• Chad Warner

Votes: 178 66.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Baker is a free agent, no idea what Richmond's salary cap is, you'd suspect it wouldn't be the best in the world, probably a bit of backending to ensure they had those years at the top

Might be able to grab him without a trade, altho WCE seem more likely tbh, he nearly went there 2 years ago when he was out of contract

EDIT: might not be a free agent actually, was a slightly mature ager so I think i've got it wrong

Liam Baker, drafted 2017. 2018, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 = one year short of Free Agency

Liam Baker, drafted 2017. 2018, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 = one year short of Free Agency
Yep, went undrafted in 2016, played in that Subi GF loss in 2017

Unfortunate as free agency would have been handy, altho it does make it interesting if WCE would be willing to give up capital for someone his age, if he was a free agent then I reckon they hand him a sack of money as they lose another couple of oldie at the end of the year

His height is relevant when people are discussing shifting out the medium sized players from our side to fit him in.

I expect he will make our side better whether he was playing forward or back, but I wouldn't expect him to cost a fortune in trade either.
Never said he’d cost a fortune. Expect a second rounder for him. You asked and I listed 6 mediums that he was better than, including mids.

His height is relevant when people are discussing shifting out the medium sized players from our side to fit him in.

I expect he will make our side better whether he was playing forward or back, but I wouldn't expect him to cost a fortune in trade either.
Is it always like for like with selections? You would have to move the magnets around but if Liam Baker was in our side he’d be getting picked before taller guys like Chapman, Walker, Banfield, Hughes, Erasmus, Johnson, Sharp, Aish, and probably even Fyfe.

We always over value our players and under value others. Baker is a 2x premiership player and runner up fairest and best for the tigers. He’s an elite talent.

Is it always like for like with selections? You would have to move the magnets around but if Liam Baker was in our side he’d be getting picked before taller guys like Chapman, Walker, Banfield, Hughes, Erasmus, Johnson, Sharp, Aish, and probably even Fyfe.

We always over value our players and under value others. Baker is a 2x premiership player and runner up fairest and best for the tigers. He’s an elite talent.
The list of players you listed him replacing is absolutely ludicrous. Baker is getting pumped up way over the top here. Looking at his career averages on afl tables and it is very underwhelming for the hype around him.

(Averages) 17.96 disposals, 0.36 goals, 2.44 tackles, 0.97 clearances, 2.08 rebounds, 2.5 i50's over 110 games.

Schultz was a much better player.

The list of players you listed him replacing is absolutely ludicrous. Baker is getting pumped up way over the top here. Looking at his career averages on afl tables and it is very underwhelming for the hype around him.

(Averages) 17.96 disposals, 0.36 goals, 2.44 tackles, 0.97 clearances, 2.08 rebounds, 2.5 i50's over 110 games.

Schultz was a much better player.
Schultz is a better forward. If you were to conduct a poll with only neutrals on who is the better player, I'd be backing Baker to win it. Like I said, we overate our own players on here.

Schultz is a better forward. If you were to conduct a poll with only neutrals on who is the better player, I'd be backing Baker to win it. Like I said, we overate our own players on here.
Statistically Switta is a better forward than Baker, however Richmond seem to play him all over the ground, Aish is probably the better comparison, they are very similar from a stats point of view, Baker wins offensively but Aish wins contested play. Almost identical in disposals, metres gained.
I think he’d make us better, taking Wagners place but with more versatility. Think he’s a nice to have, not a must have.

100%.
Can understand fans overrating their own players but it’s worth being impartial when considering other players that could improve us.
The reason I’m a fan of Baker is he’s a warrior, a gritty little fighter who is dogged and has a proven hard edge in big final and massive games at the MCG over the years. We don’t have enough guys like that. He would bring intangibles that cannot be measured via stats. I watched the 2013 prelim highlights on another thread here last week. Baker would have fitted in well on that team. Ross Lyon loves him and actually mentioned on Footy classified one night last year that we tried before to get him to freo.

We have been a soft team in this league in recent seasons. There is no debate about that - the results and facts speak for themselves. Even in 2022 when we played some decent footy, and finished 5th, we were not seen as a serious finals threat and that’s exactly how it turned out. Despite having plenty of talent no one takes us seriously, not yet.
That will hopefully change as the players get older and tougher.
See a few posters above comparing him to Aish - if you went across to the main board right now and asked all non Richmond or freo fans who is the better player, I’d guess 95% would say Baker. They are different levels altogether. And I don’t mind Aish - he’s a solid utility.

100%.
Can understand fans overrating their own players but it’s worth being impartial when considering other players that could improve us.
The reason I’m a fan of Baker is he’s a warrior, a gritty little fighter who is dogged and has a proven hard edge in big final and massive games at the MCG over the years. We don’t have enough guys like that. He would bring intangibles that cannot be measured via stats. I watched the 2013 prelim highlights on another thread here last week. Baker would have fitted in well on that team. Ross Lyon loves him and actually mentioned on Footy classified one night last year that we tried before to get him to freo.

We have been a soft team in this league in recent seasons. There is no debate about that - the results and facts speak for themselves. Even in 2022 when we played some decent footy, and finished 5th, we were not seen as a serious finals threat and that’s exactly how it turned out. Despite having plenty of talent no one takes us seriously, not yet.
See a few posters above comparing him to Aish - if you went across to the main board right now and asked all non Richmond or freo fans who is the better player, I’d guess 95% would say Baker. They are different levels altogether. And I don’t mind Aish - he’s a solid utility.
I think increased midfield minutes from Fyfe, Young and Johnson will help with the physicality and hardness we have lacked in the past few years. Johnson in particular has some mongrel in him, I pissed myself laughing when he picked up an opponent as was about to dump him on his head (like he’d done to Zorko earlier in the year) you could literally see he had to fight his natural instinct and instead just held onto him until the ump blew the whistle and he placed him back on the ground.

100%.

I agree with the intangibles you mention Baker would being, but also don't consider him a must have player. If we were to trade the right equilibrium must be struck (eg 2nd rounder at most).

I agree with the intangibles you mention Baker would being, but also don't consider him a must have player. If we were to trade the right equilibrium must be struck (eg 2nd rounder at most).

This is the reason i don't have any desire for him. That level of trade for Baker is fantasy, he's costing at least a first, with perhaps something going back our way.

Would rather keep our firsts for McDonald or just draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s not coming for a second rounder lol

He would cost the same as Schultz at least.
You are buying a prover quality AFL player that should give 100 high quality games to the club.

Jeez even Liam Henry went for a second rounder and there’s a big difference between those two players

Yes, posters who are less likely to watch Fremantle games are more likely to say Baker is better. That doesn't place them on different levels. Statistically they are very close.

I'm comfortable with the idea of a trade similar to Schultz, not a get at all costs trade. Schultz was a borderline keep at all costs player.

If WC are at all interested, their second is definitely going to be better than the saints.
I’d be ok with a late first rounder if a late second came back.

Perhaps we could trade a couple of our firsts and St Kilda's second to a club for their pick #5 and #25

Then send #25 for Baker.

Dodo or SoS might get away paying a 2nd for Baker. Our blokes will probably let the Tigers choose which of our first rounders they'd like and throw in the 2nd as well.

Literally the only time we get value in trades is trading out our contracted players. In every other scenario we pay AT LEAST market rates and usually more and we get less.

Would be the steal of the century if we got Baker for pick 25. So thats not going to happen.

I reckon we would hand over either of Collingwood or ports first without a second thought and that would still be an excellent deal for us.

Yes, posters who are less likely to watch Fremantle games are more likely to say Baker is better. That doesn't place them on different levels. Statistically they are very close.

I'm comfortable with the idea of a trade similar to Schultz, not a get at all costs trade. Schultz was a borderline keep at all costs player.
Baker finished 2nd and 4th in the tigers B&F at 22 and 23 years of age.
He’s light years ahead of Aish in my opinion. One of the cleanest ball handlers in the comp, up there with Lachie Neale. Can barely ever remember him fumbling. Also a previous winner of the AFLPA most courageous award, he’s exactly what we need. Hard, consistent and classy.

Would be the steal of the century if we got Baker for pick 25. So thats not going to happen.

I reckon we would hand over either of Collingwood or ports first without a second thought and that would still be an excellent deal for us.

Baker finished 2nd and 4th in the tigers B&F at 22 and 23 years of age.
He’s light years ahead of Aish in my opinion. One of the cleanest ball handlers in the comp, up there with Lachie Neale. Can barely ever remember him fumbling. Also a previous winner of the AFLPA most courageous award, he’s exactly what we need. Hard, consistent and classy.
I think turning Schultz into him would be fine. I’d have him a slightly better player but not quite the positional need and the contract status makes up for any difference in value. Reckon steal of the century is a stretch though haha. Good/nice player at 27 if he was playing for us

Agree with Joao that we play too nice anyway and by way of just having a late first we’d give that up

Yep I agree. Im pretty sure what the stats don't show is that Baker provides elite speed and elite kicking skills. He definitely fills a need in terms of the type of player we need more of.

Yep I agree. Im pretty sure what the stats don't show is that Baker provides elite speed and elite kicking skills. He definitely fills a need in terms of the type of player we need more of.
Elite speed? I always thought he was fast enough but not someone I think of when I think of speed. Aggression, courage, one-touch is the kind of things I associated with him.

I do think this will all be irrelevant anyway and the only way he leaves is if the Tigers miraculously realise just where their list is at and they soft push him out

Last edited:
Back