Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just feel like Young is the one that will shuffle back next year if we are exposed, kind of taking Aish's role (Young also had run with/tag roles to end the year)

I certainly wouldn't be playing Aish forward, sub works though as it allows him to come on for almost anyone (or wing if he beats out the other wingers)
Young has great defensive capacity, but surely the value of him midfield is to shift his role to being attacking. We need delivery forward and he has the weapons.

Wagner was impressive offensively but really wasn’t defensively imo.

Walker made a few mistakes but is actually okay offensively and a gun defensively.

Personally I think it’s between Aish and Wagner for the last spot in the back seven and JL loves Aish so we all knows who wins.

Perhaps Walker is left out if he hasn’t got enough minutes but I think he’s best 22.

I’ve assumed this whole time Chapman returns to the backline. I think we need a few mid sized players in the backline (not just Ryan).
I think Chapman plays back as well. Another season into Draper and Davies will give more options.

Wagner was impressive offensively but really wasn’t defensively imo.

Walker made a few mistakes but is actually okay offensively and a gun defensively.

Personally I think it’s between Aish and Wagner for the last spot in the back seven and JL loves Aish so we all knows who wins.

Perhaps Walker is left out if he hasn’t got enough minutes but I think he’s best 22.

I’ve assumed this whole time Chapman returns to the backline. I think we need a few mid sized players in the backline (not just Ryan).
Why not move Aish to the midfield and get JOM half forward?

Why not move Aish to the midfield and get JOM half forward?

JOM is too slow to play HFF imo.

Think Frederick and Switta play the flanks pretty well tbh. People have just got to not expect 2 goals a game from them - it’s never going to happen playing their roles.

JOM is too slow to play HFF imo.

Think Frederick and Switta play the flanks pretty well tbh. People have just got to not expect 2 goals a game from them - it’s never going to happen playing their roles.
Maybe not HFF specifically but he can definitely play as a forward.

I think playing all three is a no brainer. Wagner and Clark are good offensively and I agree with Docker82 that Clark looks ready to go next level. Walker is the best lock-down and is a better short kick than the other two he just doesn't get into positions to use it enough yet. He will also be an offensive weapon in time.

If neither Chappy or Young are playing back (which it sounds like they aren't), then I am playing all 3. Aish is the 7th defender/midfield/wing option on the bench.
I see young back 70 percent with small runs through the middle. Not the other way around.

In reality Brayshaw and Serong will both play at least 65 percent midfield. Fyfe at least 50 percent. Then players like Aish , Young, Switta etc will do small stints in there

JOM is another who needs midfield time

I see young back 70 percent with small runs through the middle. Not the other way around.

In reality Brayshaw and Serong will both play at least 65 percent midfield. Fyfe at least 50 percent. Then players like Aish , Young, Switta etc will do small stints in there

JOM is another who needs midfield time

How have you come up with that conclusion? Young has been training with the midfield group the whole time, and not with the backs at all. He has talked to the media about preparing to play midfield and the difference from preparing for the backline, so have the coaches to a degree - do you think it is all smoke and mirrors? What's the point of it if it is?

JOM has been training with the forwards so I am expecting to see him forward. Aish likewise with the backline. Switkowski may play midfield for small stints as he has the last couple of years (there was talk that he may also do stints off the half back as well).

How have you come up with that conclusion? Young has been training with the midfield group the whole time, and not with the backs at all. He has talked to the media about preparing to play midfield and the difference from preparing for the backline, so have the coaches to a degree - do you think it is all smoke and mirrors? What's the point of it if it is?

JOM has been training with the forwards so I am expecting to see him forward. Aish likewise with the backline. Switkowski may play midfield for small stints as he has the last couple of years (there was talk that he may also do stints off the half back as well).

You can only fit 3 people into the midfield.

Maybe 5 if you include the wings, but that is more than likely to be Sharp, Chapman etc

Fyfe, Brayshaw, Serong have all been training for midfield and other players will run through the midfield. JOM , Aish, Switta etc

I think Young is more versatile so is more able to play other positions.

What percentage of midfield time do you give to all the players?

Maybe 5 if you include the wings, but that is more than likely to be Sharp, Chapman etc

Fyfe, Brayshaw, Serong have all been training for midfield and other players will run through the midfield. JOM , Aish, Switta etc

If Young, Serong, Brayshaw, and Fyfe play 75% game time in the midfield and not anywhere else, then there is no room for another starting inside square players.

Which position would Liam Baker play for us?

If Young, Serong, Brayshaw, and Fyfe play 75% game time in the midfield and not anywhere else, then there is no room for another starting inside square players.
If those 4 were capable of playing 75% game time in the middle for 23 rounds we’d be playing finals. It’s a long season and I don’t think Fyfe or Young have the tank for that, so we’d need to rotate others through there as well.
The congested wing role is nearly another inside mid role, which is why I like Johnson playing it. There has already been comments made about Switta playing the defensive role when Fyfe is in the middle to cover the opposition outlets when we don’t get first hands on the ball. Jackson can play brief stints as an inside mid as well for some shock value.
I think most games we’ll rotate 6-7 players through the inside mid/congested wing roles.
AB, Serong, Young, Fyfe, Switta and Johnson would be my first choice, with cameos from Jackson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah.

They all may be 60% which is fine, but I personally think Young will be less as he can play back easily. Maybe 40/40/20 bench.

Could be wrong.

Yeah.

They all may be 60% which is fine, but I personally think Young will be less as he can play back easily. Maybe 40/40/20 bench.

Could be wrong.
This is one of the big strategy issues for us.

I think we need greater potency coming out of the midfield, and Young (as well as Johnson) can provide that.

There is talk about Chapman on a wing, but until it happens it is talk. I'd like to see it, and expect he may get a bit of a taste for it, but if we assume Sharp is an 'in' that's a big change. Aish and Johnson sharing one wing and rotating to other roles is my tip.

Four mids playing 75% of the game midfield is crazy talk. Across the league it doesn’t happen.

Good teams have 9-10 options to play through the middle.

It was one of our great weaknesses last year. Until Young went into the midfield, only Brayshaw and Serong were better than AFL standard mids for Freo.

I think we need greater potency coming out of the midfield, and Young (as well as Johnson) can provide that.

There is talk about Chapman on a wing, but until it happens it is talk. I'd like to see it, and expect he may get a bit of a taste for it, but if we assume Sharp is an 'in' that's a big change. Aish and Johnson sharing one wing and rotating to other roles is my tip.
How many km do you think Sharp has in him?
Seems to be already leading the club. Clarkson used that ability to a tee with B Hill.
I’d say metres gained will increase, plus he has a good leg and goal sense.
We have the speed, distance to run other clubs ragged, if we can get the ball on
the outside.
Especially off half back, but if Ryan, Pearce, Hughes, are slow to react, that
momentum is lost.
It appears that our midfield combos were poor last year until Young was added.
We were too small or slow, and it appears that there is zero flexibility and the
proof was preseason.
Always looks good with controlled outcomes, tactically we are an easy read.
Good teachers work on your weaknesses and maintain your strengths.
It’s why we needed to employ an outside thinker to systematically pull us
apart. The same crap was allowed with Ross surrounded in the end by Yes men.

How many km do you think Sharp has in him?
Seems to be already leading the club. Clarkson used that ability to a tee with B Hill.
I’d say metres gained will increase, plus he has a good leg and goal sense.
We have the speed, distance to run other clubs ragged, if we can get the ball on
the outside.
Especially off half back, but if Ryan, Pearce, Hughes, are slow to react, that
momentum is lost.
It appears that our midfield combos were poor last year until Young was added.
We were too small or slow, and it appears that there is zero flexibility and the
proof was preseason.
Always looks good with controlled outcomes, tactically we are an easy read.
Good teachers work on your weaknesses and maintain your strengths.
It’s why we needed to employ an outside thinker to systematically pull us
apart. The same crap was allowed with Ross surrounded in the end by Yes men.
Not quite getting if you are commenting directly on something in my post.

Yes, I am confident Sharp has the running ability. I have very little knowledge beyond that (yes I know he is a long kick and was AA Junior). To me it is nerve racking to think he is our #1 winger, although I am really happy to have him on board.

My expectation on the %s based on total game time:
  • 3 midfielders will ~85% game time of which 70% will be centre midfielder, 15% flanks/wings - I expect this to be Serong, Brayshaw and Young (2022 was Serong, Brayshaw and Mundy);
  • 1 midfielder will have ~65%, 50 % in the centre square midfield, 15% flanks/wings - expect this to be Fyfe (or Erasmus if injured) (2022 was Brodie, could still potentially play this role depending on form and/or injury);
  • Remaining 20% (total of 300%) of the centre square time will come from others including most significantly Johnson (Wing/HBF/HFF), O'Meara (HFF), Switkowski (FF/HBF), Aish (HBF/Wing) who will otherwise play on the flanks or wing.
I think these will check out against the TOG across the last two years.
Four mids playing 75% of the game midfield is crazy talk. Across the league it doesn’t happen.

Good teams have 9-10 options to play through the middle.

It was one of our great weaknesses last year. Until Young went into the midfield, only Brayshaw and Serong were better than AFL standard mids for Freo.
I think most teams have four players that play the majority of the midfield time (Taylor did some analysis of whom attended the centre bounces for a few teams and the 75%-80% of the time it was made up of 1 of these 4 players), but I agree that you need a number of options to run through there - I think our options are (from most centre midfield time to least):
  • Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Fyfe, Johnson, O'Meara, Switkowski, Aish, Jackson (situational), Walters (situational), Clark (situational).

If those 4 were capable of playing 75% game time in the middle for 23 rounds we’d be playing finals. It’s a long season and I don’t think Fyfe or Young have the tank for that, so we’d need to rotate others through there as well.
The congested wing role is nearly another inside mid role, which is why I like Johnson playing it. There has already been comments made about Switta playing the defensive role when Fyfe is in the middle to cover the opposition outlets when we don’t get first hands on the ball. Jackson can play brief stints as an inside mid as well for some shock value.
I think most games we’ll rotate 6-7 players through the inside mid/congested wing roles.
AB, Serong, Young, Fyfe, Switta and Johnson would be my first choice, with cameos from Jackson.
great point.

Load management is important.

Players do need a secondary role.

Re Young, his clearance game possibly also impacts how we go about it (assuming he's close to a full time mid).

If Fyfes able to play a substantial role as a midfielder he addresses that regardless. If he can't, and Young isn't an above average clearance player (possibly by design), we're back to trading off the better ball winner v ball users?

Re Young, his clearance game possibly also impacts how we go about it (assuming he's close to a full time mid).

If Fyfes able to play a substantial role as a midfielder he addresses that regardless. If he can't, and Young isn't an above average clearance player (possibly by design), we're back to trading off the better ball winner v ball users?

I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure Young was a high clearance winner when playing mid. Obviously it's a small sample size.

I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure Young was a high clearance winner when playing mid. Obviously it's a small sample size.
Average 4.4 which is average(ish). It's not low but to make the top 20 clearance players in the comp you'd need to average 5.5. Top players are 6.5+
Small sample so we can't conclude anything really. It's good for someone playing their first 5 games onball, but then he's 21 and had 50 games senior experience, not 18 yo draftee.

This my prevaricating way of saying he will probably good but he might not be.

My expectation on the %s based on total game time:
  • 3 midfielders will ~85% game time of which 70% will be centre midfielder, 15% flanks/wings - I expect this to be Serong, Brayshaw and Young (2022 was Serong, Brayshaw and Mundy);
  • 1 midfielder will have ~65%, 50 % in the centre square midfield, 15% flanks/wings - expect this to be Fyfe (or Erasmus if injured) (2022 was Brodie, could still potentially play this role depending on form and/or injury);
  • Remaining 20% (total of 300%) of the centre square time will come from others including most significantly Johnson (Wing/HBF/HFF), O'Meara (HFF), Switkowski (FF/HBF), Aish (HBF/Wing) who will otherwise play on the flanks or wing.
I think these will check out against the TOG across the last two years.

I think most teams have four players that play the majority of the midfield time (Taylor did some analysis of whom attended the centre bounces for a few teams and the 75%-80% of the time it was made up of 1 of these 4 players), but I agree that you need a number of options to run through there - I think our options are (from most centre midfield time to least):
  • Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Fyfe, Johnson, O'Meara, Switkowski, Aish, Jackson (situational), Walters (situational), Clark (situational).

I don’t think it’s quite that high tbh - maybe it is for one or two midfielders.

Realistically I think we need five good inside mids and two good wingers to be a good midfield. Either one of those inside mids or a HFF needs to be able to play wing too. And 2-3 other players from the forwards and defence ideally play midfield/wing minutes.

It was a huge problem for us last year. Serong and Brayshaw (for most of the season) we’re very good. Young was solid once he went in there. JOM was okay at best. Everyone else was either a young developing player or just wasn’t that good at all.

Thankfully I think we have the players on our list to at least sort the inside mids out. Switta and Jackson are options for those 2-3 players that play some midfield - Aish as well if he isn’t playing that wing role. Simpson is the sort of player that can play both mid and forward too.

In few years it’s hopefully Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Erasmus and Johnson as doing most of inside mid minutes. Johnson is also that inside mid that can play wing a bit. Hoping we can find two genuine wingers to add to that group - For some reason I’ve got a really good feeling about Sharp. In an ideal world NOD rediscovers 2022 form and takes the other side (he’s an option for inside mid too btw).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back