Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be close too. Hopefully they are just deciding between them how long a contract he has earned.

The only positive I have is, he has not been mentioned in any trade rumours broadcast. You think there would have been a rumour published somewhere but I guess Schultz last year where we heard nothing until half way through trade week.

As an interesting bit of trivia, since they lost Cameron in 2020, GWS have taken ten first round picks to the draft.
And?
Still made another prelim before Fremantle, and another top 2 before Fremantle whilst giving out 6 years to Darcy and Cox for being unfit and injured.

GWS have got it right.
Also loss Taranto and Hopper in that time. That’s pretty good list management.

I’d rather give 6 years to Himmelberg who’s been elite in the backline.

And?
Still made another prelim before Fremantle, and another top 2 before Fremantle whilst giving out 6 years to Darcy and Cox for being unfit and injured.

GWS have got it right.
Also loss Taranto and Hopper in that time. That’s pretty good list management.

I’d rather give 6 years to Himmelberg who’s been elite in the backline.

They can afford to bleed talent since they had taken more first round picks to the draft than Freo has in 25 years by about year 5 I think it was.

I can run the numbers but they might have a multiple of our total ever first round picks and not even be half our age

Someone should send a question to the HGB podcast this week about Sturts contract!
Might get some insight from Rhino

They can afford to bleed talent since they had taken more first round picks to the draft than Freo has in 25 years by about year 5 I think it was.

They can keep rolling their picks over. Top end talent leaving have given them more high end draft picks but player turnover has them never with a fully settled team. It's more of a draft snowball affect.

Their early on mini draft concessions has allowed this to happen.

Freo started off with almost nothing. Even when GWS are playing well still play in an empty small stadium

Cannot believe Brodie is averaging 35+ and Erasmus too for Peel, yet the coaches highly value JOM’s leadership.
This is why we’re a joke with culture.

We’re scared to drop any leaders. Scared to say nah you’re not good enough at 30, it’s time to retire.
Instead we push out De Boer at 26, yet JOM is sticking around.

Fremantle will never be serious with the contracts given out.

2 more years of it.

If Sturt and Brodie leaves, the whole department is a joke. Thought the club have changed, moved on from sentimentality but nope, this season it’s obvious.
JOM hasn’t had the best couple of weeks but just a few weeks ago had 20 possessions and 2 goals (west coast game) and 21 possessions against Melbourne.

He has been nowhere near as bad as you and others have made out.

He had an interrupted pre-season and has filled a number of different roles. His error against Geelong where he played on was a howler but I don’t have a big problem with his recruitment which was essentially a mid to late second round pick and adding some experience to a very young side.

He has essentially pushed Will Brodie out of the side. JOM being added will not be the reason we lose Sturt or Banfield.

For what it’s worth I hope Sturt stays and Banfield is the one who is shaken out of the tree. It will probably be the other way around.

JOM hasn’t had the best couple of weeks but just a few weeks ago had 20 possessions and 2 goals (west coast game) and 21 possessions against Melbourne.

He had an interrupted pre-season and has filled a number of different roles. His error against Geelong where he played on was a howler but I don’t have a big problem with his recruitment which was essentially a mid to late second round pick and adding some experience to a very young side.

He has essentially pushed Will Brodie out of the side. JOM being added will not be the reason we lose Sturt or Banfield.

For what it’s worth I hope Sturt stays and Banfield is the one who is shaken out of the tree. It will probably be the other way around.
Do you feel JOM has a net positive over say Erasmus, Brodie or NOD?
Recruiting a 30 year old means we’re contending for a flag NOW. Clearly that’s not going to happen, so you have to argue why he’s in the team at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can keep rolling their picks over. Top end talent leaving have given them more high end draft picks but player turnover has them never with a fully settled team. It's more of a draft snowball affect.

Their early on mini draft concessions has allowed this to happen.

Freo started off with almost nothing. Even when GWS are playing well still play in an empty small stadium
Well it was 30 years ago.

We have had plenty of time to get our shit together.

We didn't handle the post 2012-2015 period well.

We can whinge about being set up to fail from the get go unlike GWS.

But that doesn't excuse the last 9 seasons for 1 finals appearance.

We have had enough resources for 20 years to be doing better and expecting more sustainable success even without the premierships.

Well it was 30 years ago.

We have had plenty of time to get our shit together.

We didn't handle the post 2012-2015 period well.

We can whinge about being set up to fail from the get go unlike GWS.

But that doesn't excuse the last 9 seasons for 1 finals appearance.

We have had enough resources for 20 years to be doing better and expecting more sustainable success even without the premierships.
That what makes me worried now.

We are in a good spot. Just need to be patient, and not waste this great platform we have.

Freo of old would over pay for B grade players.

Baker, Warner, two solid smalls pockets and we are set.

Seriously need a one on one defender as well.
Hawthorn are proactive in going after Barass.
Just couldn’t trust Pearce to not break down or have some random freak injury.
Cox after a serious hamstring suddenly looks slow.

Draper and Davies aren’t the best height.

Still can’t believe didn’t offer Hamling two years on minimum money.

Seriously need a one on one defender as well.
Hawthorn are proactive in going after Barass.
Just couldn’t trust Pearce to not break down or have some random freak injury.
Cox after a serious hamstring suddenly looks slow.

Draper and Davies aren’t the best height.

Still can’t believe didn’t offer Hamling two years on minimum money.
We did offer Hamling two years on minimum money. He then got offended that we offered him minimum money and pissed off to Sydney. Where he's so much more valued, clearly.

If Sturt is traded and Banfield is given a new contract that would be just outrageous.

But it’s not just “3 very important guys”. It’s the 3 most structurally important players across the ground.
It’s not about needing to be injury free. It’s about not having those 3 specific players injured at the same time.

Any one of them out, sure we can generally cover for, and compensate around the ground- but all three at the same time is a critical hit to our entire structure and we (or any team) are always going to be up against it.

Injuries happen yes, but this is not something that happens to every team.
Yeah and if Clark, Young and Serong were injured people there would be just as many apologists on here saying they were our three most important players out.
It's just amother coping strategy to avoid confronting the truth that we were the masters of our own destiny and shat the bed again

Last edited:
I am happy for Sam that he is pretty much put to bed the idea he is not an AFL quality player. I would rather we kept him but I somehow think this is really about as good as he is going to be get and any further gains are going to be incremental and experience based. It's not wrist slashing time if he leaves.

1723970439904.png

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back