• Chad Warner

Votes: 190 65.1%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 34 11.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Average 4.4 which is average(ish). It's not low but to make the top 20 clearance players in the comp you'd need to average 5.5. Top players are 6.5+
Small sample so we can't conclude anything really. It's good for someone playing their first 5 games onball, but then he's 21 and had 50 games senior experience, not 18 yo draftee.

This my prevaricating way of saying he will probably good but he might not be.
Yep. On 80% attendance last 4 which is high.

No reason he doesn't improve on that number with a full pre season training as a mid.

Hypothetically if he didn't we still have a clearance issue, and Fyfe aside the best solution(s) statistically aren't in most 22s.

Average 4.4 which is average(ish). It's not low but to make the top 20 clearance players in the comp you'd need to average 5.5. Top players are 6.5+
Small sample so we can't conclude anything really. It's good for someone playing their first 5 games onball, but then he's 21 and had 50 games senior experience, not 18 yo draftee.

This my prevaricating way of saying he will probably good but he might not be.
Not sure the about including the first one, as he was tagging Dangerfield. He was running with Neale for the second too, though eased off on the defensive as the game went on (hence the 7 clearances). The 2 clearances against Port is probably the only worrying return. Anyone remember what was going on in that one?

A post on Reddit about Dan McKenzie joining us (from a Saints fan)

"He became one of our most important gameday players in 2022. Our drop-off in form that year aligns perfectly with his ongoing injury issues. He was that important to us.

His running ability is incredible, while his defensive accountability made him such an effective two-way player for us. It also allowed players like Hill and Sinclair to shine coming off half back.

I was devastated to see him get desisted. If he can get his body right, he'll be a fantastic contributor to your footy club. I will add though, his issues are concussion related. I wasn't too surprised when we did let him go."

Not sure the about including the first one, as he was tagging Dangerfield. He was running with Neale for the second too, though eased off on the defensive as the game went on (hence the 7 clearances). The 2 clearances against Port is probably the only worrying return. Anyone remember what was going on in that one?
I have an idea he spent some periods of the second half of that game in defense.

Although I joked about prevaricating before I really do think we don't have evidence either way. To my mind he hasn't demonstrated he can be an elite clearance player, but he hasn't demonstrated he can't either.

Going off slightly tangentially the problem I have with the Young to midfield experiment is that, short of him becoming a genuinely elite mid, he doesnt solve our inside midfield problem which to my eye last year was ground ball.

Anyone have sneaky access to the data? I'd be fascinated.

Personally don’t think we can judge Young on his personal performance in the games he started as a midfielder last year as he hadn’t trained with the mids at all and was given a negating role.
To the naked eye, our team clearance differential looked better with him in the centre square, mainly because he was stopping the opposition’s best clearance players.
Geelong, +10, centre +2
Brisbane, -4, centre +1
WC, +13, centre +9
Port, -8, centre -3
Hawks, -13, centre -4
Total, -2, centre +5
Bit surprised we lost clearances against the hawks. But overall about even across those 5 games, which was an improvement on the previous 18 games of the season

Port Adelaide had a different set up for the bounce compared to the follow up stoppages, with Wines starting off the wing for the bounce just to keep him near the next stoppage if the burst mids of the bounce didn't win a clearance.

We can do the same.
Starting positions don’t need to be finishing positions.

High forwards could act like wingers and the 5 midfielders could be on ballers.

Most teams have 14-16 players inside defensive 50m. Frederick could be on flat side outside D50 and the other 3 players on the skinny side. Which would include at least one key forward and most likely two talks to stop the intercept mark.

Frederick could be used for switch of play to the flat side.

Yep. On 80% attendance last 4 which is high.

No reason he doesn't improve on that number with a full pre season training as a mid.

Hypothetically if he didn't we still have a clearance issue, and Fyfe aside the best solution(s) statistically aren't in most 22s.
From the little I’ve seen I don’t think Young is sharp enough to play midfield. He lacks that spark. Dont come at me.
How much have you seen?

Young is killing it in the match sims playing middle
Hell Yeah Dancing GIF by collin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young is as quick as Pendlebury…that is, quick enough.

Hes also defensively minded while being attacking. He was the main reason we stopped bleeding easy clearances.

Andy is an option to move out

I'd like
Serong Young and Andy to start with Johnson, Erasmus and Fyfe to rotate through

I'd like
Serong Young and Andy to start with Johnson, Erasmus and Fyfe to rotate through
Will be really interesting to see how it is managed.

• Young clearly has the capacity to rotate into defence, but with who?
  • Brayshaw has the two way running capacity to rotate with the wings; Johnson
  • Serong I had expected to show more as a forward; Switkowski?

Will be really interesting to see how it is managed.

• Young clearly has the capacity to rotate into defence, but with who?
  • Brayshaw has the two way running capacity to rotate with the wings; Johnson
  • Serong I had expected to show more as a forward; Switkowski?
I don’t think it will just be a 2 player role swap, with Young dropping back, it could be Chappy or Aish rotating to a wing and Johnson replacing Young in the guts, likewise with Serong, if Sharp on the open wing needs a spell on the pine, Frederick could roll up to that wing, while Walters moves to the HHF role and Serong plays as the deep small at the feet of Amiss/Treacy.

I don’t think it will just be a 2 player role swap, with Young dropping back, it could be Chappy or Aish rotating to a wing and Johnson replacing Young in the guts, likewise with Serong, if Sharp on the open wing needs a spell on the pine, Frederick could roll up to that wing, while Walters moves to the HHF role and Serong plays as the deep small at the feet of Amiss/Treacy.
I don't think they will much around with defence very much and expect the focus will be for Young to play mid full time.

Young is as quick as Pendlebury…that is, quick enough.

Hes also defensively minded while being attacking. He was the main reason we stopped bleeding easy clearances.

Andy is an option to move out
Young's way quicker than people give him credit for and an absolute ton quicker than Pendlebury.

I like what Young brings but quick? I have seen him dishing himself about his lack of leg speed
at this point in his career I’d be more concerned if he wasn’t decently quicker then Pendlebury

Here i thought we should have had a go at Tarryn Thomas last trade period
Just goes to show that us mug punters have no real idea.
I suppose wc will be looking at him, now, however

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back