• Chad Warner

Votes: 178 66.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is the term 'athletic chumps' just means someone who is ABNORMALLY athletic. All of those above names were athletes and above average athletes at that. I don't anyone that is playing AFL is not an 'athlete'.

Paul Hasleby types maybe?

But yeah, I certainly wouldn't be categorising people like Hird, Voss and Buckley as being unathletic.

I like the idea of trading for McDonald with two of our four available first round picks (2024 & 2025 first), then using the other two to buy the top ten pick of a club who will need to match bids with points and picking the best small forward there as that small forward should be able to immediately step into the team.
I like he idea of doing that plus finding a way of bringing in a third and fourth rounder via trading and then trading he St Kilda 2nd and fourth rounder with those picks for a late 1st rounder for a team needing points like Brisbane or Carlton. I think someone like Will Brodie will want to leave if not give enough opportunity next year that''s where the third and 4th rounder might come from or perhaps combined with James Aish. Next years draft ooks to be deeper than recent years but without many key position prospects. If we traded our pick and our future first then also got a top ten pick with the Collingwood and Port picks combined while also having another late 1st rounder and Macdonald then that would be some good work.

Jackson's best position might yet be as a a giant midfielder. I think the 4 talls (Jackson, Treacy, Macdonald and Amiss) will work brilliantly.
Yes, I think Jackson is much better suited through the midfield instead of either a ruck or a key forward. His core skillset is much like the elite midfielders, but due to his height he seems to be seen as just a ruck/forward. Hopefully they are willing to at least try him as a part time onballer at the contests for some of the games, especially if Darcy is healthy and in form.

Jackson's best position might yet be as a a giant midfielder. I think the 4 talls (Jackson, Treacy, Macdonald and Amiss) will work brilliantly.
I think he rotates through there but we can't waste him like that

He needs to play everywhere, he is just as dangerous up forward as in the middle

I think he rotates through there but we can't waste him like that

He needs to play everywhere, he is just as dangerous up forward as in the middle
I'd also agree that he exceeded my expectations how well he played forward last season. I agree we need him all over the ground. My point was more how I think playing the 4 tall forward options works because we can have three of them playing forward for most of the game because we can rotate Jackson mid and ruck and we can also rotate any of those 4 players off the bench.

The thing is the term 'athletic chumps' just means someone who is ABNORMALLY athletic. All of those above names were athletes and above average athletes at that. I don't anyone that is playing AFL is not an 'athlete'.
I think you've misunderstood me, yes they're 'athletes' they've played sport at a professional level, and as such there are better 'athletes' than you and i. however, they're are not as naturally gifted athletes as say a Griffin Logo/Jack Martin type. The players I listed ability had more to do with what's between their ears than how fast they couldd run or high they could jump. They knew how to football. A good current example on our list would be Serong I think. Not particularly fast or agile etc but knows how to find the pill and what to do with it. That plus work ethic and competitiveness makes a champion footballer (He's headed in this direction IMO).
I can even use myself as an example, I could run longer and faster than most blokes when I was playing footy and I could jump my own height, but I was a reserved grade fullback because I had a football IQ of very close to zero. I could kill a ball and take a mark but if you put me up the ground I would clog up the space we wanted or lose my man trying to find space and he'd end up getting 30 touches. The best players were all shorter, slower, less agile, and probably uglier, but they could football.

People say this a lot, but it's a spectrum and there's many examples of good footballers who can't make it in the AFL as they don't have the athletic traits.

If you're a midfielder and can't make enough contests it's hard to impact, if you're a defender and can't match your opponent you get beaten and if you're a forward and can't get any separation then you get blanketed or shut out of the game.

It's not one or the other, you need some of both.
As the general level has risen across the AFL this has become even more true in my view.
Agree, but there's still a place for the guys that are slower/smarter I think. Libba Jnr is a perfect example. Nick Daicos too, to a certain extent, he's not a freakish athlete but gee whiz he knows how to football, sees things other guys don't. Pendles still getting a game because he's football brain is off the charts and he's got the skills to match. Mundy was our version of that.

That Warner talk that was dropped on here, unless something occurred from two weeks ago Chad Warner will be staying at the Sydney swans and extending his contract. As for Corey Warner, who cares.

Onto Freo news, the dockers will be having a big crack at JVR next year.

That Warner talk that was dropped on here, unless something occurred from two weeks ago Chad Warner will be staying at the Sydney swans and extending his contract. As for Corey Warner, who cares.

I've heard McDonald is very happy at Sydney

JVR might be a need.

That surprises me, in that I see JVR as even closer to Treacy in skill set than McDonald. We must be really keen on Jackson + 3 talls if we are switching from McDonald to JVR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming that means McDonald isn't going to happen.

Wonder if part of the pitch involves signing his brother.

I agree we need him all over the ground.
I don't agree with this.

We seem likely to have Fyfe back and we have Johnson developing. We have Young and Chapman transitioning into the midfield. We have Sharp and Erasmus to bring in. Brodie can't even get a game.

Jackson may be really handy as shock value in the midfield occasionally, but I'd personally just use him as second ruck and a mobile forward.

Does anyone have the time to work out how many goals in how many games Jackson got when Darcy was in the side?

Just off my memory, which can be off at times, he scored maybe one or two goals without Darcy in the side. He scored 22 for the season.

I daresay adjust it to 23 games with Darcy in the team then he's up around 30 goals for the season. This is a player in his fourth season.

In the future perhaps Reidy or Knobel play when Darcy doesn't (although both are decent forwards for rucks so Jackson might still ruck more).

Jackson doesn't look like a natural forward at times but he still goes alright there imo. Wouldn't have him playing much less forward if I was the one making the call.

Does anyone have the time to work out how many goals in how many games Jackson got when Darcy was in the side?

Just off my memory, which can be off at times, he scored maybe one or two goals without Darcy in the side. He scored 22 for the season.

I daresay adjust it to 23 games with Darcy in the team then he's up around 30 goals for the season. This is a player in his fourth season.

In the future perhaps Reidy or Knobel play when Darcy doesn't (although both are decent forwards for rucks so Jackson might still ruck more).

Jackson doesn't look like a natural forward at times but he still goes alright there imo. Wouldn't have him playing much less forward if I was the one making the call.
Jackson as a forward shouldn't just be measured by how many goals he personally kicks. Him forward can make life a lot easier for Amiss and Treacy as well as the other forwards.

Jackson as a forward shouldn't just be measured by how many goals he personally kicks. Him forward can make life a lot easier for Amiss and Treacy as well as the other forwards.
That is true for any 3rd tall who demands defensive attention though, whether it’s Jackson, McDonald, JVR, Tabs or even Darcy, Reidy or Knobel resting forward stops the opposition from double teaming them or filling the space in front of a leading Amiss/Treacy.

Would we be better served using our plethora of picks next year on a quality small / medium forward?
Possible players available at the end of 2024 may include
Tyson Stengel
Liam Ryan
Jarrod Berry
Cam Zuhaar
Or even though they are in contract either of
Kosie Pickett
Jessie Motlop
And from memory Charlie Cameron may be up soon as well if we want to go a little older.
Obviously not all of those may be interested in heading west but worth a shot.
I think this is an area of need more than a tall forward (assuming Treacy keeps progressing) so while we have the currency may as well have a crack.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I actually think Melbourne will be one of the clubs coming for Treacy end of 2025 while he has a year to go on his deal with us.
Love the way Treacy goes about his game. Would be a big loss considering where his development started when he landed at Freo. Had his injury problems thanks to Body Majic 🤦‍♂️ but looks set for a big season.

Back