• Chad Warner

Votes: 190 65.1%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 33 11.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You’d think with all the money spent on our gym. Personal running individual programs that we could set off season goals?
If the club sanctions or micro managed Gerard I’m ok with this.
But on the outside it doesn’t look professional by the club. especially if the
players are running the asylum?
More chance of not doing what the club is striving for. Injuries are a part of sport.
If the guy is so good maybe we should get him working out of Cockburn?
I’ll
Players from all over the AFL and AFLW work with him

It's an off season program, the clubs aren't meant to control the players during those times

The club will give the players some kind of program (and then are required to step away by the AFLPA) and then its up to the player how they do it in the off season, some like to go there and have it structured for them

Dawson's stats from his last year at Sydney:

Screenshot_20240103-165053.png Screenshot_20240103-165101.png Screenshot_20240103-165108.png Screenshot_20240103-165122.png Screenshot_20240103-165127.png

These are amazing. Adelaide gave up pick 17. People here want to give up so much for Logan McDonald.

My theory is that because Dawson was originally a pick in the 50s it gets done for less compared to a McDonald who was taken at pick 4 and has a sea of red and yellow stats.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240103-165053.png
    Screenshot_20240103-165053.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20240103-165127.png
    Screenshot_20240103-165127.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20240103-165122.png
    Screenshot_20240103-165122.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20240103-165108.png
    Screenshot_20240103-165108.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20240103-165101.png
    Screenshot_20240103-165101.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 59
My theory is that because Dawson was originally a pick in the 50s it gets done for less compared to a McDonald who was taken at pick 4 and has a sea of red and yellow stats.

It was the ability for Adelaide to pick him for nothing in the PSD that caused that.

Weren't Adelaide 15th that year? Can you expand a little please?

Exactly, there was North, Pies and GC ahead of them in the preseason draft. Dawson was moving home to Adelaide, offered a similar contract at Sydney but Adelaide the city was the draw. Port Adelaide were 2nd that year so nowhere near it.

Not a single player has been taken in the PSD without agreeing to terms with the club in about twenty years. Dawson was only interested in going to South Aus.

So they had Sydney over a barrel. Adelaide had taken a first round draftee off GWS with pick #1 in the PSD just the year before and both North and Collingwood ended up passing in the PSD that year, GC re-drafting an existing player meaning Adelaide would have had first crack at Dawson anyway.

Weren't Adelaide 15th that year? Can you expand a little please?
Adelaide were going to take him for nothing as he was OOC. Port had finished in the finals so they were not a threat.
Adelaide acted in shabby enough manner to be honest and I think they lost a lot of goodwill in that deal.
They had pick 4 which ended up being 6, in Hindsight Dawson was worth that but was probably still under the radar at the time. Adelaide were gettin Rachele with pick 4 though no matter what

I do agree that Logan is being overvalued in here though a bit. A lot depends on what he does next year

Re Treacy v Logan and trading for Logan, I think at some stage we need to accept that clubs know more about these players, and what they are projected to do, than we do. Just because Treacy and Logan have similar stats doesn't mean they are in any way going to be similarly good down the track, and much like draftees if the club rates one player over the other you need to trust their professional judgement.

People were bemoaning Jackson based on his stats before we got him in, he's projecting to be a generational player and Walls clearly saw it more than we (generally) did

Exactly, there was North, Pies and GC ahead of them in the preseason draft. Dawson was moving home to Adelaide, offered a similar contract at Sydney but Adelaide the city was the draw. Port Adelaide were 2nd that year so nowhere near it.

Not a single player has been taken in the PSD without agreeing to terms with the club in about twenty years. Dawson was only interested in going to South Aus.

So they had Sydney over a barrel. Adelaide had taken a first round draftee off GWS with pick #1 in the PSD just the year before and both North and Collingwood ended up passing in the PSD that year, GC re-drafting an existing player meaning Adelaide would have had first crack at Dawson anyway.
I found an article that may provide a touch of insight: Screenshot_20240103-175827.png

Re Treacy v Logan and trading for Logan, I think at some stage we need to accept that clubs know more about these players, and what they are projected to do, than we do. Just because Treacy and Logan have similar stats doesn't mean they are in any way going to be similarly good down the track, and much like draftees if the club rates one player over the other you need to trust their professional judgement.

People were bemoaning Jackson based on his stats before we got him in, he's projecting to be a generational player and Walls clearly saw it more than we (generally) did
Firstly, what does generational player even mean?

Sure, Jackson outperformed my expectations in his first year but I'm not sure it's useful in proving that the club's player projections have been historically more accurate than us mugs.

Have we ever got the better end of the stick in trading for a player that cost us at least a first rounder? I'm not sure we have. I can list too many examples of the opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's my expectation too.
Our plan seems to be, lock em in longer for slightly less, then hope we are challenging for a solid period of time, players then take less to stay with us and try win the premiership

If it fails then players keep leaving, if we are challenging then players want to be here, like Brissy right now

Firstly, what does generational player even mean?
Great question. Another Americanism that has slowly crept its way into Aussie sport.. “franchise player” is the next one you will start to hear now!
To me we have only had 2 generational players ever.
Pav and Fyfe.
Most clubs would have only have 3 or 4 max since 2000.
We have a few guys that could get to that status but they would need to be winning 4 plus AA awards and maybe a norm smith or two.

If I had to guess I’d say Jackson and Darcy are earning about $850k per annum each or $1.7m between them for the next few seasons. Maybe $900k for LJ and $800 for Darcy, something like that.

Does that mean Sean Darcy is getting paid the generational player rate whilst not being considered a generational talent?

Is Lachie Neale a generational player? Was he when he was with us or do you only qualify after the first Brownlow?

Great question. Another Americanism that has slowly crept its way into Aussie sport.. “franchise player” is the next one you will start to hear now!
To me we have only had 2 generational players ever.
Pav and Fyfe.
Most clubs would have only have 3 or 4 max since 2000.
We have a few guys that could get to that status but they would need to be winning 4 plus AA awards and maybe a norm smith or two.
I feel only Serong will be in that echelon when all is said and done.

I'm still staggered that someone who watches a good amount of football has concluded that Jackson is a ruck and only a ruck. I would 100% agree if he hadn't shown an ability to do basically whatever he wants.

I'm wondering if we think we can play all three plus Jackson. Having just signed Darcy, I can't imagine we have Jackson pencilled in for serious ruck minutes so maybe he is going full unicorn at some stage?

I feel only Serong will be in that echelon when all is said and done.
Amiss.

Is Lachie Neale a generational player? Was he when he was with us or do you only qualify after the first Brownlow?
1- GENERATIONAL PLAYER

The definition is rather clear. A generational player is basically a player that you see once in a generation. They are players that are a full length above anyone else in the league in their era, players who literally dominate the game. They are few and far between. Often, they are the ones breaking or challenging for the toughest attainable records.

I found this definition online from North America. That’s how I define it.
Sean Darcy is definitely not a generational player. Lachie Neale - I don’t think so… he’s a great great player, truly elite at what he does.
But not generational under the above definition. Here’s a few of the players I think qualify for generational criteria in recent times:
Fyfe and pav from ourseves
Judd, maybe JK from eagles
Dusty martin
Dangerfield
Goodes
Buddy Franklin
Nick Riewoldt
Wayne Carey
Gary Ablett Jr

Maybe Max Gawn for what he’s done the last 7 years or so

People like the Bont are getting close but I think he needs a Brownlow to Frank his greatness.

Also feel you need to wait till the player is 31/32 to make the call

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back