List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only the high end would be treated like that, but that opens up the room to pay a bit more to their equivalents of Acres, Hamling, etc.

Geelong do have a fairly unique situation being in a bit more regional area with a surf/farm lifestyle. With that region being a mad 1-team area with plenty of supporters/builders/businesses/etc willing to "sponsor" star players during and after their career. Large rural/coastal properties (such as those of Hawkins, Cameron, Dangerfield, etc) are much easier to rort than in metro areas.

All clubs would do it to some degree, but I think Geelong have the perfect set of circumstances and have exploited it as well as possible, which means they do it the best out of all clubs.
Every non Victorian club has its own version of a regional advantage that they endeavour to exploit. We certainly do. Sydney works it well. Brisbane has grown into it. Adelaide, Port and WC have built premiership teams around the go home factor.

Geelong didn't always have it and used to lose players all the time, especially Melbourne based boys who didn't want to travel all the way down the highway to Sleepy Hollow. They have built that.

Yes, farms are famously useful for tax minimization. But apparently Hungry Jacks franchises also work well. And I'm pretty sure Fyfe and Amiss could be enticed by some kind of deal in the SW.

Duursma has a WA girl and wouldn’t even consider freo
Who cares about Duursma. He knew his brother was going play at North and wanted to get back to Melbourne.

Freo enquired, his manager said Vic only we move on.

Form wise - he has been on a slippery slope downhill slide. Average last year and dropped to SANFL for many games throughout 2023.

I can’t stand that stupid bow and arrow BS he pulls out either.

Last edited:
Who cares about Duursma. He knew his brother was going play at North and wanted to get back to Melbourne.

Freo enquired, his manager said Vic only we move on.

Form wise - he has been on a slippery slope downhill slide. Average last year and dropped to SANFL for many games throughout 2023.

I can’t stand that stupid bow and arrow BS he pulls out either.
I’m not that keen on him either it’s just another example that there’s very little draw for interstate players to want to come to Perth

I’m not that keen on him either it’s just another example that there’s very little draw for interstate players to want to come to Perth
I don’t believe we will be in the market for a marquee type interstate FA but there will be some other best 22 we will target. These things take time and courting a player manager over decent period of time. Even Neale if I remember correctly was something that was discussed/explored 12months earlier if his manager is to be believed (Brisbane had discussions 12months out). Aish seems to be the exception and he obviously saw the writing on the wall at Collingwood.

Duursma we basically asked the question if not during trade period was just before. Way too late in the piece. I doubt we had that serious an interest.

You would need to be paying stupid money to tempt an established top end AFL player from Victoria to request a trade to Perth or even to get one as a FA.
It just doesn’t happen.
Yeah you get your players like Aish, Brodie, Corbett. But those are role player types usually facing an uncertain future at their own club. They are not stars. It’s not like American sports where you can blow a competitor away with an extra $5 or 10 million USD on the contract.
The only time I’ve heard we had a chance of getting a gun FA was actually Tom lynch When he left GC for Richmond.
Apparently we were genuinely in the running to tempt him across, according to one of the podcasts I heard this year.
At the end of the day though he nominated the tigers.

The majority of the players that have left us recently have been WA boys managed by Colin Young anyway. Henry, Hamling, Acres, Lobb, Logue, plus others like Hill

Let's just draft interstaters (unless there's a WA best available) and trade for WA boys. It avoids drafting Colin Young clients and means we only deal with him when his players are coming to Freo

You would need to be paying stupid money to tempt an established top end AFL player from Victoria to request a trade to Perth or even to get one as a FA.
It just doesn’t happen.
Yeah you get your players like Aish, Brodie, Corbett. But those are role player types usually facing an uncertain future at their own club. They are not stars. It’s not like American sports where you can blow a competitor away with an extra $5 or 10 million USD on the contract.
The only time I’ve heard we had a chance of getting a gun FA was actually Tom lynch When he left GC for Richmond.
Apparently we were genuinely in the running to tempt him across, according to one of the podcasts I heard this year.
At the end of the day though he nominated the tigers.
Modra and Croad meet the established top end criteria, or pretty close to it. Tarrant and Bond pretty close. Maybe Fletcher.

Yes some of them like Croad and Tarrant are tainted from their time with us, but that is at least partly on us. Both those players performed veery well before and after their time with us.

All of those players would be massive FA 'gets' for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of water under the bridge but reading future Drafts is very interesting.

2024 not a lot of WA talent and again the first round has a lot of Academy and FS draftees.

3 first round picks. If we don’t use on the likes of McDonald. Do we kick the can down the road and load up picks in 2025.

2025 WA talent shades.

Hearing it’s west coast in pole 😭
They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

Hearing it’s west coast in pole 😭
We better be doing our damnedest to get their signature if they want to return home. I would even consider losing Darcy. Our midfield is just so meh at the moment. I don't know if anyone else would agree?

West Coast in Pole Position to get his signature...damn that will speed their rebuild along faster.
They are signed for another 2 seasons, it’ll cost WC a packet in draft capital that they don’t have. As long as they don’t wait I’m till they are out of contract I’m not too fussed.

Last edited:
It's our Christmas treat this year

We have already started the contract announcements for others, it'll end with Sean
It’s like an advent calendar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back