Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Of anything, your research shows how we should be perfectly covered. We should normally have 2 of 3 available with Draper to cover when needed. It's just been an extra bad season between the three if them
That's assuming that they aren't injured simultaneously.

I also don't rate McDonald at all.

He’s hurt his knee by a bad landing not a soft tissue injury.

This is an over reaction
McDonald was an unlucky injury. It wasn't a recurrent hyper extension of the knee.
Non contact mechanism is not a great sign in terms of chances of recurrence.

That coupled with a history of back stress fractures suggests to me it's optimistic to think he won't miss significant time next season either.

Personally I think the club has deliberately over-recruited talls of all descriptions so that in 2-3 years we have no issues.

Our best 22 has two KPDs, two rucks and two KPFs. Fully fit and firing it’s a very good group too. We’d only be able to improve that group if we got a genuine star of the competition like Sam Taylor. Cox had the worst game I’ve seen him play yesterday but I’d back him to get back to 2022/2023 form tbh.

Our list has six KPDs, four rucks, six KPFs and Corbett who’d almost need to be considered a KPF too (he’s undersized but you can’t play him anywhere else).

I’m completely fine not really touching these parts of our list except for gradually cutting down to a more suitable level. My view is that five KPDs, four rucks and four KPFs with one of the rucks being a forward option is about what we should have.

The obvious needs are small forwards and a bit of extra outside class but I also think it’s quite likely our depth in HBFs and inside mids will disappear by the end of 2026 through retirements and delistings. Think we need to invest 5-6 list spots (trade or draft) into these areas to both improve our list to the point where it’s a top four best 22 but the 20-30 on our list is pretty strong also.

Humming isn’t a reach if you are a professional athlete. If he was that underdone, put in Davies

He’s played a couple of games at Peel and 7 games now in the ones. If he can’t be up to speed by then, I don’t think he will ever be
You’re living in dream world if you don’t think big injuries affect AFL players. Miss a preseason and even the best won’t reach their top level.

Just because you get paid for it, doesn’t change science.

(I couldn't find great sources on VFL games so may be wrong on McDonald)

McDonald has played 139 AFL/WAFL/VFL games since 2015 for an average of 13.9 games per season.

Cox has played 128 AFL/WAFL games since 2017 for an average of 16 games per season.

Pearce has played 144 AFL/WAFL games since 2014 for an average of 13.1 games per season.

Obviously covid has affected those numbers a bit but that's not great. That means assuming they aren't injured at the same time we wouldn't get a full season of 2 experienced KPDs fit out of the 3 of them on average.

This season was probably on the higher end of games missed but to expect all 3 to be fit for more than 2/3 of a season each is highly optimistic.

Cox has had two major injuries in season in eight years throughout his career.

Pearce had barely missed a game for three years until recently. He’s missed 2-3 whole seasons due to impact injuries which massively brings down his numbers.

If we recruited another KPD they wouldn’t be better than Draper will be next year. I reckon we could possibly add Davies to that next year too but obviously he’s got some work to do.

We’re talking about this because we haven’t been lucky this year yet we’ve seen a grand total of three games played by KPDs that aren’t Draper, Pearce and Cox.

Saying Cox might not be 100% is irrelevant btw. We’re playing him if he’s available even if McDonald or a similar level defender was available.

Number 1 defense in the comp and people talking about KPD because Pearce was out. Cox was clearly hampered and McDonald only just coming back.

It’s the least of our worries.

We can’t build a squad based on possibilities of player availability being absent.

We need front half class. We still need a winger.
We don’t need any more KPD. We suffered serious LT injuries to two (note two) KPD in round 1. Blooded Draper (who will be better for the run with another PS), gave Davies a taste and also have Ollie Murphy developing.

It very rare that a team suffers two LT injuries in 1 game and round 1 for that matter. With Josh having played 19 games or whatever he will likely slot back to Peel with no injuries and be next in line along with McDonald. McDonald is back and was listed as our fourth best player on Sat in terrible big ugly ground conditions.

My point is like you say we have suffered 3 injuries to KPD (which is decently rare) and still managed to perform.

At the other end of the ground we lose Josh Treacy and our forward line and teams chances go to poop. Walters is pretty much cooked and we have inconsistent mid forwards.

Draft/trade needs:
Quality small forward, quality medium forward and speedy outside mid that can play wing and/or half back. A developing KPF is more needed than KPD especially if we cut all of Tabs, Corbett and Kuek.

Some possibility that Banfield or Sturt aren’t with us in 2024. Really hope Sturt stays on. But we need a quality mid forward either way. In the mould of Oliver Henry.

There are question marks over the following players:
Stanley (W), Worner (W/HBF), Kuek (KPF), Voss (KPF)

You’re living in dream world if you don’t think big injuries affect AFL players. Miss a preseason and even the best won’t reach their top level.

Just because you get paid for it, doesn’t change science.
Cox missed whole pre-season - scraped into round 1 off no games and then suffered LT injury. This has affected his confidence and mobility. He and McDonald will be ready for start of Pre-season.

Personally I think the club has deliberately over-recruited talls of all descriptions so that in 2-3 years we have no issues.

Our best 22 has two KPDs, two rucks and two KPFs. Fully fit and firing it’s a very good group too. We’d only be able to improve that group if we got a genuine star of the competition like Sam Taylor. Cox had the worst game I’ve seen him play yesterday but I’d back him to get back to 2022/2023 form tbh.

Our list has six KPDs, four rucks, six KPFs and Corbett who’d almost need to be considered a KPF too (he’s undersized but you can’t play him anywhere else).

I’m completely fine not really touching these parts of our list except for gradually cutting down to a more suitable level. My view is that five KPDs, four rucks and four KPFs with one of the rucks being a forward option is about what we should have.

The obvious needs are small forwards and a bit of extra outside class but I also think it’s quite likely our depth in HBFs and inside mids will disappear by the end of 2026 through retirements and delistings. Think we need to invest 5-6 list spots (trade or draft) into these areas to both improve our list to the point where it’s a top four best 22 but the 20-30 on our list is pretty strong also.
Also surely the trial of players like Lobb into the backline would mean that we could transform others like Voss into KPD's if required.

Surely we persist with Voss, he is only 20 years old and a couple of years behind Treacey in terms of game exposure so we are going to have to be patient.
Kicked two on the weekend. He’s involved in a lot of contests. 100% want him for 2-3 years.

We don’t need any more KPD. We suffered serious LT injuries to two (note two) KPD in round 1. Blooded Draper (who will be better for the run with another PS), gave Davies a taste and also have Ollie Murphy developing.

It very rare that a team suffers two LT injuries in 1 game and round 1 for that matter. With Josh having played 19 games or whatever he will likely slot back to Peel with no injuries and be next in line along with McDonald. McDonald is back and was listed as our fourth best player on Sat in terrible big ugly ground conditions.

My point is like you say we have suffered 3 injuries to KPD (which is decently rare) and still managed to perform.

At the other end of the ground we lose Josh Treacy and our forward line and teams chances go to poop. Walters is pretty much cooked and we have inconsistent mid forwards.

Draft/trade needs:
Quality small forward, quality medium forward and speedy outside mid that can play wing and/or half back. A developing KPF is more needed than KPD especially if we cut all of Tabs, Corbett and Kuek.

Some possibility that Banfield or Sturt aren’t with us in 2024. Really hope Sturt stays on. But we need a quality mid forward either way. In the mould of Oliver Henry.

There are question marks over the following players:
Stanley (W), Worner (W/HBF), Kuek (KPF), Voss (KPF)
This argument could be put to bed if the coaching group had shown some faith
in some of the guys playing well at Peel. That and manufacturing roles to help
the team overall.
Reidy was the obvious choice if Darcy is so important to winning games, instead
They rushed him back every time.
Pearce coming back is purely inexperience too, should never of happened.
Davies proved himself up to the job, needed a rest, similar to Draper but yet
again they would rather play Cox who is underdone and is not a true FB.
Then you have a forward line with no defensive capabilities and the ball comes
out on rebound or turnovers too many times.
The players that debuted this year, all of them showed something even if it was as
the sub.
I’d be more worried about the coaching issues, inexperienced, conservative thinking and no faith in the total list to play a role, development.
Tackling and pressure are major KPI’s if you want to win finals, that means
encouraging aggressive traits and physicality.
Besides Treacy, Voss, Emmett, McDonald, the rest are either too lean or overweight.
We have most of the answers on the list, guidance, encouragement is what’s lacking.

Trade Cox to Adelaide in a deal that will assist in bringing Curtain to Freo.

Yes I am being reactive based on the weekends game. I’m just still in complete shock in how bad his performance was.

No preseason.
Not playing his best role
Hamstring obviously causing him issues. I am not sure he should have played, Davies was the better choice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s 10x the player compared to the level Cox played at yesterday which was below WAFL standard. He never got out of 2nd gear and jogged around. He allowed uncontested marks inside our defensive 50 after 50m kicks that hung in the air.
This is Cox every week. He hates a 1 on 1. He's as soft as they come. Great intercept marker but when he is forced to defend then he is a liability. He also refuses to go back with the flight. If he gets under the footy he quits immediately. He has shown this so many times over his career. In saying all that, when Pearce plays and he can play loose, he's great! A lot to work on in the offseason.

This is Cox every week. He hates a 1 on 1. He's as soft as they come. Great intercept marker but when he is forced to defend then he is a liability. He also refuses to go back with the flight. If he gets under the footy he quits immediately. He has shown this so many times over his career. In saying all that, when Pearce plays and he can play loose, he's great! A lot to work on in the offseason.

I disliked Cox but was made to eat my words when he intercepted everything a few times in the last 24 months. Cox back shoulder is one of the worst defenders in the afl. Cox playing loose unfit, against a running team like GWS, catastrophic.

Ryan and Cox is the same backline, against a running team, cause for concern long term.

Especially as Pearce likes to play in front of his key forward and often pushes forward hard.

If Draper progresses like we’d expect next pre-season. Not to mention if we get Isaac Cummings who’s apparently on our radar.

There’s a world where Cox might not be best 22.

Mind you fit and firing he is, big preseason needed for him.

I disliked Cox but was made to eat my words when he intercepted everything a few times in the last 24 months. Cox back shoulder is one of the worst defenders in the afl. Cox playing loose unfit, against a running team like GWS, catastrophic.

Ryan and Cox is the same backline, against a running team, cause for concern long term.

Especially as Pearce likes to play in front of his key forward and often pushes forward hard.

If Draper progresses like we’d expect next pre-season. Not to mention if we get Isaac Cummings who’s apparently on our radar.

There’s a world where Cox might not be best 22.

Mind you fit and firing he is, big preseason needed for him.
I would like to see Draper in with Pearce and drop Cox to the 2’s

Geez an injured season by Cox (busting his butt to get back out there) and you all are at his throat. The man is a rock next to Pearce and Ryan when they play together. The real issue for me is how we let a small forward run amok when we apparently have enough players to match up on him.

The issue is we need to have a replacement for PEARCE. An actual capable lockdown FB, the next closest is MacDonald so to me that says go find one (and it isn't Murphy).

Lots of people blaming that fact that out structural talls were all missing.

As if it will never happen again.

I’ll give you Treacy - he’s been generally resilient and non injury prone.

But Pearce and Darcy are unavailable through injury on a very frequent basis. They are two of our most injury prone players and the stats over the last few years back that up. It’s not remotely surprising they were not available when we needed them most.

Will the club get a pass again next year if Darcy or Pearce are unavailable at the pointy end of the season? Let’s be honest it’s a very realistic possibility.

We are vulnerable in losing three of our talls because our cover combined for maybe twenty games experience between the three of them.

We will be better next season in the same situation, as long as Luke Jackson continues to develop.

The best thing that could happen during preseason is Voss takes a big step forward on marking and demands his spot in the side next to Amiss and Treacy.

If Voss and Treacy are taking big marks we are already half way to finals.

I’ve liked having Draper exposed this season. He’s shown plenty and has plenty to work on. He has potential to be a top line defender.

There is literally no need for another KPD.

Completely agree. Pearce and cox are fragile. Having another ready, and a young kid, is prefect. Draper could play chapmans role if they ended up moving to the wing too.

We are vulnerable in losing three of our talls because our cover combined for maybe twenty games experience between the three of them.

We will be better next season in the same situation, as long as Luke Jackson continues to develop.

The best thing that could happen during preseason is Voss takes a big step forward on marking and demands his spot in the side next to Amiss and Treacy.

I’d put Knobel in there too. A few AFL games next year would be ideal.
Knobel is a true forward/ruck that skill set is a game changer.

Best thing about Voss is his aggression, him and Treacy have the same demeanour. As you said, hopefully Voss catches up in the marking and kicking dept.

We need 2 small forwards kicking 20 to 30 goals each, and providing pressure.

Winder and Richards would be brilliant

1 or 2 outside mids, who can hit a player on a lead and run all day.

Would be very handy late in game to have a player who has a massive tank. It would also help our forwards.

We need 2 small forwards kicking 20 to 30 goals each, and providing pressure.

Winder and Richards would be brilliant

1 or 2 outside mids, who can hit a player on a lead and run all day.

Would be very handy late in game to have a player who has a massive tank. It would also help our forwards.
Hmmm we've pretty much got that with Frederick and Sturt tbh.

We need both a genuine crumber rather than a medium forward and a HFF that can hit the scoreboard. That and I think we need a non-tall getting to 40+

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back