Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If kicking is his strength he obviously picked up the wrong boots in the change room.
Longmuir said in his presser mcKenzie would be coming over soon and would be another player they'd look at. im prety sure he's not in Perth yet.
Around the 9 minute mark j"lo says Mckenzie would be coming over to contend for a spot on the list.

Last edited:

I think our top 3 wing options are;
  • Johnson (clearly in development for an on ball role)
  • Aish (but can play elsewhere)
  • O'Driscoll
  • Sharp (is he first choice?)
  • Stanley (big preseason would be exciting)
  • Wagner (our depth hbf)
  • Chapman (the future?)

That's plenty to work with. Also provides hbf options to develop Chapman for the future, rotating with Aish perhaps.

• O'Driscoll
  • Wagner (our depth hbf)
  • Chapman (the future?)

That's plenty to work with. Also provides hbf options to develop Chapman for the future, rotating with Aish perhaps.
Agree with the Top 3. I think Williams is also in the bullet point list, perhaps even ahead of Wagner but not the others. And Hughes of course is an option they may go to again if they are desperate.

Longmuir said in his presser mcKenzie would be coming over soon and would be another player they'd look at. im prety sure he's not in Perth yet.
Around the 9 minute mark j"lo says Mckenzie would be coming over to contend for a spot on the list.

Interesting. There was a player who fitted his description with no number on his back running around on Thursday who a couple of on lookers were sure it was him 🤷‍♂️

Wasn’t at training for long but was told Ethan Stanley was a standout I was told. For the time I was there I watched a couple of drills he was involved in off HB, works well in tight areas and unlike the McKenzie look-a-like 😂 he kicks very well.

• O'Driscoll
  • Wagner (our depth hbf)
  • Chapman (the future?)

Agree with the Top 3. I think Williams is also in the bullet point list, perhaps even ahead of Wagner but not the others. And Hughes of course is an option they may go to again if they are desperate.
I think Wagner is grossly underrated on this board.
I reckon there’s a bit of a stigma attached to him due to the fact that he was a 26yo delisted fringe player with two previous AFL clubs.
As shiny new toys go in an AFL off season, that’s about as underwhelming as it gets for any fanbase.

I’m just judging him from what I saw on the 7 or 8 games he played at the back end of last season, but felt he did more than enough to shake that reputation off.

I thought he was better than Walker on balance as a HBF. More composed in possession and possibly a better overall football brain who makes better decisions with ball in hand. I wanted the ball in Wagners hands as much as possible (which is a good sign of any player). He strikes a great balance between the aggressive 30m kick into the corridor and the safer 30m kick to the flanks.

As for Williams being ahead of him for a spot, even as a winger (I do think Wagner is too small for the wing but so is Williams probably)? It’s nice that young Williams looks to be making progress in his second year but he was getting about 5 touches a game in the wafl last season (when he actually made the league wafl side). Wagner was getting over 20 touches in the afl at the same time.
He should start the season as a B22 half back.

I think Wagner is grossly underrated on this board.
I reckon there’s a bit of a stigma attached to him due to the fact that he was a 26yo delisted fringe player with two previous AFL clubs.
As shiny new toys go in an AFL off season, that’s about as underwhelming as it gets for any fanbase.

I’m just judging him from what I saw on the 7 or 8 games he played at the back end of last season, but felt he did more than enough to shake that reputation off.

I thought he was better than Walker on balance as a HBF. More composed in possession and possibly a better overall football brain who makes better decisions with ball in hand. I wanted the ball in Wagners hands as much as possible (which is a good sign of any player). He strikes a great balance between the aggressive 30m kick into the corridor and the safer 30m kick to the flanks.

As for Williams being ahead of him for a spot, even as a winger (I do think Wagner is too small for the wing but so is Williams probably)? It’s nice that young Williams looks to be making progress in his second year but he was getting about 5 touches a game in the wafl last season (when he actually made the league wafl side). Wagner was getting over 20 touches in the afl at the same time.
He should start the season as a B22 half back.
Couldn't agree more re: Wagner. Even in his ill-fated first stint in the side when he was clearly down on training he still looked the most damaging of our kicks from defence taking aggressive options that opened up the play far more often than not. Even when he struggled to hit them I always preferred his options to the safer ones taken by all others in defence in those first 5-6 rounds.

However, being down on confidence and practice, he missed a few of those which led to turnover goals and with the demographics mentioned in your post he became the easiest whipping boy.

Wagner is starting HBF for mine. Was really good in our run of decent form to end the season. JLo in one of pressers made a comment post game “we have found one with Wagner”. As for Williams - he has some promising traits and has run well in the time trials but has a way to go with his body. Still looks like he would weigh in the 60’s.

Wagner's issue is that we have Chapman and Walker (and Hughes) looking for roles in the backline. Chapman the only one of those who I think is locked in as a hbf. And Aish is talked about as having a run there this season.

Ryan Cox Chapman
Clark Pearce Aish

To me the final defender comes from Walker or Wagner. Could be both if Longmuir plays Aish more in the wing position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wagner's issue is that we have Chapman and Walker (and Hughes) looking for roles in the backline. Chapman the only one of those who I think is locked in as a hbf. And Aish is talked about as having a run there this season.

Ryan Cox Chapman
Clark Pearce Aish

To me the final defender comes from Walker or Wagner. Could be both if Longmuir plays Aish more in the wing position.
Aish would suit the sub I reckon but I understand he is one of JL's favs

If we push Aish out of the 22 then we are doing well, I wanna see us doing well

Ryan Cox Chapman
Clark Pearce Aish

JL said the other day that Chapman is training wing.

I think there is room for Walker and Wagner with Clark. Aish will fit somewhere.

Wagner vs Walker, I’m going Wagner everyday of the week but Walks is first in out of the peel backline depth.

Wagner is just much more creative, better disposal and even though Walker is faster Wags seems to use what he has much more.

Aish could be pushed to Sub role which he could thrive in tbh.

Yeah I don't buy into Wags vs Walks. Play them both and find someone else to drop. Wags is better with the ball in hand, Walks is better without ball in hand.
Thinking the same, if anything, I'd have Wagner more challenging Clark for his spot due to attributes (obviously we don't drop Clark)

Thats why I reckon Aish is the one out, Clark/Chappy/Wagner/Walker is better than Aish

Aish can either be wing only or move to sub

Defensive 7 will be Cox, Moose, Ryan, Clark, Chappy, Wagner, Walker - good defense and good bounce from defense

I think playing all three is a no brainer. Wagner and Clark are good offensively and I agree with Docker82 that Clark looks ready to go next level. Walker is the best lock-down and is a better short kick than the other two he just doesn't get into positions to use it enough yet. He will also be an offensive weapon in time.

If neither Chappy or Young are playing back (which it sounds like they aren't), then I am playing all 3. Aish is the 7th defender/midfield/wing option on the bench.

Chappy would do anything for this team & is too brave for his own good at times. Looking forward to seeing him on the wing getting some outside ball & using his running ability to break the lines & dominating between the arcs.

I love watching his draft video & how he does exactly that off half back & runs through the middle of the ground to get to the next contest. I can see him pushing back to intercept, hit a target & then get it again further up the ground. A lot of this video he looks like a wingman who is pushing back to help the defence.

Tough match up for a standard wingman when he pushes forward as well.

Thinking the same, if anything, I'd have Wagner more challenging Clark for his spot due to attributes (obviously we don't drop Clark)

Thats why I reckon Aish is the one out, Clark/Chappy/Wagner/Walker is better than Aish

Defensive 7 will be Cox, Moose, Ryan, Clark, Chappy, Wagner, Walker - good defense and good bounce from defense
Based on consistency of output, experience and versatility Aish would be ahead of Clark/Chappy/Wagner and Walker. He can play back, mid, wing, forward or tag.

I would drop Ryan xx

Based on consistency of output, experience and versatility Aish would be ahead of Clark/Chappy/Wagner and Walker. He can play back, mid, wing, forward or tag.
Just feel like Young is the one that will shuffle back next year if we are exposed, kind of taking Aish's role (Young also had run with/tag roles to end the year)

I certainly wouldn't be playing Aish forward, sub works though as it allows him to come on for almost anyone (or wing if he beats out the other wingers)

Yeah I don't buy into Wags vs Walks. Play them both and find someone else to drop. Wags is better with the ball in hand, Walks is better without ball in hand.

Wagner was impressive offensively but really wasn’t defensively imo.

Walker made a few mistakes but is actually okay offensively and a gun defensively.

Personally I think it’s between Aish and Wagner for the last spot in the back seven and JL loves Aish so we all knows who wins.

Perhaps Walker is left out if he hasn’t got enough minutes but I think he’s best 22.

I’ve assumed this whole time Chapman returns to the backline. I think we need a few mid sized players in the backline (not just Ryan).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back