• Chad Warner

Votes: 190 65.1%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 33 11.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Modra and Croad meet the established top end criteria, or pretty close to it. Tarrant and Bond pretty close. Maybe Fletcher.

Yes some of them like Croad and Tarrant are tainted from their time with us, but that is at least partly on us. Both those players performed veery well before and after their time with us.

All of those players would be massive FA 'gets' for us.
Not so sure those examples are backing up your point very strongly to be honest.
Firstly they are all from a generation ago. Modern kids are a lot different.

Modra was at the tail end of his career and was pissed off with Adelaide having missed out on two flags in a row.

Croad - the guy looked like he’d been sentenced to maximum security prison for a few years the day he arrived across to freo from the hawks in 2001.

Yeah Tarrant was a decent get at the time but again that’s nearly 20 years ago now.

I just see the modern game revolving around Melbourne ever so much more each passing year, probably more than it’s ever been really despite all the rubbish talk of expansion and growing the game. VFL bias exploded under Gill McLachlans reign since 2014 with more and more marquee games and tv coverage and the subsequent off field marketing opportunities that come with it going to big vic clubs.
I stand my my view that in this modern era, it’s almost impossible to attract A grade talent, from Victoria, established in their Victorian teams to a club like Fremantle. Unless we were to pay enormously over the odds.
I look at quality young Vic players 24-26 in Vic that could be on the move in the next 2 or 3 years, they will never come to freo.
We can get:
  • original WA players
  • fringe or role players from anywhere
  • possibly damaged goods from another club that could be A grade but want a fresh start and have high risk attached.
  • a vic with a strong WA link (Angus Brayshaw was a good example here but these are rare)

Actually, the more I think about it, there’s a decent argument we should be drafting vic talent and then working on your Dan Curtin/Lance Collard/Riley Hardeman types a couple of years later… overall broadening the potential pool of talent available to freo. We can draft guns from vic, but we can’t trade for them.

If you’re real I’m genuinely intrigued how it will work. Eagles don’t have our 3 x 1st rnd picks. Tom Harley ain’t gonna take a single first round pick unless a top 3 pick, if Eagles finish bottom 3 they ain’t using it on Warner.
Yes good point. Chad Warner will cost a fortune in trade. More than Logan mcdonald in my view. I guess he will be a 10 year player you’d hope but still should the eagles be handing over precious top end picks in a rebuild like this?

Not so sure those examples are backing up your point very strongly to be honest.

Modra was at the tail end of his career and was pissed off with Adelaide having missed out on two flags in a row.

Croad - the guy looked like he’d been sentenced to maximum security prison for a few years the day he arrived across to freo from the hawks in 2001.

Yeah Tarrant was a decent get at the time but again that’s nearly 20 years ago now.

I just see the modern game revolving around Melbourne ever so much more each passing year, probably more than it’s ever been really despite all the rubbish talk of expansion and growing the game. VFL bias exploded under Gill McLachlans reign since 2014 with more and more marquee games and tv coverage and the subsequent off field marketing opportunities that come with it going to big vic clubs.
I stand my my view that in this modern era, it’s almost impossible to attract A grade talent, from Victoria, established in their Victorian teams to a club like Fremantle. Unless we were to pay enormously over the odds.
I look at quality young Vic players 24-26 in Vic that could be on the move in the next 2 or 3 years, they will never come to freo.
We can get:
  • original WA players
  • possibly damaged goods from another club that could be A grade but want a fresh start and have high risk attached.
  • a vic with a strong WA link (Angus Brayshaw was a good example here but these are rare)

Actually, the more I think about it, there’s a decent argument we should be drafting vic talent and then working on your Dan Curtin/Lance Collard/Riley Hardeman types a couple of years later… overall broadening the potential pool of talent available to freo. We can draft guns from vic, but we can’t trade for them.
Croad and Hawthorn planned for a two year at Fremantle. Totally ruthless and corrupt.

We can get:
  • original WA players

My point is a counter to your 'it just doesn't happen' comment. I note that you now qualify it as in the 'modern era'.

Of course it would cost a lot. Franklin cost Sydney plenty and Daniher and Neale aren't playing for free.

I thought we would never attract a top of the line coach, and especially one from Victoria. We did, and have attracted high end S&C staff as well.

I thought no way we'd get pick 2 for Weller, snag the Brodie deal, the Hill trade each way, Mayne trade.

I think there is a potential play for Pickett and we just had a crack at Gus Brayshaw. I'm not going to accept that a player like Gunston will go to Brisbane but wouldn't come to Perth.

FA opens doors. So does being a club that plays in finals, something we have rarely been. Change that and players may be very interested in having a chat.

We write our own stories.

Last edited:
If you’re real I’m genuinely intrigued how it will work. Eagles don’t have our 3 x 1st rnd picks. Tom Harley ain’t gonna take a single first round pick unless a top 3 pick, if Eagles finish bottom 3 they ain’t using it on Warner.
Im not sure if it will be next year or the year after. All I was told was they both want to come home at some point.

Im not sure if it will be next year or the year after. All I was told was they both want to come home at some point.
Corey has got a lot of work to do before he nominate a club.

The potential he turns into another Chad is the reason we'd be interested. But it's still early in his career.

Very different types of players.
Corey will be a good wing in years to come & Horse is a fan, so expect more game time in 2024

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's not really about the type of players they are. One's a top 50 player in the league, whilst the other has played a few games but hasn't established himself at AFL level. You'd pay two first rounders for one of them and a single mid-range pick for the other. They're only being talked about together because they're brothers

Yes good point. Chad Warner will cost a fortune in trade. More than Logan mcdonald in my view. I guess he will be a 10 year player you’d hope but still should the eagles be handing over precious top end picks in a rebuild like this?
No that’s my point. I’d happily pay 2 for Chad Warner . Which eagles won’t pay I top end single to disrupt their rebuild. His brother isn’t proven and a 2nd rounder at best.

What was the function. I saw them all at Sailing for Oranges but had not seen anything advertised.
It was at meet and great aimed at mother's. They released the footage on Twitter. I think it was invite only as this family friend is in the cheer squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm curious to see how Taylor Adams fits into Sydney's midfield and how that's going to work with Chad Warner and whether it's going to be a complimentary mix.

If they cut into each others strengths it might require a bit of adjustment. I did see that Angus Sheldrick has taken Josh Kennedy's No 12 jumper, so that would suggest they've also got big plans for him as an inside mid.

Maybe Adams get another injury and it won't be a problem, but it's difficult to see how they can all fit into the same midfield.

Not all first round picks are the same.

Collingwood's 2023 first round pick end up pick 25.

If Port, Fremantle and Collingwood play finals in 2024 then picks will be late teens or early twenties.

Getting Warner and Mcdonald for four late first rounders would be a good outcome.
Yes, the way things going (like 5 to 6 NGA or F/S matched in first round this year and next year most likely as well ), clubs entering window or already right in the window will try hard to trade in good players in the right age bracket to make maximum use of the late first round picks?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back