• Chad Warner

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To improve our forward line and outside class.

Next year I am happy to go all in on Warner. I think this year is 1 year early.

Afraid we will end up like St Kilda. Without true top end talent.
Why so they can sit at Peel for the next 3 years developing, our experienced players all have one or two years left we need to trade more experience in if anything.

WA blitzed SA Adelaide today by 60+ points. Bo Allen was very good apparently. Curtin’s younger brother too. FYI

WA blitzed SA Adelaide today by 60+ points. Bo Allen was very good apparently. Curtin’s younger brother too. FYI
Curtin was really good as was Rohr and the whole defense. Thought oi was ok but I may have missed some of his work. Urquhart was good inside mid but his kicking is unreliable unless it is an easy kick. Liked Will Hayes. Small passy wing hf. Best I have seen Gerryn play. Looked a little more agile and a little quicker. Takes a good contested mark. Davis good too

I would’ve preferred to use these picks two years ago tbh.

I’m reasonably comfortable that Walls can find decent players with first round picks but if having everyone close enough to their peak is not important, it’s damn close to essential.

Is a 33-34 year old Alex Pearce and Luke Ryan going to help us win a flag? They could possibly but they could also be banged up and/or retired by then. Having the window 2-3 earlier could mean it’s a genuine 4-5 window rather than relying on miracles for it to more than 2-3 years.

Drafting isn’t always the answer. It is at the start of a rebuild and is the answer a lot of the time but good lists are built through the draft - premiership lists are built through both the draft AND trading. No good list is built by just trading but we’ve already drafted heaps.

We should be looking to trade but also paying a fair price, which imo is pretty much what we’ve been paying for players we’ve bought in - all these hindsight heroes can say we got screwed in a trade or two but that wasn’t the case at the time. More than happy to go to the draft if we’ve still got those picks after trade week. I’m not a fan of trading into the future again tbh. We’ve got to improve our list now before we’re trying to do so whilst falling 10-15 points short in Grand Final like we did in 2013.

It’s about having enough A Grade talent at their peak at the same time. I honestly think relying on three 18 year olds to come good in 3-4 years is basically accepting we’ve ****ed this rebuild tbh. Let’s not overreact on yesterday - we’re 1-2 players and 1-2 years off being a very good list that’s capable of competing for top four. Sooner we get those 1-2 players the better - drafting and developing is the slow way.

Last edited:
Do we have our 6 plus A graders to win a flag?
Richmond has Dusty, Reiwoldt, Cotchin, Rance or Lynch, I am sure I missed a few.
Hewks. Buddy, Roughead, Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, , Burgoyne, Rioli plus a great supporting cast of hill, Smith, lake, etc

We have Serong
Amiss in a few years
Pearce,
maybe Brayshaw, probably 1 level below.
maybe Young.
Treacy hopefully, needs to do this year again.
Jackson, Darcy as well.
Can't help but feel we need 2 more A graders. Would love to hit draft this year, and then top up.
Clark and Ryan are A grade.

Logan McDonald's role at the swans has been reduced to being a decoy for Amartey.
His value is diminishing by the week

Why do we want another tall forward when our mids get smashed like they did on the weekend? Warner is the one we should want. Goal kicking midfielder. We also saw how having Taberner in the side really took away from Amiss.

The more goal kicking midfielders we have, the more uncertainty it creates for our forward entries, and the more space it creates for Amiss/Traecy.

Why do we want another tall forward when our mids get smashed like they did on the weekend? Warner is the one we should want. Goal kicking midfielder. We also saw how having Taberner in the side really took away from Amiss.

The more goal kicking midfielders we have, the more uncertainty it creates for our forward entries, and the more space it creates for Amiss/Traecy.
I agree

Voss also seems decent depth, and if Kuek gets through his injury issues he may provide a point of difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does this mean? Can't make sense of it.
It means I think we need these players to be at their peak at the right time. Drafting them two years ago would've really helped close the gap between the peak of these guys and Pearce, Ryan etc. still being able to contribute at their current level.

Yes, I'm aware taking those picks two years ago wasn't an option but I don't think we can wait 4-5 for these guys to be A Graders. We need it in 2-3 years otherwise we're looking at a one or two year premiership window at best.

Either we get lucky and one or two of these guys comes in like Serong and performs pretty much straight away but a situation like Johnson, Erasmus and Simpson is more likely. In that less ideal, more likely scenario they're either developing at Peel contributing little to a premiership push or are an inconsistent bottom six player that's in the team more to do with potential than current performance. Then we get to say the 2026 Grand Final and fall short and wonder if we could've traded in an extra tall forward (using 2013 as an example - would be small forward in 2026).

Scott Gumbleton, 2013 traded to Fremantle for pick #55

What could have been...

It means I think we need these players to be at their peak at the right time. Drafting them two years ago would've really helped close the gap between the peak of these guys and Pearce, Ryan etc. still being able to contribute at their current level.

Yes, I'm aware taking those picks two years ago wasn't an option but I don't think we can wait 4-5 for these guys to be A Graders. We need it in 2-3 years otherwise we're looking at a one or two year premiership window at best.

Either we get lucky and one or two of these guys comes in like Serong and performs pretty much straight away but a situation like Johnson, Erasmus and Simpson is more likely. In that less ideal, more likely scenario they're either developing at Peel contributing little to a premiership push or are an inconsistent bottom six player that's in the team more to do with potential than current performance. Then we get to say the 2026 Grand Final and fall short and wonder if we could've traded in an extra tall forward (using 2013 as an example - would be small forward in 2026).
Oh got it. You left out the word 'ago' in your opening sentence. Makes sense now.

Back