve liked his class shown in flashes too.

Maybe he doesn’t have a good enough tank?

The kind of think you will never notice in a highlights video.
If Brodie wasn’t getting gassed so easily he’d be a gun too.

I suspect Stanley was cut because he simply can’t run hard enough for long enough too.

Nick Haynes lodged

When you saw Delean on tv in the dugout or standing with the rest of them around the ground during the Prelim and GF he looked like a high school kid who'd snuck in in pinched gear compared to them. We will have a better idea about him in 12 months as he certainly has talent.

Memory tells me he did not have a good preseason.

I can see he did not play, until round 8 or 9 so it makes sense that he struggled this year.

Hopefully he stays injury free this year, and can impress us. Still think we need to target this area in the draft.

I think we could play two small forwards, and Bolton if they were all playing very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Memory tells me he did not have a good preseason.

I can see he did not play, until round 8 or 9 so it makes sense that he struggled this year.

Hopefully he stays injury free this year, and can impress us. Still think we need to target this area in the draft.

I think we could play two small forwards, and Bolton if they were all playing very well.
He played all season

Just got dropped to reserves around round 12ish

He looked alright at the start of the season at peel but did look miles off it in pre season

He's just very raw, probably more suited to a rookie pick, needs a big preseason

This is where the re-litigating past moves reaches the tipping point. Do we also discuss what would've happened if we had Sam Collins or even Joel Hamling this year instead of Brennan Cox or Alex Pearce because availability? Like if you use trade hypotheticals to undo injuries for any team, you'd probably make them significantly better.

Beyond that, I think everyone acknowledges we messed up with Acres because we saw his 2022 as an exception rather than a new normal (not the worst thing in the world coz he's still butchery as hell, but the bar is "Are you a better winger than 1 of Banfield, JOM or Johnson?" to improve the team). Schultz I agree we kinda get lost in the pick stuff: still made the right decision to trade him a year early, but it came at the cost of Tom Emmett and the like getting consistent games up fwd. We make finals if we hold off on that one for sure.

JOM also gets a fair bit of unnecessary hate imo. I don't love the move: we got in a predominant inside mid (relatively versatile) who got in the way of some players in his first year, and by his 2nd year of a 4 year deal had to be moved to the wing for the most part. But if he wasn't best 22...he wouldn't be playing. JL can be cautious in changing things up, but once it's evidenced that something's not working he'll change it up. JOM out of inside mid rotation, Aish being dropped for Wagner, Voss overtaking Tabs as the first replacement key fwd, Young's role changing as the season went on from more defensive to more attacking, etc. If the guys behind JOM want his spot, it's there to take. But right now JOM is ahead of them.

The length of contract is a bit of an issue for sure, but I actually like having older players like that around. Sonny, Fyfe, JOM, Aish somewhat fits this too. They have the experience to give pointers, but importantly they set a bar to get into the team that's a challenge, but not an insurmountable one. I hope next year guys like Raz, NOD, Johnson (more for inside minutes specifically), Simpson, Draper, etc are looking at those players plus some of the fringe best 22 mid-range age guys and thinking "I have you covered, and it's only a matter of time before JL sees that".

That’s all fair but I think we disrespected Shooter a bit and he would still be here if we treated him better from a contract perspective

Blakers was just stupid and was an obvious blunder

Soon as we committed to Jackson Darcy should have been on the table … having 2 rucks in your top 10 paid players is stupid as well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That’s all fair but I think we disrespected Shooter a bit and he would still be here if we treated him better from a contract perspective

Blakers was just stupid and was an obvious blunder

Soon as we committed to Jackson Darcy should have been on the table … having 2 rucks in your top 10 paid players is stupid as well

Shultz left due to unforeseen but very legitimate off field reasons, he would be at Fremantle if it wasn't for that.

Lobb is more important than all of those, and especially if you're including long bomb Acres. Many of Acres kicks for us ended up hitting Lobb's hands and resetting for a stoppage. We did not have the marking power to handle that in the later part of this season.

Lol no worse altitude than Sharp

It’s the position Danyle Pearce was the same

Take territory with your legs and boot it high and hard as you can

He’s a pick 36 when all is said and done, we need to set expectations accordingly.

While we may get lucky with him, it’s not a good strategy to just assume he will become a star.
The most likely outcome is that he will become a solid role player. That would be a decent result.

I thought he showed some promising flashes at peel but had a long long way to go yet.

The best strategy for freo is to assume he will produce average or par for what a pick 36 will, and that means we need to recruit more talent in the half forward/small forward position with earlier draft picks.
That can be a combination of Bolton via trade, and ideally pick 10 and 27 also used on small or medium forwards.

The ball is then back in coopers court - if he’s good enough to beat out those guys for a spot (along with existing B22 players like Frederick and Switta) then good for him.

If he turns out to be a bust, well then at least we haven’t put all our eggs in his basket.
Same applies for Jack Delean but I reckon he’s further away TBH.

At the end of the day there is only 22/23 places on the team and if you aren’t good enough you’ll be moved past fairly quickly.

As a member and a fan that’s exactly what I want, unsentimental, hard competition for places to drive higher standards and performance and ultimately team success.

The thing with Copper is everything he does with he ball is class.
We need him to get more of it, granted, but I'll take that class every day of the week

Lol no worse altitude than Sharp

It’s the position Danyle Pearce was the same

Take territory with your legs and boot it high and hard as you can

Hence why Lobb is the most important, he's the structural player.

Pardon the intrusion.

Is there a consensus on whether Freo would be prepared to make a serious bid on North's F1? Allowing you to get Warner next year, and for us to offer Port 2024 picks for Houston?
Only if tigers prefer it over pick 9 for bolton

The thing with Copper is everything he does with he ball is class.
We need him to get more of it, granted, but I'll take that class every day of the week

Hence why I think a move to the half back line to start 2025 will help him. You want him with ball in hand and that's the best way to get that done, will also give him some confidence if we then deceide to move him forward again.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back